“DO NOT STAY HERE”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Abuja
Bolingo Hotel and Towers
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

This is without a doubt the worst hotel I've EVER stayed in. Service is non-existent, people are rude, it's expensive, breakfast is NASTY, the swimming pool is disgusting, and the rooms are simply not up to the standards of even a 1 star hotel. Save your money and try something else.

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Alexurrutiarod

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have stayed at the Bolingo 2 times, the first 4 years ago and then just recently. The first time I stayed there, the Bolingo was a very nice hotel. This recent stay was a big disappointment.

I checked in on a Tuesday. The receptionist gave me a key and no explanation of the usual services. I had to ask for the info (where the restaurant was, what hours it was open, internet access, etc.) My room included breakfast. Upon getting to my room I found no bath towels, no hot water, no light above the bathroom sink, no complimentary water (as posted at the receptionist desk), and no internet. The shampoo was half empty, indicating that it had been used by a previous guest. They had no soda except Fanta, and the bar only had warm beer.

Wednesday, and Thursday; the only breakfast they offered was boiled ham and a chicken sauce. No toast, eggs, sausage, potato, or fruit, fruit juice. The only dinner offered was a chicken sandwich or a tuna salad sandwich.

Thursday; a group checked in. At that time I finally got tepid warm water in the room.

Friday; there was a buffet for dinner, but it was restricted to the group that checked in.

Saturday; I was able to get to the buffet, but there was no meat or potatoes, only pasta and rice etc. all that for @$25 USD. I received water today and the soap has been replaced.

I should mention at this point I have had to request bath towels “every day”. When they clean they take the old towels but fail to leave clean ones. There has been no internet, and the light above the bathroom sink still has not been replaced. Also the hotel does not provide a washcloth or hand towel.

Sunday;
The group that was here seems to have checked out so I am back to business as usual.
Again, there was very limited food for breakfast. I decided to pass.
For lunch I tried what they called a club sandwich. I found nothing that resembled any club sandwich I have ever seen.
Again, there is no hot water. Their solution is to bring you a bucket of hot water. This may be fine to wash your hands or face but does nothing to help you take a bath or shower. And the water is turned on/off by a valve. The problem is not in the system.
The bulb in the bathroom still has not been replaced.
There have been occasional power outages all week, but today there have been numerous outages.

Monday;
The hot water was turned on tonight. When first turned on, the water came out dark brown with brown particles in it. The particles stopped and the color turned to a light brown and eventually became clear. I am not certain if it ran out of brown or became cleaner.
Essentially the restaurant had no food again.

Tuesday;
There was hot water in the morning, but they turned it off during the day. There was no hot water when I returned from work. After complaining it was turned on 2 hours later When first turned on, the water came out dark brown with brown particles in it. The particles stopped and the color turned to a light brown and eventually became clear. I am not certain if it ran out of brown or became cleaner.

Wednesdayl
I checked out.

