All reviewsrecommend casavery comfortable staystayed herevisit windhoekfirst nightsofataxisnamibiadeskgyminternetsafari
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Just coming to the end of a 3 night stay at the Casa Blanca. Have to agree with a previous review about the owner being totally hands-off - we've barely caught sight of him since we've been here. This is our first trip to Africa, let alone Windhoek, and while we don't need handholding it would have been helpful to at least be given a map and some advice on how to get to the city centre (which is a NAD$50 taxi ride away, potentially a lot more if you catch one after dark, depending how confident you are at negotiating!) and more importantly, some recommendations on what to do and where to eat, etc!! The few guidebooks in the hotel seem to be at least 5 years old, and the staff that are around are very nice but clearly have their own jobs to do and are not in a position to help out with this. I asked one lady in reception about a restaurant I'd heard (online) was good, as I wanted to know if it was open on a Sunday - all I got was a vague 'hmm I've heard of it but don't really know anything about it' - no offer to call for us, or assist in any way, really! Breakfast is pretty reasonable with some nice breads, a few cold cuts, some processed cheese, and eggs and bacon cooked for you if you like. We took the set dinner menu one night which was pretty basic - tomato soup which may or may not have been out of a tin, a fish curry which was really excellent, but then dessert was tinned pineapple in jelly which I thought was a bit of a cop-out, given they advertise their food as being delicious. Also had the braai on the sunday because we'd had enough of being ripped off by taxi drivers going into the city; meat, couple of salads and garlic bread were good enough, but no starter, no dessert, they had absolutely no chilled wine on the premises, and this for NAD$125 per person. All in all they seem to be barely prepared for guests, I felt like we'd turned up unannounced or something. Rooms are good and ours was very spacious; the property is pretty, lush and peaceful, with a small plunge pool and a couple of nice courtyards - there is potential for this place to be really excellent, but there seems to be zero interest in providing service beyond the basics.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DohaOtter
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We were passing through Windhoek to visit Etosha so we wanted a hotel that served dinner. I emailed the owner who responded saying 'Yes we do serve dinner'. I then emailed back asking to book the night of the 18th September. When we arrived late in the afternoon we asked the receptionist when was dinner only to be told 'we don't serve dinner on Saturday nights'!
I produced a copy of the owner's email so she phoned him and he tells her to tell us that he didn't notice that the date was a saturday and that we should go across the road to the shopping mall where we can have dinner at a steakhouse!
That night there was a party at one of the houses behind the hotel and the noise went on for hours - we pity the people that were staying at the back of the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kruger-2-kalahari
Reviewed 23 September 2010

My wife and myself stayed for two nights in this small boutique-type hotel. It is located in a quite neighbourhood with a small shopping mall in walking distance. If you have a car it is a 10 min drive to downtown. Our room was spacious and we had a nice veranda in front of it, which as very nice for having a wine and a cigar in the evening. The heating in the bathroom worked well. The staff is very friendly and the food served for dinner was good. Overall we enjoyed our stay and can recommend this place

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Situated in a pleasant residential area of Windhoek, this hotel must have one of the prettiest gardens in town. As one might guess from the name, the hotel is white and the exterior in Andalusian style. The gardens are full of colourful bougainvillea and other flowers. The nano-sized ‘swimming’ pool is situated in one of the several courtyards; I suppose it must provide a refreshing dip during the hotter months. Dinner must be ordered by 16h00 and is a set menu; breakfast was a rather simple affair. The staff were extremely courteous, helpful and friendly. For what it is, the casa Blanca is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Casa Blanca was a great choice for jet lag recovery. The property and the room were quiet and the beds were comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful in arranging excursions to town and beyond. The home cooked dinner was awesome! Peter and Elke were wonderful hosts.

We only spent a couple of nights in Windhoek, but Casa Blanca would make a great home base for an extended stay in the Windhoek area.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family