“comfotable enough to go back”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja
Ranked #50 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed 2 July 2013

It was a week working holidays with friends and we booked before arriving there. .the hotel comes with breakfast which was the first meal of the day.i enjoyed their breakfast according to african standard changing our linen daily, supplied tea/coffee (small packets) daily and i felt safe but there were few challenges which need to be addressed: Electricity goes on/ off often,affecting A/C, food in the fridge,and the hotel was noisy .People were friendly but not enough to be comfortable .my friend from the states ,she was comparing the service with that in the states to the one in Abuja,and that was why she recommended the hotel but she was not very pleased with the altitude of some of the staff.Whether the these branches are in africa ,asia they should live up to the name. we will try once more to stay there on our next visit for we still need to do some work at their instititions.

Room Tip: Rooms facing swimming pool noisy
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AmalRiyadh
There are newer reviews for Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I certainly like others before in the reviews had problems and had to see the AGM as the staff did not seem interested.
The rooms are large, the bed was comfortable, room overall was good.
The 'House Keeping' staff were friendly, helpful and had a sense of humour but the restaurant staff were totally different - could do with some guest is important type of training.
The food was OK but nothing to write home about - breakfast mentioned 'English' on the menu - not quite!
I would stay here again as the rooms are good and the AGM said he was going to follow up on some of the observations made, lets hope so.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I spent a night at the hotel. Check in was fast and staff were courteous. I made a reservation by phone two days earlier which was confirmed by the front office. However, upon arrival this had been cancelled. Fortunately, they had enough rooms on my arrival and I got one.
The rooms are quite large, with a kitchenette, working area/ dinning table. Perfect for a long stay.
Unfortunately the bathroom of my room was a bit cramped with sharp edges on the walls which could lead to injury.

Room Tip: Look for rooms with a large bathroom, well spaced WC and bathtub.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Though I stayed for a few days at Hathorn Suites, I enjoyed my stay. The security of the hotel is good. The front desk officers are well trained from my interactions with them. The rooms are good. Their rates are affordable.

It was a good experience. hope to visit Abuja again, when I do I will love a second experience at Hawthorn suit.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 December 2012

This hotel has only big rooms with kitchenette. Bathrooms include wirlpool - but not ever working. Water installation gave me problems: only hot water. That got fixed after 2 days!!!!
Maintenance is poor, furniture only Chinese with typical quality problems. Overpriced.

Room Tip: Rooms are all quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Very, very comfortable bed and a spacious room...good space to work. The room and the hotel were clean, the gym was OK and they served a great breakfast with lots of selection. An overall pleasant stay...but like some of the other reviewers mentioned, needs some general maintenance and upkeep, which I think they were in the process of doing.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed at the Hawthorn Suites twice for several weeks at a time. Once in August 2010 and again in November/December 2010. It is only a 10-15 walk from Treasury House. I stayed at 3 different places in Abuja and this was the best for me.

The hotel is quite newly renovated so everything is clean and in working order. The kitchenette has only a microwave and mini-bar but I made do. The room/suite is spacious and comfortable. The table and chairs serve comfortably as a computer work centre. The beds are comfortable too - not those nasty foam slabs on wooden platforms that seem to be in all the hotels in Nigeria.

I had one incident where a male staff member seemed to be imposing himself into my room but I ejected him and, after speaking to the manager, it did not happen again. When I left the window open, a lizard crawled up the wall and into my room on the 3rd floor - but I knew it would not hurt me - this is Nigeria after all...

My only complaint is about the fitness centre. It is located in a small building in the back garden. The windows do not shut properly and the air conditioner is not adequate, so it is impossible to cool it. The staff do not turn on the air conditioning so even if I went there well after the opening time, the room would be stiffling hot. I even tried calling ahead and asking to have the air conditioning turned on so that it would cool off a bit for me to go down 30 minutes later. They would say they were doing it but no one ever did. I found that in Nigeria people cannot say no. So they say yes whether they are going to follow through or not. It was frustrating but it is their culture and I had to adapt.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business