“Needs some updating.”

Ranked #46 of 82 Hotels in Abuja
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Needs some updating.”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Overall the hotel needs some work and modernization. Nothing, other than the TV in the room has been updated...still seems very "soviet". Rooms are on the darker side since there is just one small window (and ugly drapes) with dark carpet and furniture. The service is ok most of the time, but can get sassy. I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you absolutely must. The only think going for this hotel is that there aren't cockroaches! ...at least none I can see yet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Eric D

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The 1st time in this hotel some years ago I asked for a room change within two hours of checking in bc of a malfunctioning air conditioner. It wasn't that bad a few days ago when I returned, but the room was barely conducive because the space was too big for the 1HP window unit to handle. I didn't bother complaining.

On service, I was amused by the front office personnel's response when I asked to know what my weekend rate covered. He gleefully told me what it didn't cover. In his words 'no food at all, not even breakfast.' When I pointed out that he was concentrating on telling me the opposite of what I asked he smiled away my observation and shifted attention to other things.

Then there was the tasteless breakfast. For the equivalent of 30USD I could eat neither their continental nor Nigerian dish. I paid the bill, but virtually abandoned the meal.

Needless to say that I moved from the restaurant to my room resolved to check out. From my room I called the reception to alert them I would check out immediately. To my horror the person that picked was more interested in sending someone to check the room to ensure all items were intact. When I protested he didn't offer any apology, but just hung up.

Down at the reception, even though I deposited cash for 2 nights plus and indicated I was staying for 3 nights on their check in form, no one cared to ask why I was leaving earlier than indicated. They counted out my balance, printed the bill and handed them to me.

That's my story at this hotel. I checked into a neighboring hotel which I had reviewed few days ago. And am enjoying it here as I type out this review.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Victor O
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The hotel is rather big with gigantic rooms. The facility and rooms do look a bit dated but decent service. The hotel also boasts of a very good and spacious gym to add. The location is good with most offices near by. Breakfast spread is decent but dinner was not that great

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sanket_Singh
Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I stayed in the hotel for only one night. I had my reservations especially after reading the reviews on this website. Since I was already booked by my host, I could not change till I arrived in Abuja. The check in process was okay, so was the check out process. The rooms are very standard. The meals were average, however, the portions were very generous. I would not recommend it since with N. 23,000 you can get cheaper places with good service.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve N
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The only thing going for this hotel is its location in Abuja. It is close to the CBD and has easy access to most of the city.

Other than the above, the hotel is just a little worse than staying at a hostel. Rooms are big but with very poor finishing and facilities. Very few TV channels, sleeping on the bed is like sleeping on a rock, the shower is a real joke cause it just trickles, carpets and threadbare. Food is just average and not much options. Breakfast is always a joke.

There are better and cheaper hotels in Abuja. Just avoid this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Dupri00

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Everything is poor quality yet the price is high. Suggest you avoid at all costs. The IT systems that support a hotel just do not work here and the result is chaos. Give yourself lots of time for check in and out and be prepared for max frustration as the folks in front of you demonstrate complete ineptitude.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Peter S
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I had to stay overnight in Abuja as I missed an evening flight out. This hotel was recommended by a family member. Its location is fairly central, so it's about 45mins drive from the airport.

Paid ₦31,500 for a double room. Not quite sure what they call it, but I think it was the "deluxe room". Despite being the only one checking in, the process took almost 40mins: the person who checked me in spent half that time answering his mobile phone. Major credit/debit cards can be used for payment, which is a plus. You have to leave a refundable deposit on check in.

Hallways smelt of cigarette smoke. I mentioned this to the porter escorting me to the room and he said they get loads of complaints about that. The room size was decent, furnishings were adequate -but disappointing considering how much paid. Air conditioner unit had no control, just on/off; TV was a 14" CRT.

Room didn't smell bad, but it definitely had a not-pleasant smell. It also wasn't cleaned thoroughly, as I found some nail clippings sticking out from under the bed in the morning. Bathroom was clean enough and of fair size.

The restaurant was the only redeeming aspect of my stay here. I stayed on a Thursday night, during which they had a "Chinese" buffet. It's probably ambitious referring to what was on offer as "Chinese" food, but I liked it well enough. This was served in combination with Nigerian dishes.

The fish peppersoup and their "Afang" soup (with "eba") were really good. Less ambitious patrons could try the rice (not the "Chinese" fried rice -that had too much soy sauce) and meat stew, which were also decent. Ultimately, it was a buffet so you may try whatever you please. Wait staff were very courteous.

The bed (as mentioned in other reviews) was rock hard. Didn't affect my sleep however.

I checked out early (before 5:30am), and the same bloke checked me out. This time, it only took 15mins.

In all, not a bad experience. Considering how much it cost however, I think the hotel is very sub-par by international standards.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo