“Indian cuisine in African soil”
Review of wakkis

wakkis
Ranked #2 of 115 Restaurants in Abuja
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dubai
“Indian cuisine in African soil”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Wakkis has cuisine form all over India - including Southern coastal sweethearts Goa and Kerala - but mainly focusing on blander North Indian fare.
Wakkis is a hit with indigenous Nigerians who have had a taste of Indian cuisine due to the high number of Indian expatriates who have called Nigeria home. Resident and visiting Westerners also patronise the restaurant.
The rustic minimalist décor with hard wooden benches is not too comfortable and the high roof makes it a bit too warm and sweaty. Not ambience that helps a comfortable meal out.
The place may be a bit overrated or could be that Wakkis doesn't have too much competition.

• Visited May 2014

Lagos, Nigeria
“Delicious Indian Cuisine in the heart of Capital”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Have been there thrice and end up enjoying the mean everytime , sometimes the service can be slow but the food is worth the wait..........

• Visited March 2014
Lagos, Nigeria
“Good food WORST POSSIBLE SERVICE”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am an Indian and whenever I am in Abuja I always eat at Wakkis since last 6 years. I always found the quality at par with any best Indian restaurant anywhere if not better.
Yesterday too I had my lunch between 3:20 to 4:30 pm with a Nigerian friend. I placed the order in advance over phone knowing that they take time to prepare and serve.
Though I had been noticing the decline in their service quality but this time it exceeded all norms of decency even.
We took a table upstairs. The waiters were not interested in serving at all. Usual welcome Rolled Crispy papad was missing and not served even after reminders. In past too they never served salt and pepper and serviette unless you ask for it. But this time even after requesting for it never came till the very end of meal. As soon as the first item Lamb Nihari was served with one Nan (between two of us) we ordered another one at that very instant so as to maintain continuity. But the elusive Nan did not appear till the Nihari became cold and by that time we had finished our another main course dish - Mutton Biryani. We asked for Fresh Lime with water with mix taste of little salt and sugar. First it was refused that we serve this with soda only. Later they come with 4 pcs of cut lemon in a dish with two glasses and suggested that we should squeeze it and add water. When I asked them they should prepare it as we asked or leave it. Then after 10 mins they come with two glass quarter filled with lemon juice only - no suagr and no salt added or served separately. For this they charged N 600.
In the mean time when Nan came the waiter brought it along with orders from other tables. He placed all the dishes on a platform and started serving three new customer's first course and kept us waiting for another 5 mins. By the time Nan reached our plate this too had become cold to match Nihari. In between when sought the attention of our waiter he just moved on feigning that he did not notice our request and inspite of his colleague telling him that we need his attention he did not turn back.
I wish to draw the attention of Mr. Titus and request him to look in to this episode. For ref My table no. was 2 and Inv 16566 dt 28-May-2014 4:38:18 pm I was served by ADIZA; Station -1. By the way even after such horrible service I left the necessary tip. u can get me at 08035232335 or reach by mail gsthakur@gmail.com

• Visited May 2014
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Was here for meals every alternate day”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Good food. being a vegetarian(Vegan) i had very less options of restaurants to be at during my few months stay in Abuja in 2011. i was switching between wakkis restaurant and spice restaurant every alternate days. as there were no much options available. very helpful and friendly cook and staff. he could cater for my dietary requirements as requested. the price was also reasonable. Another nice place to have meals at in Abuja.

• Visited June 2013
Italy
“5 days in a row!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My friends and I ate at Wakkis 5 days straight during a recent trip to Abuja. The food was excellent. The food was freshly prepared over an open charcoal pit that was visible to everyone. The chicken was perfectly seasoned and cooked every time. The vegetarian dishes were excellent. The bread(s) were all hot and fresh. Security is present outside and the inside is clean. No one in my group had any complaints of illness from the food, Average price is about $20 per person, but worth every penny.

Definitely the BEST restaurant I had in Abuja.

Visited May 2014