“Meh”

Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Abuja
New York, United States
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

This hotel is giant, safe, and luxurious. But it's also inexplicably shabby. There were cigarette burns on my room's desk and wires sticking out of the wall in the bathroom. It's clear that the place has seen better days. Given how ridiculously expensive the hotel is, you'd expect better accommodations.

1 Thank Stuart R
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for creating the time to leave a feedback.

I am disappointed we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us and I apologize for our failures. The observations you made in your room are not excusable and they have since been addressed with our maintenance team.

I acknowledge the fact that our hotel is in need of a facelift and I am pleased to inform you that the hotel is indeed scheduled for a major refurbishment starting in 2014.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Etienne Gailliez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

The owners are charging exorbitant rates for a facility they are unwilling to invest in. The furnishings and facilities are completely neglected and in very poor shape. It is surprising that more competition has note moved into this market in Abuja.

1 Thank Michael F
Thank you for leaving a review about our hotel.

First, I would like to apologize for our failure at meeting your expectations. Our desire is to create a refreshing experience where all our Guests feel cared for, valued and respected.

Whilst we acknowledge that our hotel was built over 26 years ago, we have consistently and diligently implemented scheduled refurbishment and upgrade projects over these past years. I am pleased to inform you that plans are at advanced stages to execute a major refurbishment of the hotel starting next year. The owners of our hotel are certainly committed to investing in and adding value to the hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Nigeria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I am Anandhan from India, a Gold HH member of Hilton.
On 10th of December 2013, I and other 2 friends were booked for the business suite, upon arrival to the hotel at 20:00 Hrs, we have waited for almost 1 hour and 50 minutes just to check-in.
We were told initially that they are cleaning the rooms, later they said that there are no rooms available as booked, and finally we got downgraded rooms after nearly 2 hour.
Whatever the real reason behind, it is totally unacceptable to kept us waiting for such a long time, and personally I am observing the overall efficiency of the management team and the house keeping getting to worst stage in Abuja Hilton.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Anandhan A
Thank you for choosing Transcorp Hilton for your recent stay in Abuja and for leaving a feedback about your experience.

I am disappointed we did not succeed at meeting your expectations during your stay with us. The delay you experienced at the point of check-in is regretted and I apologize for all inconveniences you might have experienced. However, your room would have been kept if you had guaranteed your booking. It is standard international hotel practice to release bookings that are not guaranteed especially when the hotel is fully booked as it was in this instance.

Please be assured of our commitment to giving the best-in-class service to all our Guests all the time.

Once again, thank you for your views and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon when we will have the opportunity to be of service to you and Make it Right!

Rome, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Poor quality and little value for money. It took ages to check in and endless problems with the credit cards. The room was nothing special, the TV set did not work, etc etc. The cost of the brekfast is outrageous.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

2 Thank Dario G
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking the time to leave a feedback.

I am disappointed we did not succeed at meeting your expectations and I apologize for our failures and the inconveniences caused you.

We are conscious of the importance of speedy check-in and check-out and we are constantly reviewing our processes to ensure our Guests do not experience delays. I would also like to assure you of my commitment to ensuring that all our Guests get value for money spent in our hotel. Your comment on the price of our buffet breakfast is noted. Permit me to mention that our Piano Lounge and Pastry Corner offer cheaper alternatives to the buffet breakfast at the Bukka.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

The Hilton is one of the most expensive places to stay in Abuja. The value is in broads range of facilities & the consistent level of service. Not really great but nearly always good.
The importance of which becomes obvious if you've ever stayed in most other hotels in Abuja!

Room Tip: Avoid the smoking floors and ask for a room close to the lifts!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for the review of your experience at Transcorp Hilton Abuja.

I am glad you were pleased with our range of facilities and the consistent level of our service delivery. Please be assured that we will continue to create experiences that add value to our Guests' stay.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

If you are familiar with Africa you know the Hope Diamond would be easier to find that a true five star hotel.

I am basing my review on the "improvements" the hotel has had over the years. My last stay in Abuja was several years ago and I was quite pleased with changes the Hilton has implemented. There is still a LONG way to go...but it is better than before!

I agree with other reviewers check-in/check-out process requires a long wait any time of day. I did notice the staff was much friendlier than years ago. Smiles and welcomes. Not demands and rudeness...great change!

Bukka lunch buffet is ok...the bbq chicken was their best dish. I have nothing but compliments for the staff. SMILES galore and great service.

My disappointment... my linens... I had a room with two beds... One bed had linens that smelled terrible. I am not sure if they had ever been changed! Lucky for me the other bed appeared clean. Overall the room looked clean... I noticed one of my coffee cups was cracked and unusable..... but I just wonder if anyone has ever changed any of the sheets/duvets???

The cable had a variety of channels. A vast improvement from years ago! I do think the hotel should offer free wifi in public areas. It would be helpful to send out a quick email home.

I purchased an item from the handicraft village. I bought a framed piece of art but was not able to get any information about the piece or the artist. It would be helpful if this was made possible... people back home like to know the story behind the pieces.

Over not a bad stay....there was plenty of hot water and I did not experience any power outages...but if you are a frequent traveler in Africa you count that as a good stay!

Room Tip: The hotel has high demand and there are no real privileges or deals with the hotel. You get a room...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for creating the time to give a feedback about your experience.

I am glad you were impressed with the improvements we have made in the hotel over the years, especially the service attitude of our Team Members. I would like to assure you that greater times are ahead as the hotel is schedule for a major refurbishment next year.

The service gap you highlighted is noted and has been addressed with the Housekeeping team in order to improve our service delivery. Please note that Wi-Fi internet connection is available in all public areas and bedrooms of our hotel.

Thank you once again for your views and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Very good, the front officer are very accommodating, but there are some information that needed to be pasted or make know to the customer at the point of checking in. information like cashless payment and the charges.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for leaving a feedback about your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja.

I am glad you found our hotel very good and our Team Members made your stay enjoyable. Your comments about information at the Front Desk are noted and we will review our processes to ensure our Guests are well-informed about new policies.

Thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.