“Hilton Hotel - Not Bad for Nigeria”

Transcorp Hilton Abuja
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel in Abuja for 2 nights and surprisingly it wasn't that bad. Room was clean, bed was comfortable, staff were friendly and service was ok. The restaurant was a bit ropey and staff were lazy but what do you expect in Nigeria? It was self service anyway, so I got by. Ensure to request the security package when booking a car through the hotel from the airport because the traffic is mayhem and whats meant to be a 40 minute drive becomes 1.5hrs unless you have a security vehicle.

Not a bad stay, and much better than the Sheraton!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I wanted to thank you for choosing Transcorp Hilton for your recent stay in Abuja and for taking the time to leave a review.

I am glad you enjoyed the comfort and cleanliness of our bedroom and the friendliness of our Team Members during your stay with us. We will continue to live and work our vision of consistently delivering world class experience to all our Guests.

Thank you for your views and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This place is ok, but massively overpriced for what it is. The rooms haven't been re done since 1976. It's fine but I'd honestly stay somewhere else if my work didn't make me stay here. Nothing terrible, just feels extortionately pricey.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for leaving a review.

We strive to deliver a world class experience to all our Guests always. We, obviously, did not meet your expectations during your stay with us and I apologise for our failures. Whilst our hotel cannot be classified as cheap, I would like to assure you of our best efforts to give all our Guests value for money spent in our hotel.

Our hotel was actually opened in 1987 and we have consistently implemented planned refurbishment projects over the years. I am pleased to inform you that the hotel is scheduled for a major refurbishment later this year as part of our efforts at upgrading the quality standards.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Transcorp Hilton was recommended because of security. The service at all levels was outstanding and the staff was very attentive. I ate at the Oriental restaurant twice and enjoyed the food....the spring rolls were the best around. The only negative comments I have are the price/daily rate (extremely high), internet is not free (should be free based on the price), and the décor (dated/soiled fabricks). The chairs were soiled in almost every area I went. However, I did read reviews before traveling, and saw that this was a consistent comment. I also saw that the manager responded to virtually every comment of this sort and stated that the hotel will be going through some renovations and updating in this year (2014). I don't think you can put a price on the high level of service and the staff's obvious commitment to making guests feel welcomed, so that almost makes up for everything else. I hope to stay here again and be able to update my review to 100% positive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for choosing Transcorp Hilton for your recent stay in Abuja and for taking a moment to share your experience.

I am glad you had an enjoyable experience and our Team Members delighted you with their warm Hilton Hospitality.

Your comments about the current state of our hotel decor are noted. I would like to assure you of our commitment to upgrading the standards and adding value to our Guests experiences with the planned major refurbishment of the hotel.

Thank you once again for your valuable views and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when travel brings you back to Abuja.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Hilton in Abuja is extremely overpriced with bad service and terrible food but is ironically is still the best and safest hotel there. Furthermore, the hotel is large but understaffed in many key areas making service slow. However, all being said and done it is the best hotel in Abuja hands down.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

I am glad you found our hotel to be the best and safest in Abuja but disappointed we did not meet your expectations with our service and food. I would appreciate it greatly if you can throw more light on the service gaps so I can address the issues in specifics terms with my Team. My email address is etienne.gailliez@hilton.com.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Good base in Abuja, away from public roads and with vehicle access security. Quiet, suitable for business trip. Air conditioning can be too effective. Allow plenty of time for checkout and finding taxis. Expensive, especially breakfast but a good spread

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for leaving a feedback on your experience.

I am pleased you liked the serenity and security of our hotel which make it an ideal destination for business. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I've stayed here twice already in 2014, one stay of a month. I have to following observations:
- Standard rooms are fine, plenty of space and well-maintained.
- The internet (Wi-Fi) is good for an African hotel, but expensive. I got it was a Hilton Honours gold member, but if you have to pay it's not cheap.
- Breakfast is not normally included, and it's very expensive.
- Lunch/dinner in even the basic hotel restaurants/bars is probably the most expensive I've ever seen in Africa. A simple club sandwich is about USD 25 by itself. And the prices go up from there.
- The pool areas is nice and well cared for, but the poolside staff are easily confused and overtaxed. They can either get you a drink or bring your bill, but they can't easily work out how to do both.
- The hotel has a very decent 24hr gym with its own fitness staff.

The Hilton was fine for me because I was on a business trip, but it's clear from their pricing regime that they assume all guests are on business expense accounts, and they seek to get as much money out of your pocket as your company can stand. But given how few other good choices there are in Abuja (which is sad in its own right), I'll almost certainly be back.

Room Tip: Make sure your room isn't on the side of the main entrance/passenger drop off. The area is very...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for making Transcorp Hilton your choice hotel for your business trips to Abuja and for taking a moment to share your experience.

I am glad you found the comfort of our spacious rooms, our Wi-Fi internet, our pool area and 24-hour fitness center to your satisfaction. Internet, like you rightly mentioned, is free for all our HHonors Gold and Diamond Guests. I should also mention that we have price points that include breakfast. I have addressed the service gap at the pool with my Team with a view to improving our service delivery.

Please permit to mention that our pricing is mainly a function of the cost of providing service. However, I would like to assure you of our commitment to making sure that our Guests get value for money spent in our hotel.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in transorp for 3 days. The hotel is ok compared to the level of hotel services in Abuja. The lobby looks like an airport. It's always busy and a lot of people are coming and going. The rooms are ok but little bit old. Internet is not free and expensive likewise is the room rate.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for staying at our hotel and for taking a moment to share your experience.

We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service. We agree we can be better; that's why we are constantly seeking newer and better ways to add value to our Guests experiences.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.