“Not so good”

Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not so good”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I read the review for this hotel - and they all pointed at it being a not so good experience. I should have read and noted and heeded.

The staff are friendly enough - but many many things did not always work out as they should. My room was fine - enough, door did not shut as it should and needed to be banged to lock - andthe same for my friend's room who was next to me. My air conditioner was put on ( I almost always had it off - since the weather was ok 0 but it was switched on during clean up - and it refused to go off and I had to have it switched off by a technician. On the last night there was some perfomance in the atrium - which was fine while one was there, but which did not need when I went to bed.

The restaurants were nice and provided much needed relief since my friends and I did not want to venture out.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Susan W
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned. Tower 3 has been closed as the refurb will commence in this area.

Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. Apologies cannot make up for our failures, I assure you however that we are working hard and changing the full experience. Please do accept my most humble apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next, I will personally take care of you visit and ensure you experience true Nigerian hospitality.

Boris Bornman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Bangkok
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Third trip since 2012, and despite efforts by staff this is just a dire experience. I am writing now during my stay because I can't sleep because of the extremely loud performance currently going on in the atrium, onto which my and half of the functioning rooms in this hotel open. Needless to say the soundproofing is nonexistent, and I am informed this will be going on from 6:30 - 10:30 pm, this and every Wednesday. Just what a weary business traveller needs mid-week. I see effort being put into events like this that would be far better spent on basic maintenance, repair and upkeep of this property. After trying three rooms (one with original 1980's carpet, redolent with smoke, just what fits the bill for a specific 'nonsmoking room' request; one without a functioning lock on the door) I settled for the one with highly dodgy electrics that allow me to choose between having my computer on or my TV, but certainly not both. Being experienced, I spent my first two hours settling in: remaking the bed with my own mattress topper; scrubbing all surfaces, and rearranging furniture to get some access to the functioning electric outlets. This is not what you expect to do, either at these prices or in something under the Sheraton brand.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Boris Bornman

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Honestly, I was a little bit stressed when I saw I was coming here because I had read many bad reviews.
Basically, the room is correct, the people here is very friendly, professional, caring. The food is really good, especially at the Italian restaurant. The pizza is amazing.
I had issues with my first room. The guy at the frontdesk took care of my problem and 10 minutes later I had my new room. There was a small issue here too but I called the service and 5 minutes later, my problem was solved.
Every one here is polite, smiley.
I am still at the hotel and I am more than happy.

Room Tip: Verifiy your door to be sure it closes correctly
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the nice comments, much appriciated. Please do let me know when you are in-house next.
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have been staying in this hotel since 1994. It has always attracted me due to cool and nice ambience and good interior decoration. Whether it is your business trip or excursion with family, it provides you everything you deserve.

Room Tip: Choose a room on 6th floor upwards and towards reception side
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the kind review, much apprciated - please do let me know when you are in-house next.
Mbabane, Swaziland
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I came for a conference here did not stay in any of the rooms but my friends who did said it was OK. I found the conference room nice and well decorated and noticed that every part is well utilised particularly for conferences. The toilets are clean.
I like the art work of Ladi Kwali on the wall at the entrance

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for the kind review - do let me know when you are inhouse next
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Been there and spend a week regarding job. Will try not to stay here again. Run down furniture, dusty floors, dirty carpet and rusty bathroom fittings., lack of overall cleanliness. Almost 1 hour wait at lobby, both for check-in and checkout , thanks to the inefficient reception. Wish thee breakfast coming with the room was more international. The security check at main gate is for name sake. One time our driver shouted back at the security personnel because he was reluctant to get out and open the car boot, and the security gave up.

Avoid the place, unless they do a revamp.

Room Tip: Just Avoid
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PraveenJose

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stayed there on a business trip June 2013
The nightclub has long gone so girls no longer hang about looking for business!
The p,ace needs a bit of tlc but I'm aware management are raising the finance to do this
The staff are great and the pool excellent too
I'd recommend it

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you for the review sir, it truly means so much to us - you are an "Officer and a Gentleman' We are embarking on a major refurbishment project and will turn the 'Old Lady' into a truly magnificent hotel, we have all the other ingredients to make it one of the most special hotels in the world.