“Oasis in Abuja”

Transcorp Hilton Abuja
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Abuja
“Oasis in Abuja”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have stayed at the Transcorp Hilton in Abuja so frequently that it is difficult to express my feelings once I step into the lobby. Being a Hilton Honors member the loyalty goes both ways - when one considers the special treatments one gets there. At the check in desk you I am treated like a royalty, especially with the fairly recent touches of handing you a hot towel and ice cold bottle of water. And the cheerful expression of the guy behind the counter welcoming me back to " the Hilton family". At my last few stays here I have been upgraded to Royal Room, how appropriate. Of course as a Diamond member, internet and access to executive lounge are free. Breakfast at the executive lounge is not complete without my favorite - muesli, along with the health African choices and the fresh juices.
I had tried the salon and the Gym on other visits. The service is fantastic. The ambiance of the gym is wonderful but the salon needs to be de-clattered.
One of my favorite spot in the hotel in between meetings is the Pastry Corner - where the ladies know my weakness for a warm croissant and single espresso. Come to think of it - isn't that what "family" ought to be.
The Transcorp Hilton is an Oasis in Abuja. Indeed some of the little touches from the staff make one come back again and again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking a moment to leave a review.

I am pleased to hear you always enjoy your stay with us and that the Team Members always treat you like a royalty. All of us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja are passionate about hospitality and I want to assure you of our unwavering commitment to consistent delivery of world class experience to all our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Etienne Gailliez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I'd read the mixed reviews online and heard various accounts from my colleagues.
I believe in Karma, and I must have done something right in this life to deserve the kind of treatment i received at the HIlton in Abuja.
I traveled for 24hrs straight to get to Abuja and was beyond tired, cranky and bloated by the time I landed. It was right after the airport had reopened after a weekend of repairs and the hotel was swamped with tired and irritated guests. So I chose to exercise patience, and was too tired to muster any other kind of energy anyway. I waited patiently to check-in. My room was not ready, even though it was 8pm, so instead i got an upgrade. The lovely ladies at the desk were extremely courteous and I am about to send a personal note to the manager on duty for her care.
My room had a view on the pool and was extremely quiet. The only musical notes that made their way to my floor soothed my nerves and provided an added bonus after dinner. I ate in the Executive Lounge and for that I am EXTREMELY thankful. My skin has never looked so great, even if my jeans are tighter, and I believe it is due to all the natural juices and fresh fruits provided at breakfast and throughout the day. As an African, i was also very proud to see that the selection of African was varied and abundant in a five star hotel.
I spent time at the pool and was able to swim laps without interruption thanks to the divider lanes which allowed leisure swimmers to enjoy its benefits as well as those trying to work out the morning finger licking french toasts. :-)
When i was cold, a complimentary complete tea service and extra blankets were sent to my room.
When i put my dry cleaning in a place no one could find, they expedited the cleaning at night so I could have fresh clothes at 5am.
When I needed a charger, I got one (for a fee which is reimbursed at check out)
When a porter brought extra water to my room, he gave me tips on food and other things around the hotel.
When i felt like a pastry, I promptly embarrassed myself by eating a deliciously flaky croissant at the coffee shop near the magazine stands on the first floor, by making appreciative noises and spreading food crumbs all over my top.
As an amateur photographer, when I wanted to learn about photography in Nigeria, I was able to buy a wonderful magazine at the shops.
And when i wanted to take a gift to a dinner, the restaurant sold me a pretty bottle of alcohol free wine, from the bar, for my hosts.
The Hilton is not cheap. As big as it is, you may not always get the room you'd prefer, or have wait staff attend to you according to your standards. That is based on numbers and the fact humans are moody. However, i believe i can guarantee that, when treated with respect, the hotel staff will do EVERYTHING in their power to assuage your concerns and meet your needs. That is what you pay for and if you've been to Abuja, or any African country really, you know that level of service, is priceless... I will definitely be returning. :-)

Room Tip: Be nice to the staff. Be patient, you are in Nigeria, not NewYork/Frankfurt/Tokyo. Tip your chamber...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking the time to share your experience.

I'm so glad you had a pleasant stay with us and you were able to experience our warm Hilton hospitality. I would surely share your feedback with the team members and let them know they delighted you with their hospitality.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a fun hotel. It's the most expensive Hilton in the world, and whether you get your money's worth is questionable although it's one of the only ones with security to this level in Abuja, but it is what it is, so here's my review... I've stayed here a few times. I love the scenery. It's like living on the set of American Hustle. Depending on your floor you could have pink, harvest gold, teal blue or avocado toilets/sinks/bidets. It's very 1970s and maybe some people think it should be updated but I thought it was great. It didn't smell 1970s or anything, it's just the style, from the rooms to the elevators to the stairs. The lobby also feels to me like a Las Vegas casino - the amount of busy-ness, the feel of it, everything about it.

