“An acceptable option in Abuja”

Bolingo Hotel and Towers
Ranked #32 of 82 Hotels in Abuja
Nyon, Switzerland
“An acceptable option in Abuja”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I would like to give this hotel a rating of 3.5 if I could, since it is better than average for Abuja from what I have heard about some other places, but I would struggle to call it 'very good'. I stayed here for a 3 day business trip on my first visit to Abuja. The cost is quite reasonable compared to other hotels in Abuja.

On the positive side, the hotel is safe and secure and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was acceptably clean, and was serviced every day, with clean linen and towels. Breakfast was included in the rate and was of a good standard, with a variety of cooked items available. Whilst the restaurant has an extensive international menu, the only items available for dinner whilst I was there were those on the daily specials list. The food was wholesome and tasty, although not of a gourmet standard.

However, a number of items in the room were in a poor state of repair, including a non-functional safe, and bare unused telephone cabling sticking out of a hole in the wall. The through-the-window air conditioning was efficient although noisy, but there is no air conditioning in the corridors.

The television and kettle provided in the room were fitted with two-pin round European plugs, but the wall sockets were of the square British variety. The plugs had been forced into the sockets thus damaging the sockets so that British plugs or adapters had a tendency to fall out. The machine for processing credit cards was still not working, and the automatic teller in the lobby was also out of order. I was not warned about this on check-in but fortunately had brought sufficient cash to pay the bill, as I had read and earlier review warning of this problem.

The only good thing I could say about the internet service in the hotel was that it was free. Only one of the staff in the reception area seemed to know that you need both a password and a code to access the wi-fi service, but after going to the trouble of putting entering all of this information into the computer, it turned out that the service was so slow as to be unusable in either my room or in the public areas.

My overall impression of this hotel is that it is struggling to maintain its standards, and does not have sufficient patronage to support the large amount of infrastructure in the hotel. It is quite a big hotel but had very few guests. If returning to Abuja, I would try to find somewhere with a fully functional internet. Other wise I would not hesitate to stay there again in view of the friendliness of the staff, security and reasonable price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed here for two weeks during a recent business trip to Abuja. Essentially, I agree with the reviewer who said it was like a Holiday Inn (of the older variety). Apparently, this was one of the pre-eminent hotels in Abuja a decade ago, but the death of the owner created a disruption in service and maintenance. What I liked about it was: the friendly service, the excellent gym, onsite salon and excellent deep tissue massage. The rooms were not luxurious but clean and functional. The buffet style food becomes monotonous quickly, however, and the variety of food is limited. It's OK, and feels reasonably safe for solo women travelers. It is reasonably quiet.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is exclusively non-smoking.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 28 March 2012

After reading the recent reviews positive reviews I decided to give it try. Unfortunately my experience was not positive.
My booking was not properly in the system when I arrived. In the only piece of good service I received during my stay I was at least given the key to my standard superior room. I am not sure what was superior about it but the average was there. My first night there was no hot water. Of the three problems I reported this was the only one fixed. The safe remained broken for my 3 day stay and the melted plug in one of the sockets was not removed forcing me to drape my laptop charger across the bed to work.
Bed was adequate and the room was clean but the decor in the room and on the floors was old fashioned and almost industrial with steel service doors between the room doors.
It took me a full day to get both codes you need for the internet. I was given the access code but none of the staff bothered to mention the wireless access key you need before you can use that.
The breakfast buffet was poor with a very limited selection and the staff friendly but unattentive. Massive arm waves needed to get a cup of coffee. I ate out for other meals.
Every piece of equipment I tried in the gym was faulty and the staff completely unhelpful.
The credit card machine did not work for the whole of my three day stay and the reception staff informed me the ATM in the lobby was not working...even as I watched someone draw cash from it!!
Check out was smooth enough but only as I had checked in advance and knew that credit card payment was out.

