“"Luxury"?”

Ranked #51 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
London, England
“"Luxury"?”
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I would be suspicious of any hotel that feels the need to include the word "luxury" in its name. I have stayed here twice before and each time it seems to get worse. The ATM in reception twice completed a transaction but failed to actually give me any money. My room key card stopped working everyday, meaning that when I came in and went to my room I couldn't get in and had to come back down again to get them to re-instate the card. There seemed to be some sort of conference going on there with hundreds of particiapnts. The normal place for breakfast was allotted to their use and the "ordinary" guests went to a tiny room for their breakfast. The breakfast was fine, cereal, fruit juice, fresh bread. Apart from breakfast, we didn't eat in the hotel restaurant for any other meals as past experience told me that they only did African food which was not to my liking. We went to the Sheraton or the Transcorp Hilton for our evening meals. Transcorp came out on top but at a price! The room in the Nicon was ok, when we arrived we were told we had been upgraded. This upgraded room seemed similar to the ordinary rooms, just a lot bigger. One of the highlights of the hotel is the pool, it is quite big and just what I wanted to cool off and get some exercise. It was a bit cloudy and green looking but I went in anyway and didn't suffer any ill effects. The hotel does have a kind of laid back charm to it and the staff were mostly friendly and helpful. When I look at the prices of the opposition, I think I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ludwig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Johannesburg south Africa
Reviewed 10 December 2012 via mobile

Recently ran a 5 day life masters transformational leadership retreat at Nigeria nicon luxury hotel.
Rooms were good. Conferencing was fair with some broken chairs, and small room for 50 pax. I would have liked a better sound system as well.

Service was great. Staff friendly and effective. Loved doing the team building and leadership action learning activities around the pool area.

Room rate was around USD $250 per night for dinner and bed. I slept like a baby each night.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Bayonne, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I was supposed to stay here during my stay in Abuja but the hotel did not honor our reservations. I was taking part in a college fair sponsored by the US Embassy. The US Embassy staff made all of the reservations for our group but the hotel sold our rooms. We ended up eating at the restaurant downstairs of the lobby while the Embassy sorted out the situation. The food was overpriced and terrible. $30 for a dinner buffet with food that was left out for hours. One of my colleagues ordered a small kids sized box of orange juice and was charged $10 for it. After the fiasco we ended up staying at the Best Western and realized we should have stayed there to begin with.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are much better options in Abuja.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lewis C

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Abakaliki, Ebonyi, Nigeria
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Neat, functional and interesting sum up my stay at this great Hotel. The staff are courteous, effective and attentive. The rooms are clean and inviting while the services are satisfying. The bar is well stocked but kind of awkwardly shaped and small. Sumptuous breakfast with a wide range of both local and intercontinental cuisines in the restaurant. The environment is generally quiet and serene.

Room Tip: Rooms on he left overlook the pool area and quite more peaceful than the right side which overlooks...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Abuja
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The only good thing about Nicon luxury is just the view from outside... their service is the worse i've ever experienced all my life..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2012

The only reason you will find yourself in this hotel are if the Hilton Transcorp and Sheraton are full. Well i suppose the close distance between this and the International Conference Centre is very enticing but i can guarantee you thats a sacrifice i'm willing to make from now on!

The Nigeria oil and Gas event happens every February here and was the reason why i've found myself in this utterly useless and shameful excuse for bricks and mortar.

The rooms are extremely dated and filthy. The bed sheets and pillows sometimes have blood on them as one of my colleagues found out one night whilst turning the pillow. The bathrooms are a joke, with brown water at times and the fact they dont feel clean and proper.

The food is horrific. I'm a fan of West African food myself with the Ghanaian Jollof rice with meat stew being my achilles heel but the Nicon food is terrible. The stews look like stagnant wastelands and swamps with bones jutting out, salt was served in a saucer with black bits, salad was not fresh, rice was sickening - my diet ended up being just chips and suya.

The pool isnt cleaned often enough judging by the dirty film layer visible at night and the gym well the trainers in there are telling me not to increase the resistance on the machines for fear of them locking and breaking???

The general decor in this place is woeful and is evident TLC has been absent since the hotel was handed over to the current owners by the Hilton some 30 years back.

The service here is extremely poor, the worst i've ever had. colleague ordered a cheese sandwich, one hour later - service chap - 'is that cheese between the bread?', another hour later a chicken sandwich pops up. My food always took 1 hour to 1.5 hours to arrive and often with things missing.

The laundry service here is dire and nothing gets done unless you shout, no one picks up your calls when you ring room service or laundry service and they always lie saying someone is coming but no one comes...

I would 100% avoid this hotel and stay in the rather plusher slightly more expensive Hilton. The Nicon should have the i and c removed from its name and become NON luxury hotel because its a complete shambles, the AC doesnt even work in the rooms!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank M7Power
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 February 2012

There are so many things wrong, I hardly know where to start. First, some good things. My bed was comfortable and clean. My room was huge. The TV is a nice flat panel. The pool is nice and there is a decent pool table at the pool bar. WiFi worked well from the lobby, but the ISP for the hotel often failed (not the Nicon's fault). The spaghetti was OK. Now, the rest of the story... The restaurant would put out the prior day's (or older) food at breakfast - at least they recycled. Pastries would start fresh and each day be a little more stale. Mounds of French Toast were always available - even on the day that the man with the key to the egg cabinet did not come to work. BTW, no syrup for the French Toast. The hair dryer in the room had a dilapidated hose that had only wire in places - not the surrounding plastic- so the hot air would dissipate and never make it to the end (or your hair). The tile grout in the shower was grungy. The hot water is too good on the lower floors - you can easily scald yourself. However, it never made it up to the sixth floor where a colleague was staying. Forget about ordering from the menu, you have to ask what is available that day. The pool bar arbitrarily may or may not allow you to order food. There are holes punched into the exterior walls with hoses or some sort of lines running down the outside of the building and then into these crude holes. I don't think the holes went into rooms, they were offices of some sort. The housekeeping staff may take away dirty towels, but not replace them. You can find yourself with one towel after a few days. One room assigned to our group smelled like sewage. I could go on, but what's the point. Don't stay here, just pony up the $$ and go to the Hilton.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business