“Not worth a 5 star ranking”

Transcorp Hilton Abuja
Ranked #2 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Riyadh, KSA
“Not worth a 5 star ranking”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

It's definitely one of the better hotels in Abuja, however the facility is very old. As soon as you enter the room you get a feeling of walking into a B&B motel in a remote part of US back in 70s. The GYM is very small and mostly crowded, the breakfast is just ok.

The staff is excellent. Laundry was very efficient and don't forget to try the Chicken Tikka, it's a treat.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is away from the central water fountain
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for creating the time to leave a review.

Although our hotel was built in the 80s and furnished in the style of that period, we have consistently upgraded the facilities in order to add value to our guests experiences. I am pleased to inform that plans are at advanced stages to embark on a major refurbishment of our hotel later this year.

I am, however, glad that you found the service delivery from our Team Members excellent. All of us at Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon.

Etienne Gailliez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Turkish first
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 17 January 2014

As an HHonors members, my views are probably biased but as a a regular visitor to this hotel, I must commend the management for keeping up standards. Yes, it is expensive but compared to other hotels in Abuja, that charge close to or even more than the Transcorp Hotel, the overall quality of service you get is by far higher. I've actually tried other hotels but keep coming back. if budget can afford this hotel, then I shall recommend it. The executive in particular offers more variety of food and beverages than other Hilton Hotels that I have stayed in.

Room Tip: If you are a Gold or Diamond HHonors member, choose the cheaper rooms - you will always get an upgra...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Many thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. We hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The exorbitant price didn't include the wifi access! I had to pay an equaly exorbitant price for wifi access. Per day. And it was available only around the business lodge!

We were interrupted during the conference by the technicians who had to fix the clim. To no avail...

The rest was fine, The room was pleasant, the staff friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for finding the time to give a feedback.

I am disappointed we did not meet your expectations fully during your stay with us and I apologise for any inconveniences caused you.

Please permit me to reiterate that Wi-Fi internet connection is FREE for all our Gold and Diamond HHonors members and is available in all our bedrooms and public areas.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The Hilton in Abuja is a nightmare of a hotel. It's the only place that many Americans who are there for work can stay because of security concerns, and they know they have you over a barrel. The service is grumpy and not very competent, everything is way overpriced, and you don't get free internet with your hefty room price. My first room in the hotel smelled so very musty that I couldn't sleep in it, and I've slept in a LOT of $5 a night hotels... I had to call multiple times and threaten to go elsewhere before they reassigned me a room. On checkout, I paid with a credit card. When I was putting together my expense report after returning home, I noticed on the fourth page of the bill that they had overcharged me by a whopping $600+. When I called the hotel and asked them to reimburse me, I got nowhere and had to go to my credit card company to open a complaint. I will NEVER go back there. The Sheraton, although far less fancy, has nicer staff, better food, free internet, and is far better value for money, as long as you are careful not to let strangers into your room...

Room Tip: Make sure to check out your room before you unpack and make sure it doesn't smell like mold, and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank D'Arcy R
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you for choosing Transcorp Hilton for your recent stay in Abuja and for taking the time to share your experience.

I am disappointed we did not succeed at meeting your expectations during your stay with us. I apologize for our failures and all the inconveniences we might have caused you. Please be assured of my best efforts to address all the issues you have highlighted with a view to improve our overall service delivery.

Further to your comments on internet, permit me to mention that we fully implement the Hilton brand policy of complimentary internet for all our Diamond and Gold HHonors members.

Once again, thank you for your views and I look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Abuja,, Nigeria
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My overall experience at Transcorp Hilton Abuja was Excellent and overwhelming. I enjoyed every second spent within the holiday at the hotel, my wife and children also enjoy the same, thumb up to the management and the entire staff of Transcorp Hilton Abuja, well cultured, branded and grounded. Thanks for usual cooperation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank Omale Ukpotokwu... O
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for creating the time to give a feedback on your experience.

I am glad to hear you and your family had an enjoyable experience during your stay with us. All of us at Transcorp Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we are happy to hear from a satisfied guest.

Once again, thank you for your valuable back. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

The Hilton xmas package was faboulous,I came down to abuja with my family for the xmas and new year celebrations and we were treated like kings and queens by the friendly staffs,tho I noticed that the staffs were kinda few maybe because of the festive season but in all we enjoyed our stay at the Hilton.Thanks for making our xmas and new year worthwhile

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you for choosing Transcorp Hilton Abuja for your recent stay in Abuja and for sharing your experience.

I am glad you had a pleasant stay with us and our Team Members delighted you and your family with their hospitality.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Had dinner with friends to say goodbye to 2013 and welcome this new year.
The food was exquisite, my wildest wishes were answered when I saw the plates passing one by one.... it was just fabulous.
The tables very festive and tastefully decorated and had little intentions for each and everyone... I can't remember when I last had such a nice New Year's experience away from home... My thanks to all the staff and the management.
Congratulations and keep up the excellence in 2014!
Best wishes

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I wanted to thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Abuja and for creating the time to leave a feedback.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and our Team Members made you and your guests feel cared for, valued and respected. I will be sure to let our Team Members know that they made your stay enjoyable with their hospitality.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.