“Not very good.”

Sheraton Abuja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 85 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel and like the first, I was very disappointed! For the price this hotel charges for rooms it is very over priced!!

Being a Sheraton I was expecting a fair high standard of hotel. The reception is clean an modern and staff are very helpful and welcoming. But the room are very tired and tatty. Various bits coming off of wall (bedside shelf, Tiles in bathroom, Plug socket fittings!). A damp smell as I entered the room. Room floor needed a sweep.

Didn't eat at any of the food outlets so can't comment on quality of food but a few of my fellow crew did and found it was quite expensive.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned. Tower 3 has been closed as the refurb will commence in this area.

Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. Apologies cannot make up for our failures, I assure you however that we are working hard and changing the full experience. Please do accept my most humble apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next, I will personally take care of you visit and ensure you experience true Nigerian hospitality.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

This was my second stay at the Sheraton and it did nothing to change my original view: this is a hotel resting on its name and not bothering to make any effort. The rooms are shabby with depressing decor. I got in the tub and found my feet had left black pools as a result of walking barefoot on the bedroom floor. I swiped at the floor with the bath mat, which became black. I left a (I admit, sarcastic) note saying 'apologies for the dirty mat - I used it to wipe the floor'. It got results, though - I was left a pair of slippers (and as I was in the room during cleaning, I know the floor wasn't washed).

As noted in other reviews, the performances in the atrium can be very loud and very long - well into bedtime. Most depressing is the food, which is generally not good (particularly room service) and resulted on three occasions in a nasty upset stomach - in one week. I generally avoid breakfast as it costs the equivalent of US$31, which is expensive in any case, but particularly if you only want a coffee, fruit and toast. I'm stuck going here due to company policy and I'm left dreading my next trip.

One good thing is the staff, who are generally friendly and helpful. It's a shame they're let down by the building, facilities, catering and quality assurance of the Sheraton chain.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have always liked the buffet at the Papillon Restaurant at the Abuja Sheraton. Having tried the meals in all the top hotels in Abuja, I had no second thoughts as to where to have lunch on Salah day in Abuja today. Of cause I chose the Sheraton to take a friend visiting from Lagos. I was actually expecting a crowded place being a holiday in Nigeria today to celebrate the Muslim festival but I was surprised the place was almost empty. This was a buffet setting with continental and Nigerian tradition food on the menu. The food was as usual fresh and organic and the afters was a delight. You can have the sweets or the fresh fruits for afters. The downside was that service was still not as good as I had to wait for a few minutes before I was seated. Well be ready with at least $50 per person for food and drinks. One good thing is the restaurant has been consistent for food quality over the years so I do recommend this place for visitors in Abuja.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Godsent007

Thank you for your kind comments on the food quality, much apprciated. We always remains at your service.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

i was shopping for a venue to host my husband's surprise birthday party when i stumbled on one of sheraton's staff named Raliyat Lawal and she introduced to me sherton hotel and their range of products and how they could help me achieve my purpose. At first i was sceptical about the cost , but she encouraged me and equally assisted me in making sure i had a wonderful time. the birthday party came out well, guest were very impressed with the reception and my husband's birthday party turned out very fine. I also enjoyed my stay in one of the rooms and the atmosphare was cozy! Thank you Sheraton Hotel Abuja!
I recommend Sheraton Abuja Hotel for any type of events/ occassion!

Bunmi Wisdom Elewoyori

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

I am so glad we could make this a special occasion for you and your love ones. Please do let me know if we may be of any service now or in the future.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I read the review for this hotel - and they all pointed at it being a not so good experience. I should have read and noted and heeded.

The staff are friendly enough - but many many things did not always work out as they should. My room was fine - enough, door did not shut as it should and needed to be banged to lock - andthe same for my friend's room who was next to me. My air conditioner was put on ( I almost always had it off - since the weather was ok 0 but it was switched on during clean up - and it refused to go off and I had to have it switched off by a technician. On the last night there was some perfomance in the atrium - which was fine while one was there, but which did not need when I went to bed.

The restaurants were nice and provided much needed relief since my friends and I did not want to venture out.

1  Thank Susan W
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Third trip since 2012, and despite efforts by staff this is just a dire experience. I am writing now during my stay because I can't sleep because of the extremely loud performance currently going on in the atrium, onto which my and half of the functioning rooms in this hotel open. Needless to say the soundproofing is nonexistent, and I am informed this will be going on from 6:30 - 10:30 pm, this and every Wednesday. Just what a weary business traveller needs mid-week. I see effort being put into events like this that would be far better spent on basic maintenance, repair and upkeep of this property. After trying three rooms (one with original 1980's carpet, redolent with smoke, just what fits the bill for a specific 'nonsmoking room' request; one without a functioning lock on the door) I settled for the one with highly dodgy electrics that allow me to choose between having my computer on or my TV, but certainly not both. Being experienced, I spent my first two hours settling in: remaking the bed with my own mattress topper; scrubbing all surfaces, and rearranging furniture to get some access to the functioning electric outlets. This is not what you expect to do, either at these prices or in something under the Sheraton brand.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Honestly, I was a little bit stressed when I saw I was coming here because I had read many bad reviews.
Basically, the room is correct, the people here is very friendly, professional, caring. The food is really good, especially at the Italian restaurant. The pizza is amazing.
I had issues with my first room. The guy at the frontdesk took care of my problem and 10 minutes later I had my new room. There was a small issue here too but I called the service and 5 minutes later, my problem was solved.
Every one here is polite, smiley.
I am still at the hotel and I am more than happy.

Room Tip: Verifiy your door to be sure it closes correctly