“Like travelling through time the wrong way”

Sheraton Abuja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed 26 March 2014

One of the few international hotels in Abuja and while I understand from fellow guests and local expats it's cleared itself up a lot in the past year or so, there is still a lot left to be desired.

Service is very slow, I checked in around 7am on a Sunday with plenty of staff around and no guests and still spend the best part of 20 minutes getting registered. The room was clean but that was about the only thing going for it: peeling paint, water damage, cracked walls and a distinctly 80s vibe about the decor. Wifi wasn't accessible from the room meaning a trip to the lobby to check emails.

The main restaurant was reasonable with a fair selection of cereals, fruit, continental and cooked foods. The main bar had a limited selection of food but good drinks menu, just that very slow service again.

When you're paying the kind of rates they charge here, another USD50 per night or so doesn't really become a factor. Would recommend using the Sheraton as a back if the Hilton Transcorp is full.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

My most sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations. I do value your objective and candid comments. Rest assure we will continue to approve in our strive for excellence. Please do contact me the next time you are in Abuja.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Abuja Hotel

Reviewed 21 March 2014

The staff at this hotel are some of the most friendly and welcoming people that I have ever met. The guest relations manager, Margaret Emmanuel, is first class. I have an interest in local languages and books on these are difficult to find. She went to the bother of getting me a book and wouldn't take any money for it, I can't think of any other hotel that would do that for you. She has my gratitude.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for the lovely comment, I am very proud of my staff, they do show case the best of Nigeria. Your comments means the world to us and I truly appreciate the time you took to write the review.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I spent some days in Sheraton with my husband and kids and behold we had a wonderful experience from the front desk we were treated like royalties.The prices are very much ok compared to the hilton that charges high and are low in services.One thing I observed in the staffs was their dress code,some are faded,or even too big.I came sheraton for a conference but I was not impressed looking at the dresscode of the catering & convention staff unlike grand towers hotel they are on trousers to enhance movement but in all I will recommend sheraton to everybody especially when you have an event try make use of their extra large conference center.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your positive comments, much appreciated. Will review your comments re: the conference uniforms, thank you so much for taking the time to share your advice with me. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

When I knew that I had been booked to stay at the Sheraton, I expected a much better run place. the food was flat and bland, the room I was checked in to was comfortable but lacked an Iron box,, one of the elevators was old and gave me a fright each time it took off. House keeping came late in the afternoon once and left me stranded. on the plus side - the reception was friendly and people warm. The hotel had working high speed internet.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

My sincere apologies for not meeting all your expectations. Thank you for highlighting the areas where you received good service, it is highly appreciated. Please know that we are in the process of renovating the product, which will resolve the majority of your concerns. Please do contact me on your next stay.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Let's talk about the pros and cons.

Pros:

Location is close to most government buildings.

The Arts and Crafts Village is right opposite the hotel (across the highway) where you can buy all your trinkets and gifts for a reasonable price (get ready to bargain).

Service is top-notch. The staff really strive to make your stay enjoyable.

Breakfast is excellent! It may be pricey at 5000 Naira (approx. USD 33), but it is vast and delicious. I especially love the Nigerian breakfast delicacies like ram stew.

Cons:

The rooms are old and dated. It needs to be thoroughly gutted and redone.

The person staying in the room next to me was smoking in their bathroom and I could smell the cigarette smoke in my bathroom. Not cool!

There was an event on the night I stayed and they played loud music until midnight. You need to be considerate of the hotel guests, not just the people throwing parties in your hotel.

Having listed the pros and cons, I think the Sheraton is still a decent option to stay in Abuja because of the service and location. Don't balk at the prices. This is Abuja, everything is ridiculously expensive. I just wish they would redo the rooms so the smoke and sound doesn't spread across the rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your very objective and candid comments. Your feedback is very important to us, in our journey to excellence. Our renovation program has started, which will address the issues mentioned. Once again a BIG thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

It is a shame that Sheraton still runs such run-down hotels and lends there name to such places. A international hotel chain should clearly stand in for a quality standard that clearly they do not do here. When I read reviews here standard ok I am surprised what service standard accept in 2014 for a hotel priced in the indicated range. This is not a youth hostel where you have to accept all kinds of setbacks.

As we are in Nigeria, such a great place and prime start hotel of course commands a price of USD 300-400 per night ;-) In rooms, everything is from the 80s and looks like someone went to the Portobello flea market to buy all the worn 80s furniture and accessoiries people quickly wanted to dipose of for a final few pennies. Telefone, the worn furniture and overused furniture, run-down standard of bathroom, etc. I always waited for JR Ewing knocking on my door asking me to go for a drink at the pool bar. Neither him nor Pamela knocked though...
Rooms are also not well cleaned.

Choice of restaurants is ok and food quality is decent. Otherwise really nothing specially to mention about this hotel. You can survive but if you can stay somewhere else do so.

Needless to say - I was very happy when after 2 nights I could quickly leave this place
My Gold standard at Starwood was also not honored and when trying to use the wine voucher at bar that did not work either. What else should I have expected from this place?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

My most sincere apologies for failing to meet you expectations. A full refurbishment of the property has commence and will address the issues mentioned. Thank you for taking time to give us you objective comments, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I like staying at this hotel every time I am in Abuja for business. Even though its far from the airport, you're conveniently located within the city center. I think the Sheraton Abuja has great amenities to make your stay very comfortable and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for you kind comments, much appreciated. Please do let me know when you are in Abuja next.