“Run-down, old, overprices but 2 days you cna survive”

Sheraton Abuja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Abuja
Berlin, Germany
“Run-down, old, overprices but 2 days you cna survive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

It is a shame that Sheraton still runs such run-down hotels and lends there name to such places. A international hotel chain should clearly stand in for a quality standard that clearly they do not do here. When I read reviews here standard ok I am surprised what service standard accept in 2014 for a hotel priced in the indicated range. This is not a youth hostel where you have to accept all kinds of setbacks.

As we are in Nigeria, such a great place and prime start hotel of course commands a price of USD 300-400 per night ;-) In rooms, everything is from the 80s and looks like someone went to the Portobello flea market to buy all the worn 80s furniture and accessoiries people quickly wanted to dipose of for a final few pennies. Telefone, the worn furniture and overused furniture, run-down standard of bathroom, etc. I always waited for JR Ewing knocking on my door asking me to go for a drink at the pool bar. Neither him nor Pamela knocked though...
Rooms are also not well cleaned.

Choice of restaurants is ok and food quality is decent. Otherwise really nothing specially to mention about this hotel. You can survive but if you can stay somewhere else do so.

Needless to say - I was very happy when after 2 nights I could quickly leave this place
My Gold standard at Starwood was also not honored and when trying to use the wine voucher at bar that did not work either. What else should I have expected from this place?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
My most sincere apologies for failing to meet you expectations. A full refurbishment of the property has commence and will address the issues mentioned. Thank you for taking time to give us you objective comments, it is much appreciated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I like staying at this hotel every time I am in Abuja for business. Even though its far from the airport, you're conveniently located within the city center. I think the Sheraton Abuja has great amenities to make your stay very comfortable and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for you kind comments, much appreciated. Please do let me know when you are in Abuja next.
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Honestly before I arrived into Abuja I had many apprehensions reading the various reviews on here. Honestly I was pleasantly surprised and frankly I wonder of others just had a bad day or did I have very good days.

My arrival was handled well since a car was at the airport to pick me up.
The room was clean and while I would not compare it with other Sheraton properties in the west it was perfectly OK.
For the prices you pay, yes the quality expected is hugely higher but then everything in Nigeria seems horrendously expensive so in that sense it was fine.
Being a vegetarian I was again apprehensive but did manged to get decently good food though I missed the Indian tandoor which was closed that evening.
Immediately on arrival the staff greeted and spoke to me very well and everyone I met was very friendly.
I used the travel desk for a car and was happy with the service and Mrs. Bose did a great job.
I had been hearing various horror stories of safety but luckily for me at no time did I feel unsafe or jittery though I did not step out after dark.

Dont expect western standards, realise that Nigeria is expensive and you will have a good experience which you will enjoy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind and candid comments, it truly means the world to us. Please do let me know when you are in Abuja next.
Colchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

A rather tired hotel, much in need of a facelift and certainly not what Sheraton brand image would lead you to expect. For all that it was OKish. Staff were friendly, room was large and A/C worked, though noisy. Was moved on the second day as the bed proved to be hard as a rock. Second 'refurbished' room was better and the bed really good. Breakfast buffet was comprehensive and quality average, though the inside section had a nasty smell rather like cooking offal. Due to be upgraded I was told and it certainly needs it.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a new bed
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your very objective and candid comments. Your feedback is very important to us, in our journey to excellence. Our renovation program has started, which will address the issues mentioned. Once again a BIG thank you for taking the time to comment.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I've recently spent quite a lot of time at the Sheraton Abuja while on business. The staff are wonderful and have really gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable and secure. Variety in the restaurant options is nice, although I will always choose to eat at the Boathouse around the pool (don't tell anyone but you can usually order from the other menus at the pool) :) Rooms are comfortable and spacious for an international hotel. I would recommend a room facing the pool even though it can be a little noisy during events it sure beats the view of the road and traffic noise. the gym is small, but I highly recommend the variety of class options in the evenings (yoga, boot camp style classes, aerobics) and the personal trainers are extremely helpful if you need to switch up your workout. The massage at the gym is also nice and definitely affordable. Not everything works as smoothly or as well as it would in Europe or North America, but when in Nigeria you just need to be a little more lenient and relaxed. I've never had a problem at this Sheraton and definitely recommend this hotel to my coworkers and friends travelling to Abuja.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your very objective and candid comments. Your feedback is very important to us, in our journey to excellence. Once again a BIG thank you for taking the time to comment.
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for business in Abuja. The property itself is quite large, with lots of facilities and restaurants (which is good as I couldn't really leave the hotel due to safety concerns).

Most staff are friendly and want to help, but, service is incredibly slow.

The breakfast buffet was quite good, with really good selection (just make sure to give yourself time if you choose to wait for eggs, omelette, etc).

My room was OK. It would have been much better if the mattress on the bed wasn't as hard as the floor. New beds in this hotel could make a world of difference.

The property does have a decent gym facility and tennis courts where you can rent rackets.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LaurenAsh1
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for your candid review, it is much appreciated. We have just replaced all our beds with the world famous Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds. Our renovation program, formally starts in April this year. I have actioned all other items mentioned. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Boris
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Ac was poor. Room very tired although my colleague was moved to a room that had been refurbished and looked great. However ac didn't work at all in that room. Calls for service to look at it took ages and there was never any resolution. They dutifully come each day to say it will be fixed but I would rather be told the truth that there is no resolution as the whole system needs a major overhaul, refurbishment in the lobby meant that wet paint had no signs and my colleague leant on a pillar and was covered in paint. It was obviously his fault with no apology from staff. Magically after the event signs appeared but at the time no workmen or signs were visible

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. Some are and a big difference
Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank London59traveller
Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned by you.

Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the items mentioned by you. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels