“More like Faux-tel Nikki: Avoid unless you have other options” 1 of 5 bubbles

Nikki Hotel
Nikki Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Niamey B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“More like Faux-tel Nikki: Avoid unless you have other options”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I recently stayed there for over a week for business. Our office booked me there because all other options were unavailable due to large conferences being held.

Let me start with some positives: the wi-fi in my 1st floor room worked; the staff for the most part tries to be helpful when asked and in full disclosure, the owner offered me a 10% discount when he learned of my complaints (and I am thankful for that much). However, this in no way compensates for the poor value this place offers, even when compared to other hotels in Niamey.

Here is a summary of what makes this place a faux-tel:
- The first room (around 80USD) I stayed in (room 202) is known to be occupied by a regular client who smokes in the room. After 2 days of trying to cope, I demanded to change rooms. The owner later told me clients are not supposed to smoke in the rooms. When I asked why the rooms have ashtrays, he replied that clients bring their own. Then why are they left in the rooms?
- The second room I stayed in (room 101) is a "suite" (around $120) which basically means a slightly larger room, a couch, a "fancier" bed cover and shams (meaning they had more decorative fringe) and a larger bathroom with bathtub (most other rooms have a shower without a shower stall). Neither room had a top sheet (only the bed cover) and I had to request one and both times, the sheets were frayed and had holes. In the "suite", I also had to request a pillow as I only had the two sham pillows. The pillow I was given had a blood stain on the case that went through the pillow and the other side smelled of arm pits. I kid you not. In the bathroom, there were spare parts inexplicably on the floor (under the sink).
- The restaurant service was atrocious. The nice one-employee there worked hard and long hours and tried his best but had apparently no support or training on how to get organized. As a result, there was no service by 7:15 am on the Monday morning and on other mornings, clients either waited for coffee or bread/croissants which is the main food to be had at that time. I was told they need to pick these up every morning but other hotels manage to have them by 6:30 or so.
- Groundfloor hallway had spare parts of various air conditioning units displayed for days (they were picked up before I left) and one storage room was open, displaying a mess and emitting less than good odors.
The bottom line here is that this place offers poor value, even for Niamey, and you would do better to stay elsewhere, as deplorable as many other options are.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202 which has been occupied by a smoker when I visited. Also, water pressure seems to dec...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Couples
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Horrible place and I was charged as much as a good three star hotel in an European big city. I left it as soon as I could. Stinky rooms for direct connection of bathroom to sewage. Poor or not existing lighting in the room. Each time I tried to go back to my room the magnetic card (sic) did not work and I could not get in.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Federico B

Travellers are raving about these Niamey hotels