Summary;
If all you need is a bed it was ok. If you need ANYTHING more, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to the Sheraton.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank vaman1949
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I just spent the night there 2 days ago and it was a terrible experience. The paint from the front door was fading away and the different blue tones in the room is really of bad taste and darkened the room which has limited amount of light. The bathroom was a nightmare in terms of cleanliness. There was no hot water and the tap was not working properly. The shower was rusty. It seems to me that they have been using the same towels for ages as the white had turned into grey. I arrived at around 8pm and when I experienced problem accessing the internet, I understood that there were not IT support. Being given that it was late and the disastrous situation, I decided to order a simple meal...like chicken and chips. I got like rubber and carbonised chicken and for the first time of my life I came across uneatable chips. I ordered diet coke and the guy told me there were not any. So I said just bring a normal one... infortunately he could not understand what's 'normal coke'. The aircons are from the 1960's I think and they are extremely noisy. All night long you can also hear drops of water falling from the AC of your neighbour on the other floor. The only positive aspects are the cleanliness of the bed sheets and friendly staff (in the Nigerian context). I am an easy going person who travels a lot but this hotel is really too much... and I won't like someone else to go through my experience. So please don't stay there!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This hotel is definitely not worth the price tag. It is unnecessarily dirty; the shower makes a noise like a machine gun and comes out brown or black often. Getting internet is a way more difficult than it needs to be. And the AC units make a very loud grinding noise that will wake you up in the middle of the night. Service is awful! When i called 4 times for help with the internet over 6 hours, (each time being assured that i would be assisted), i was told at midnight that they had "run out of internet" -_-!They have no rooms with two beds in them and the food is over priced even for Abuja.The only redeeming quality is the gym, its not too bad.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The hotel is acceptable, only the air con in the meeting rooms is really bad: with any power interruption it switches off. And since the power cuts occur frequently, it gets rather hot...And the other thing that is really not good is room service - calculate ap 1 hr for the food to arrive. For the rest, it is nothing special but one can live with it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I've used this hotel on two occasions and the latest was on the 1st and 2nd February 2013. The drive way from the main gate is so welcoming - green and refreshing. I never had any issues with the reception as i was promptly checked-in during my visits. But inside the room, is a different matter. The first room i was offered had a faulty air conditioner; In the room I eventually slept, the a/c was so noisy i had to switch it off. For breakfast, you'll have to ask for virtually everything - even the things that are available are not conspicuously displayed.
On the brighter side though, the guy that checked me in was extremely nice. He apologised profusely when we had to move round for suitable room. He asked if i came with a laptop which i answered in the affirmative. Promptly, he made some calls (to IT I suppose) and I was given a password...and internet connectivity was ok. Generally speaking, the hotel need some technical upgrades (the a/cs., TV etc) and staff training.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank joustar
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed Feb 18 - 22, 2013. Bottom line: If better hotels are booked, this could be a minimally acceptable last choice. However, if you have a choice, stay at the Dunes, the Hilton, the Sheraton, the Protea or somewhere else. The other hotels are not great, but this one is pretty bad. It is within walking distance of the US Embassy, however.

The hotel is in poor shape - the common areas, rooms, carpets, bathrooms, furniture and the like are worn, if minimally functional. My room lacked towels when I checked in - and it took only two hours for someone to finally deliver them. Out of four light bulbs in the main room, three were broken or non-functional. A/C cooled room from 30 degrees C to 24 degrees C over 13 hours.

Services are poor:

1. The menu only describes what the hotel wishes they had to offer, not what they have available. Over my stay, half of the menu was repeatedly "out."
2. Room service is beyond slow. I ordered a sandwich from the menu at 7pm last night. At 8pm, I called to check if it was coming. Instead I was informed that they were "out of cheese." I ordered a second item, which also turned out to be out. Finally, after three calls from me to the desk, I got some fried chicken at 9.15pm.
3. Gym is in poor shape. The treadmills bunch up and stutter, which is pretty dangerous if you're jogging along at a few kph. The "incline" settings on four out of six did not work. Even if you are the only person in the gym, local music blasts from the speakers at "11" - and the staff will not turn it down. This can be brutal at 6am. Although towels are on offer, they are not actually available.
4. Laundry is poor. I dropped off clothes at the front desk at 7am yesterday. At 8am, the laundry guy came to my room to ask me to prepay. I did and got a receipt. I asked him what would have happened if I had not been there. He informed me that he'd keep my clothes (dirty) for me until I could pay. When the clothes came back, my white work shirt was stained (which it wasn't before) and not pressed.
5. Breakfast buffet is poor. Four days running, they "ran out" of eggs. The remaining choices were mostly starch (potatoes, macaroni or yams) , with a gizzard sauce. The fruit selection is not fresh and is limited (papaya and pineapple only), and the coffee is wretched. Lighting in the restaurant is so dim that you cannot read a newspaper (none are provided anyway) and the temperature is really hot.
6. Internet is free but horribly slow. I mean really really slow - open outlook and wait three hours to download four text emails.
5. Although the staff means well, they are not good at communicating. Many of the staff are not able to answer questions, and they will walk away without answering (For example, I asked if there were more eggs. The waitress looked at me and walked away. I eventually saw the manager, who told me that they were out). This is a cultural issue, but one that could be addressed with training. Some staff (especially at the front desk) like to argue. I walked past at least two shouting matches with unhappy customers who were conversing with the front desk.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business