“valuable staff”

Ranked #35 of 80 Hotels in Abuja
Accra, Ghana
“valuable staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed for three days at de bently and I found the place okey. I want to give special commendation to one Nkechi Ozuroke of the front desk who proved as a great asset to hotel for her hospitable skills. She should be encouraged to keep it up.

My only problem was with the business section which was not up to standard. I could not understand why that section closes at 5pm and also the internet service was not consistent. I hope something could be done about it.

Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Francis O, General Manager at Hotel De Bently, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent business visit to Abuja.

I am pleased to hear that my staff was able to delight you with authentic Bently hospitality during your stay with us.

Your comments about our business center and internet service are noted. We will continue to work hard to meet the needs of our business clients. During your visit, the hotel's new and more robust server was under test run. We are sorry for any inconvenience that must have caused you.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel De Bently soon.

Francis Ogugua

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
lagos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

When it comes to business trips to Abuja, this is my best choice. Rooms are big, Breakfast and dinner buffets are very good, staff is professional, location is excellent, pool is good, the air-conditioning is very efficient. over all i would highly recommend this hotel for any one going to Abuja.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Francis O, General Manager at Hotel De Bently, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

I am glad you were impressed with our hotel and the service delivery from our team.

We are a driven by a strong desire to create a pleasant and wonderful experience for our guests at all times where every guest feels cared for, valued and respected.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we all look forward to welcoming you back to De Bently on your next trip to Abuja.

Lagos, Nigeria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I spent four nights at De Bently with my colleagues, and here is what we went through:

- Although the reviews say that Bently offers free wifi, we found out it was not free at all. Even better, the wifi would not work unless I kept my room door open. The IT guy who promised to fix the routers the following day never did show up again.
- This is the best part: on my second night, I was woken up at 5 am by water dripping on the external part of my AC making a loud, metallic banging noise. When I called the front desk, they first sent a technician who could not do anything. That cost me about half an hour of my sleep. Then, I requested for a room change. Instead of giving me a room at once, the staff first picked a room that had to be made up and would give me a room ready to be occupied only after my pointing out that at 5 am they should be a bit speedier. However, after giving me the other room, the manager, who came out at that point, said I had to move my belongings to the other room that very moment, which I found quite unreasonable. It all ended up with me shouting at five people that I should be able to transfer my things after I wake up. This (I assume, quite obvious) option had not occurred to the manager, and the way he handled the situation was very rude.
- The next room I was in had a connecting door to the next room. Two days later, I was again awoken by a couple having sex next door. The shabby door even let normal after-sex conversation through.
- As someone else pointed out, charging food and drinks on the room is and is not an option at the same time. Short of cash, my colleague and I charged N1000 (about $5) on the room. My colleague was awoken by a call at 6.30 am the following morning asking to pay the bill. At 6.30 am.
- Outside my room, the hotel staff had a hangout place where they would make audible noise even early in the morning - enough to wake me up along with the roosters which voice their cock-a-doodle-doos somewhere nearby.
- My colleague's shower would not work, so he had to use a plastic bucket that was placed in every bathroom for some reason. My shower was more like a water hose but at least working (after letting some rusty water run for a minute or so).
- Mold and rotten fish seem to be the choice of aromas for the rooms, at least for two other colleagues of mine.
- Finally, there is a nifty piece of metal in one of the elevators that almost ripped my shorts. Why that cutting-edge technology was there still remains a mystery for me. Anyway, watch out. It's the elevator on the left.

Those are just some facts. For more subjective matters, here we go:
- The location of the hotel is not very bad but it is on the outskirts of Abuja, so doing multiple business meetings was a problem for us.
- The interior design of the hotel is quite horrendous, with golden mirrors everywhere. Think absolute kitsch.
- The food at the breakfast is reasonable but nothing special and does not change much from day to day.

In general: if you have a few busy days in Abuja, and you want to be sure you get your rest instead of having to deal with problems and surprises every day and night, keep clear and pick some other place in town. The money you'll save with this cheap option (which is cheap only by Nigerian standards) might not be worth the stress and lost sleep. (Real Naija experience, though.)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JKreilis
Francis O, General Manager at Hotel De Bently, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us.

It is regrettable that you had a bad experience during your stay with us. Our desire is to create a pleasant and wonderful experience for our guests at all times.

In order to continue delighting our guests with the best and fastest internet service in Abuja, we have stopped free internet service. Internet is now available for a fee.

Please be assured of my best efforts to address all other issues that you have raised.

Francis Ogugua

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed about 10days on business and really felt the staff were warm, friendly and making every effort to assist, i also got access to the manager for a chat which i felt was good. I believe for what i paid in comparison to other places i got value for my money.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Francis O, General Manager at Hotel De Bently, responded to this review, 2 September 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

New Haven
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I flew 5,000 plus miles and when we got to the hotel they lost our reservation. Funny thing is I had the confirmation and showed them the email. We were told no rooms available and asked to leave. The guard at the gate wouldn't even get up to lift the gate for us, we had to crawl under it. I checked on Hotels.com later on when we were settled and I was surprised to find rooms were available. Don't stay at this hotel, it's over priced, out of the way and pointless.

• Stayed August 2012
Francis O, General Manager at Hotel De Bently, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

It is regrettable that you had a bad experience during your visit to our property. Our desire is to create a pleasant and wonderful experience for our guests at all times.

As a result of the popularity of Hotel De Bently, it is always advisable that potential guest guarantee their booking by prepaying in advance online. All confirmed bookings are always honored 100%.

Once again, thank you for your views and I look forward to welcoming you at Hotel De Bently on your next trip to Abuja for an opportunity to really experience the Bently Experience.

Managing Director
Lagos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Hotel de bently is located in a peaceful environment although not too far from the central business districts of Abuja.
Wifi is relatively fast, is free and you can access it in your room and anywhere within the hotel.
There is also complimentary buffet breafast which is served warm.
Staff are friendly and helpful especially front desk staff and facilities is the rooms are ok.
I will be back to hotel de bently in my next visit to Abuja.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

The facility itself is totally fine, but the staff seemed as if they all just began working last week. Their "policies" were inconsistent and my stay was riddled with contradicting information -- can I sign the bill or do I have to pay cash? The answer/policy changed from day to day. Might I have an itemized bill? This wasn't allowed, for some unspecified reason. The list goes on. I won't begin to mention that our "meeting room" was actually the bar... you get the idea! Not sure why this is a top ranked hotel, as they seriously have much learning to do.... Save yourself some frustration and stay somewhere else. I personally won't be back here again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank global_traveler1009
Francis O, General Manager at Hotel De Bently, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Please be assured of my best efforts to address all the issues you have raised.

From the 5th of July to 20th July 2012, the hotel has been very busy which has necessitated the employment of adhoc staff. As a result of your experience, we have commenced full training of standby Adhoc staff to always be available for call up whenever the Hotel is as busy as it was during your stay. With this they will be grounded on the hotel policies and trained to understand the exceptional customer service culture of the Hotel.

On the issue of itemized billing, we believe it is your right to have itemized billing. I have raised this issue with the front office staff. Please be rest assured of our best efforts to solving this problem.

The hotel has 3 meeting rooms of different capacity and for different cost implications. Sometimes the bar can be used as a meeting room. This is because of the cost benefits accrue-able to the organizers of the meeting.

I am pleased though that you noticed that Hotel De Bently is a top ranked hotel. This is because of our exceptional customer service and our desire to create a pleasant and wonderful experience for our guests at all time.

Once again, thank you for your views and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel De Bently on your next trip to Abuja.

Managing Director