“Hotel is dated but OK”

Ranked #5 of 82 Hotels in Abuja
Halifax, Canada
“Hotel is dated but OK”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for business in Abuja. The property itself is quite large, with lots of facilities and restaurants (which is good as I couldn't really leave the hotel due to safety concerns).

Most staff are friendly and want to help, but, service is incredibly slow.

The breakfast buffet was quite good, with really good selection (just make sure to give yourself time if you choose to wait for eggs, omelette, etc).

My room was OK. It would have been much better if the mattress on the bed wasn't as hard as the floor. New beds in this hotel could make a world of difference.

The property does have a decent gym facility and tennis courts where you can rent rackets.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LaurenAsh1
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for your candid review, it is much appreciated. We have just replaced all our beds with the world famous Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds. Our renovation program, formally starts in April this year. I have actioned all other items mentioned. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Boris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Ac was poor. Room very tired although my colleague was moved to a room that had been refurbished and looked great. However ac didn't work at all in that room. Calls for service to look at it took ages and there was never any resolution. They dutifully come each day to say it will be fixed but I would rather be told the truth that there is no resolution as the whole system needs a major overhaul, refurbishment in the lobby meant that wet paint had no signs and my colleague leant on a pillar and was covered in paint. It was obviously his fault with no apology from staff. Magically after the event signs appeared but at the time no workmen or signs were visible

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. Some are and a big difference
Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank London59traveller
Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned by you.

Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the items mentioned by you. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I must say I was concerned about staying at this hotel, after reviewing several bad reviews; on checking in I was pleasantly surprised. My room was clean, and freshly painted, the staff were pleasant and the grounds and pool were well maintained. I did find the food pricey, for what you got and was annoyed to be charged more for beer than was noted on the menu "because that was the price in the system", but overall, I enjoyed my stay here. The gym was airy and adequate and the food quality was fine. One thing that struck me as odd was that there was a "master switch" in my room that controlled all electricity. If you turned it off, you could not turn on the TV or a night light; if you left it on, the hall light stayed on permanently. Internet service was also spotty, coming and going, especially at night. Apart from that, I felt comfortable and secure in this hotel and would recommend it to others. .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for you objective review, it is highly appriciated. We are starting our renovation program this year, which will have a major impact on our ability to serve you better. Please do call on me when you are in Abuja next.

Regards,

Tripoli, Libya
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Overall our stay was ok and would stay again - the room was clean and although my bathroom lights gave up halfway through my stay, crucially the a/c never stopped and there was constant replenishment of mineral water. Breakfast and the poolside bar both served good food. Staff were willing to help nearly all the time, although you do get the feeling they're somewhat up against it given the age of the building, and general lack of maintenance.

We found key-cards to be a particular problem - lots of reaching the room and finding them to be broken, trekking downstairs, switching keys and then going back up to find the new one was similarly useless. Also although the iron was quickly delivered to my room, the porter neglected to mention it was only free for an hour, and having passed it to a colleague the next day reception were sensible enough not try and charge us.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014

New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Leaking rooms, untrained staff and very poor overall upkeep greets you at the Sheraton Abuja Hotel. I stayed there 4 nights and had a leaking AC every day. One evening I was greeted in my room with a bucket right at the entrance...their answer to the leaking AC. The lights were off so I went crashing into the bucket. Complaints had no impact. The Manager did not even bother to contact me. At the spa, the one hour massage ended in 40 minutes. The steam was not working and the showers were filthy

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014

Telford,Shropshire, UK
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have just got back from a 2 week stay at this hotel. The hotel at present is going through a complete make over, about time, everywhere is getting a lick of paint and the rooms are getting floor tiles instead of carpets - slow process but getting there.

As a Platinum member I know I get some extra things but overall I did not hear that many complaints from other guests so the hotel must be on the right path in correcting it's poor ratings from the past.

The Obudu Grill staff are great and Margaret Emmanuel from the guest relations was exceptional, was always willing to follow up on any point raised which made my stay even better - thanks Margaret.

I hope that when I visit the hotel again it has finished it's refurbishment and all the rooms are nice, clean and pleasant to stay in.
Thanks.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the pool side, much quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave B
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
BIG thank you for taking the time to write the review. It truly means so much to all of us. It is not often that people take the time to write when they had great experiences.

Please do contact me when you are at Sheraton Abuja next.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Old hotel in desperate need of renovation. Its reception looks good but the rooms smell of pesticides and the room door looks it was broken into several time. Its only papillon restaurant does not smell appetising at all. Therefore I rate as poor too expensive for the value you getting.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned.

I assure we are working very hard and resolving the issues mentioned and over the next 18 months, dramatic changes will happen. My most humble apologies for, once again, failing to meet your expectations.

I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next and I will personally take care of your stay and ensure you have a great time with us.