“Comfort at Hilton Abuja”

Transcorp Hilton Abuja
Ranked #1 of 85 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed 2 July 2014

the new '10' point brand promise has really caught on for virtually all staff at the Hilton, Abuja. I found them all to be confident, cheerful, courteous and helpful. The rooms though slightly dated from a furnishing and decorative standpoint are comfortable and relatively clean and the bathrooms are very well cared for. Strongly recommended for the avid business traveler. The gate entrance check should be strengthened though as no mechanized detection equipment is used by the vehicle inspectors who largely just 'eye ball' the interior of cars gaining access to the hotel grounds.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking a moment to share your experience.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our Team members delighted you with their Hospitality. I will surely let the Team Members know that they contributed towards making your stay enjoyable.

Your views on the security checks have been noted; we are constantly reviewing our security measures with a view to ensuring the safety and security of our Guests and Team Members.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Etienne Gailliez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This will be my last stay in the Transcorp Hilton, and it will not be visited again by any of my company colleagues either.

Vastly overpriced for an average hotel, with basic rooms, and dated decoration.

Food is far too expensive for what you get, and choice, in the pool bar at least, is very poor. Most street-side cafés anywhere else in the world offer better choice and value. Due to the local security problems (only one car bomb, and 62 people shot while I was there) it's better not to stray from the hotel, so it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

The hotel tries to make itself look as though it is better than it is, with smart uniforms for staff, but overall it appears that good customer service is a foreign concept here.

Coffee shop machine maintenance at 08:30 every morning, and 6200 NGN (£22/$38) for a continental breakfast, is unbelievable. Cooked breakfast costs 10% more than that.

I was only there for a week on this visit, and that was plenty. Twice, after ordering a basic meal at the pool bar, it would appear my order had been forgotten, and when the staff were reminded an hour after ordering, it only took a few minutes for the same basic meal to appear, although one of the meals brought had obviously been under hot lights the whole time.

One other time, the meal I was brought wasn't actually what I'd ordered, but after waiting for 3/4 of an hour, I wasn't in the mood to wait until it was corrected...

On mentioning the problems to the duty supervisor, it seemed that it didn't matter too much, and although there was an apology, that was as far as it went...

TV channels all have a very poor signal, and the intermittent narrow-band internet is also very pricey. (£60 for a week, or even more if you pay for a day at a time...)

'Do Not Disturb' signs on the door handle seem to be ignored by housekeeping, and phones can't be put in DND state either, so you can expect disturbance if you are hoping for some peace and quiet...

I stayed here 3 years ago, for 4 weeks, and it was acceptable then, although pricey, but it has gone quite downhill. Maximum profit, for minimum outlay, seems to be the aim of this hotel.

Checkout is best started on early evening of the day before departure, as it can take an hour to sort out clerical problems, and at 05:00, when trying to get to the airport, it's touch-and-go whether you will be in time for your flight, as your bill has to be 'finalised', even if nothing has been charged to the room since checkout....

I won't be back...

Room Tip: For a good room, select a different hotel, unless you have money to burn, and don't mind low sta...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

I am disappointed we did not succeed at exceeding your expectations during your stay with us and I apologise for our failures and any inconveniences you might have experienced. I would like to assure of my best efforts to address the service gaps you highlighted with a view to improving our service delivery.

Permit me to mention that although our hotel was built over 27 years ago and furnished in the style of that period, we have consistently upgraded the facilities with the execution of planned refurbishment programs over the years. Plans have been finalised to commence a major refurbishment of the hotel soon.

I would also like to reiterate that our prices are competitive in our market and they are primarily a function of the cost of delivering service in our clime. However, we are committed to making sure that our Guests get value for money spent in our hotel.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we do hope you will give us another opportunity of being of service to you when travel brings you back to Abuja.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Provides nice and serene environment to relax for families; particularly on weekends. Has variety of cuisene to choose from. Excellent amenities. Could be quite busy and usettling on week days. It requires huge budget.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to hear you found our hotel suitable for business travelers and weekend getaways. Now that we’ve passed the test, please feel free to bring your family on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Very good stay at Hilton in Abuja. The best hotel for expat in this town. Services very good for Executives (Diamond) members. Safety, location, services overall very good. Some improvements in the TV reception, channel choices, plus state of plugs are needed.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for choosing Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking the time to share your experience.

I'm pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. Our Chief Engineer has taken full ownership of your comments about the in-room TV reception, channels choices and the plugs with a view to improving our Guests experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Best in town, but then the competition is a 1970s Sheraton and Protea (Marriott) with 50 rooms. For $300 plus, I expect exceptional service, but often water bottles are not placed in rooms, as they ought to be. This is popular place for its breadth of services, from the nominally well done food (the evening Shrimp BBQ buffet is one the few events in Abuja worth the price) to the gym (Crowded but with a nominally okay set of exercise equipment) and the pool is pretty good to meet people and have meetings. For the price, its average, but in the capital Abuja, doing the basics well counts for a lot, and I can see that the Hilton tries.

Room Tip: Stay away from pool side. But do ask for a top room for a view of Abuja.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking the time to share your experience.

I am glad you rated out hotel the best in town. I am disappointed though that we did not suceed at exceeding your expecatations overall. Beyond our price, which I would crave your indulgence to say is competitive, we are focussed on creating value for money spent by our Guests. Permit me to also mention that we serve complimentary water in all our Guest rooms.

Once again, thank you for your views and we look forward to welcomimg you back soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

One the most expensive hotels I have ever stayed in in my 25 years of business-related travel, and some of the weakest service systems I have ever experienced. This was my first trip to Abuja and I ended up staying at the most expensive hotel on my company's hotel list. I did not realize how expensive it was and as it turned out, certainly not worth the price. The good news was that it seemed to have good security systems and given the threat of terrorism (including a car bomb in the city during my stay) that was helpful. But in terms of basic hotel services, the Abuja Hilton simply fails. I will not list all the failures here, but the most basic message is that they (hotel managers) should pay more attention to how their systems are designed to respond to basic services and client requests instead spending time trying to schmooze the customers. Extremely disappointing. I will certainly skip this hotel next time in Abuja.

Room Tip: Skip the hotel if you can
1  Thank DCNike

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking a moment to leave a feedback.

Please permit me to reiterate that we do not take delight in being perceived as expensive. On the contrary, our prices are competitive in our market and they are primarily driven by the cost of delivering services in our clime. But I would like to assure you that we are committed to making sure that our Guests get value for money spent in our hotel.

Once again, thank you for your views and we hope you will give us another opportunity of being of service to you when travel brings you back to Abuja.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I would only say that the prices are VERY high, especially for the food. It was all good; but the prices were a bit shocking at first. The standard room was clean and comfortable. The internet did go down for a few hours, but it otherwise worked very well in the room. The fitness center was adequate, but cramped. The hotel's staff was very courteous and friendly. Security seemed adequate.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our hotel and for taking a moment to share your experience.

I’m so glad you were able to experience our warm Hilton hospitality and we look forward to seeing you again soon.