I was tempted to use the business centre but one look at it and I decided to print in the office then next day.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kiwi_Ronin

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We have just spent 6 days at Bolingo and as a white female from the UK was very pleasantly surprised, i came to Abuja to marry my long time partner who resided with me he is Nigerian, we found the standard of the hotel very good, the room we stayed in was on a par with Holuday Inn in Uk, it needed updating alittle ie-: bedside lampshade cover broken and bathroom tiles could do with changing but apart from that it was fine, we had fresh bedding everyday n fresh towels.
The food was a big let down so only ate one main meal just not to my taste n only a small choice to choose from, breakfast was ok choice of continental or british....apart from no bacon....
The bar on an evening houses a resident band who were lovely and played a nice selection of tunes, the tv's in the bar r mostly tuned to sport ...dont forget the ladies not all of us r footie fans!!
The business centre was a massive let down we needed to print a document which would have taken all of 5 mins but network probs had us sat there for 1 hour n 20 mins plus we were charged for our time as u can imagine we were not happy.
The staff we cannot fault they were polite, respectful always pleasant n had a smile and Good morning etc
Security is excellent we unfortunately were in Abuja when the UN building was bombed so it was even tighter, your car is checked on entering the entrance to the hotel so we had peace of mind.
I would advice not to use the swimming pool it looked dirty and had alot of broken tiles on the steps very dangerous if u slipped.
Overall for a first time to the country n what i had been told about it it wasnt too bad. The stay was ok but it was only a base for us as we were there for a purpose, maybe abit overpriced for a basic room

I would recommend this hotel its abit pricey for a standard room £150 per night but we were on our honeymoon

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Alibah
Abuja
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I spent 2 weeks at the Bolingo Hotel, it is a nice place to be with friendly people and staff.
The rooms are looking good and are clean - unlike what one would expect in Nigeria.
I like the buffet restaurant and the food is good and reasonably priced
Some live entertainment at night provides for some good times.
It is a safe place to be and that is important for me to feel safe.
All in all it is good value for money and the room rate is reasonable for Abuja.

Ron

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank scopias
Pretoria
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I was pleasantly surprised with the Bolingo Hotel in Abuja.

My booking was on record, my room ready when I arrived after a strenuous trip with lost airline bookings and missed connecting flights from Johannesburg via Accra .

I was warned about African hotels and especially those in Nigeria - none of this was applicable to Bolingo. One form to complete and sign and your booked in. The room was clean, bedding of excellent quality and TV brand new (variety of channels).

Seemed that there was some recent upgrading done, as paint looked pretty recent with no chips/scratches. Nothing of what I was warned about in African hotels pealing paint, leaking taps, dangerous electrical connections - in Bolingo all of this was in good safe working order, especially the air-con which is essential in Abuja. The furniture which includes a work desk, essential for me on business trips, are new and modern. The fridge in a neat TV-stand cabinet offered free cold bottled water. Internet is free (daily password voucher to collect) and of reasonable speed and reliability. The hotel has its own generator which kicks in effectively during regular Abuja power failures - there is also a UPS in the room - quite nice for this type of hotel.

There is an ATM conveniently located in the foyer to safely withdraw local cash.

The business centre offers printing and binding services - came in quite handy as I was developing a training manual while I stayed there. The free gym has selection of modern equipment and a good workout was possible.

The rates are very competitive to well known hotels chains. The buffet breakfast and dinners are good basic value for money. The yam, farlain and other local dishes offered interesting variety and a taste of Nigerian customary food. At the coffee bar you can buy an assortment of pastry baked items as alternative cheap lunch or snack.

I will be returning to the Bolingo soon - good value for money and Nigerian hospitality on offer. The staff are all quite friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Jurievn
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I was two weeks in Abuja Nigeria, in the Bolingo Hotel, the attention I was hooked and coordial, the staph is composed of very friendly and always willing to help you with your needs, is a hotel that is changing a lot and an accelerated pace because all who work there are working for the client is comfortable for the price and service is the best place to stay in Abuja, is a safe place, the rooms are very well adapted to the Needy of each traveler in particular and what you can afford. Have all the amenities within the premises of the hotel, from banks to gym, the best time is after 9 at night .. have to lower the bar and listen to a music band that plays impressively well. Highly recommended .. Honestly, if concerted want Africa, it is best to stay in a typical hotel but with good service African Greetings ..

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business