“Good place to stay for business travel, poor restaurant, machines in gym all broken”
Review of Hotel De Bently

Hotel De Bently
Ranked #37 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 25 June 2011

After moving out of the terrible Sheraton in Abuja, I moved to the Rockview, only to find that its restaurant was unspeakably terrible, so based on Tripadvisor reviews I moved to the Hotel de Bently.

The hotel generally deserves the good reviews as a place to sleep in - My room was spotless, the staff was mainly well-trained, keen to help, and friendly. However the following detracted from what would have been a very positive review from me:

1) The restaurant has an extremely impressive menu. However, in practice hardly any of the wonderful meals are available. Most of the time you have the option between a sort of chicken a la king, and fish. All of the dishes are prepared in a similar way, tasting similarly. Not that it was bad, it is just that it gets a bit monotonous to get food that tastes exactly the same night after night. I did not try their breakfast, opting for cereals in my room instead.

2) The gym looks impressive, with two cycles and three treadmills. However, whille I was, not one of these were working properly: The cycles are spinning cycles, but could not be adjusted for workload, two of the treadmills did not work at all, and the remaining one slipped on its rollers, so I could not run for fear of falling

3)Their colour printer/scanner/fax machine was broken

4) Contrary to a review I saw, they do take credit card payments, but only Visa, only if it is a chip card. Their staff did not know how to operate the machine, and had to call in a technician, which will be tricky if you are checking out on your way to the airport, and having to wait for an hour for the technician to come out.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Driesvdc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stockholm
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I spent 6 nights at De Bently during Easter in April 2011. Comparing with all other hotels where I previously have lodged in Nigeria, De Bently clearly stands out! It offers excellent value for money, considering quality of the rooms, facilities and staff services.

The room was perfectly clean, furnished and decorated with taste. All appliances (air-co, TV, safe) in place and working fine. The hotel's chef is talented. All meals that I had at the hotel were well cooked and tasty. The breakfast buffet is excellent, with traditional Nigerian food.

There is a well-kept swimming pool with waiter services. Adjacent to the pool, a small albeit sufficiently equipped gym is available with generous opening hours and a helpful instructor.

The hotel staff is thoroughly service minded and often "walks that additional mile" to satisfy their guests needs; when wireless internet went down, it got fixed. When there was shortage of some food or beverages at the breakfast buffet, some more was prepared. When the door to the gym was locked, it got opened. When I needed a car and driver, it was arranged. Just to mention a few commendable moments.

My compliments to the manager and his staff.

De Bently met and even exceeded my expectations! It definitely merits its 4 stars.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LustansLakejer
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I think this is the best hotel in Nigeria. The people that work there were so nice and the rooms were very clean. The price omg. you cannot beat it. I have already inform all my friend about this hotel. I hope you keep the good job up. NOEL. Baltimore maryland. u.s.a

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I visited Nigeria from UK early this February. I stayed at Hotel de Bently and I had a fantastic stay. Enjoyed every moment I spent at the Hotel. The staffs were excellent , very clean rooms, the bar was exceptional and the pool area was proper clean. My friends and enjoyed our stay very much and the restaurant served great foods and definitely enjoyed the jacuzzi and also made good use of the gym. I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone going to Abuja City.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2011

I stayed in hotel de bently on a business trip, the staff are very friendly, the hotel overall is great. I got a value 4 my money.

• Stayed January 2011
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Location is new, the rooms are clean, and comfortable, and the staff is very friendly.

Abuja Nigeria
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I am staying in the Hotel de Bently as a business traveller with colleagues. I am staying in the largest and most important room in the hotel, because we are using it for daily meetings. Since we checked in, the air conditioning has not worked. The maintenance staff does nothing to correct it (It is CURRENTLY 32C in my room). The front desk staff is polite and apologetic, but has done nothing to correct the situation. They also cannot move me to a new room.
I could tolerate the airconditioning situation (it is not an air conditioner, but a noisy fan) BUT, the situation is compounded by a loud and random noise, which sounds like an alarm clock and wakened me twice at 4 am. Again, the front desk staff are apologetic, but have done nothing. For two nights the staff ignored the problem. Finally, they acknowledged it when the nose began at 11 pm and continued until 1 am on the third night. I am exhausted.

Even the noise could be tolerated, if everything else weren't wrong. For three mornings in a row, there has been NO WATER when wanted to shower. Again, the staff are polite, even kindly, but totally ineffective.

None of these issues would be fatal in and of itself, it is the combination, the frustration, the feeling that I am complaining needlessly and endlessly that makes the experience so terrible. This hotel is not capable of responding to basic needs, never mind the needs of international travellers. What you want from any hotel when on business travel is a clean place to sleep, a comfortable place to work and a place to bathe. The De Bently has failed me in every respect. The one positive thing I can say about it (besides the politeness of the front desk staff) is that the internet is better than my previous stay in Nigeria.

SkinAbuja, Owner at Hotel De Bently, responded to this review, 5 December 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.

I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced while staying with us. Our desire is to always deliver a refreshing experience where every guest feels cared for, valued and respected.

All your comments are noted. I assure you of our best efforts to address all the issues you highlighted.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we do hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your next visit to Abuja.

Yours sincerely,

Francis Ogugua

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels