“Very good”

Ranked #51 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
London, United Kingdom
“Very good”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Very brilliant hotel treated us kindly, my kids were very happy with the staff theres squash and many other activities. I definitely recommend this hotel. It's also a good price!
"This hotel may have been a luxury hotel at some point. It is nothing like that anymore. Electricity out, no hot water, part of the bed linen obviously nit changed. I checked in, but after two hours decided to to Sheraton. Had to argue a while before they refunded my payment, but I did get practically all back." this is not true!

Room Tip: Rooms on the left hand side as soon as you come out of the lift have a very good view!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Jerez De La Frontera, Spain
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My credit card was skimmed at the reception of this hotel! I am sure while I only used it here. Weeks later money was taken from my account from Florida us. Never loose track of your card one second here!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank MarcelyChris

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This hotel may have been a luxury hotel at some point. It is nothing like that anymore. Electricity out, no hot water, part of the bed linen obviously nit changed. I checked in, but after two hours decided to to Sheraton. Had to argue a while before they refunded my payment, but I did get practically all back. If you are with low budget, this could still be an option. I did hear some horror stories from my colleagues staying in some other hotels, so thisnis not the worst.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LPekkala
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This place has grown a bit shabby around the edges in recent years.
It is perfectly comfortable and offers a pleasant stay but it is not the best place as a base for business meetings.
The rooms are large and with great views from the huge windows and while in need of refurbishment are fine.
The staff are helpful.
The restaurant is comfortable with a pleasant atmosphere but seems to mainly focus on buffet meals.
The price is quite a bit lower than other big hotels in town.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
London, England
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I would be suspicious of any hotel that feels the need to include the word "luxury" in its name. I have stayed here twice before and each time it seems to get worse. The ATM in reception twice completed a transaction but failed to actually give me any money. My room key card stopped working everyday, meaning that when I came in and went to my room I couldn't get in and had to come back down again to get them to re-instate the card. There seemed to be some sort of conference going on there with hundreds of particiapnts. The normal place for breakfast was allotted to their use and the "ordinary" guests went to a tiny room for their breakfast. The breakfast was fine, cereal, fruit juice, fresh bread. Apart from breakfast, we didn't eat in the hotel restaurant for any other meals as past experience told me that they only did African food which was not to my liking. We went to the Sheraton or the Transcorp Hilton for our evening meals. Transcorp came out on top but at a price! The room in the Nicon was ok, when we arrived we were told we had been upgraded. This upgraded room seemed similar to the ordinary rooms, just a lot bigger. One of the highlights of the hotel is the pool, it is quite big and just what I wanted to cool off and get some exercise. It was a bit cloudy and green looking but I went in anyway and didn't suffer any ill effects. The hotel does have a kind of laid back charm to it and the staff were mostly friendly and helpful. When I look at the prices of the opposition, I think I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ludwig
Johannesburg south Africa
Reviewed 10 December 2012 via mobile

Recently ran a 5 day life masters transformational leadership retreat at Nigeria nicon luxury hotel.
Rooms were good. Conferencing was fair with some broken chairs, and small room for 50 pax. I would have liked a better sound system as well.

Service was great. Staff friendly and effective. Loved doing the team building and leadership action learning activities around the pool area.

Room rate was around USD $250 per night for dinner and bed. I slept like a baby each night.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Bayonne, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I was supposed to stay here during my stay in Abuja but the hotel did not honor our reservations. I was taking part in a college fair sponsored by the US Embassy. The US Embassy staff made all of the reservations for our group but the hotel sold our rooms. We ended up eating at the restaurant downstairs of the lobby while the Embassy sorted out the situation. The food was overpriced and terrible. $30 for a dinner buffet with food that was left out for hours. One of my colleagues ordered a small kids sized box of orange juice and was charged $10 for it. After the fiasco we ended up staying at the Best Western and realized we should have stayed there to begin with.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are much better options in Abuja.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business