The pool bar has some decent things on it, and the African restaurant is one of the better ones that I've encountered. There's a really nice (and expensive) Asian buffet restaurant that I tried once. It was really tasty and the food was good, it's just more than I wanted to spend. Same with the breakfast buffet - if it's in your hotel package, it's really good and varied - you can find quite a lot of healthy options - but if it's not then you might not want to pay all that for it. There's a few shops in the arcade, one of them has sundries and another is a bakery type where you can get breakfasty and snacky foods. There's also a bar-and-grill/sports bar type of thing on the first floor that I've never been in, as it seems smoky and like there are lots of women looking to pick up men and I just didn't feel comfortable going in. There's a regular bar off the lobby as well, that was much more normal and mellow.

The pool is awesome. I really like the pool! It's quite large and the temp is nice and there's a lot of chairs for seating. The fitness center likewise is pretty awesome. It's open 24 hours and there's a bunch of treadmills and ellipticals and bikes so I've never had to wait for one. And you can go in at 11 at night and use it, and it's totally fine. It's got water and towels and changing rooms - it's probably the nicest fitness center I have ever seen in a hotel.

My room was quite luxurious. Each time I have gotten a king bed, which is good because they say (not sure about this) that the other option is to have a twin bed, like a child's bed. Which makes no sense to me. And it seems an inconsistent policy because sometimes they charge people extra for the king bed and other times not. For the most part things were clean, once though when I checked in there was a hair on the bidet that was definitely not mine and it stayed there all week long! The shower had great water pressure and temperature, which is super for such a big hotel. The TV had many varied programs.

Internet costs... wow. In such a hotel you'd think the wifi would be free, but it wasn't. When it doesn't work they were good about giving you some time free though. Mostly it worked and worked well, it's just that once in a while it went down.

One thing you should know is that it was the hotel policy not to accept cash due to money laundering regulations. Many companies and individuals won't allow use of credit cards in Nigeria due to fraudsters. There are two work arounds. One is to pay the hotel beforehand via wire or something. The other is to pay in cash, and there's a 3% surcharge they charge for all cash transactions as a deterrent.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
I wanted to thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Abuja and for taking the time to share your experience.

I'm glad you had a pleasant experience during your stay with us. It is particularly gratifying that your enjoyed the comfort and cleanliness of our bedroom, the grandeur of our pool area, our food culinary offerings and our well-equipped fitness center. We are constantly seeking ways and means to add value to our guests' experiences.

The 3% surcharge on cash payments had since been suspended in line with government's regulations.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Abuja Hilton remains my favorite Hilton hotel. I enjoy the first class treatment immensely. Staff attention to customers is unique. The variety of Nigerian dishes served at the lounge and the restaurants makes one feel quite at home. The rooms are spacious and have a homely ambiance that makes one feel at home away from home. The toilet amenities are superlative to say the least. Its the only hotel that provides a selection of face towels. Bath towels are fluffy and clean. I wish all other Hilton hotels are like the one in Abuja because it gives the Hilton brand a new meaning. I always enjoy my stay there and recommend it to all guests going to Abuja.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and be of service to you.

If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our Guests. Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Yours in Hospitality

Brampton
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very good and comfortable place to stay. I was very well treated and catered for by the hotel staff and supervisor. The breakfast and in-room service were particularly excellent. The laundry service was very quick also

1 Thank Ifeanyi A
I just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our hotel and for taking a moment to share your experience!

I'm so glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very good service and friendly staff. Location is prime. Hilton Abuja Offers a wide array of cuisine, off course the African is my favorite and the pool experience is awesome. For me it offer a quiet get away from all the hardwork. My family always also enjoy our stay there whenever we are able to make out the time

1 Thank razako
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking the time to leave a feedback.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Hope to see you return in the near future. Safe travels!

London, Nigeria
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Transcorp Hilton Hotel is much better since it hosted the WEF in Africa in May 2014. The staff are more cheerful and willing to offer assistance in the way they can. It is not your 5 star or 4 star but it is climbing up. The prices are still a bit pricey but it is definitely the best hotel to stay in while in Abuja.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Many thanks for the feedback on your experience during your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja.

I am so glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.