“Another reason to stay here”

Reiz Continental Hotel
Ranked #6 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I'm an expat and I periodically work in Nigeria. I feel secure and safe in Abuja and in Lagos for that matter. But the recent rash of terrorists attacks by Islamic fundamentalist on the UN and Nigerian government buildings forces one to think carefully about living and working arrangements. According to recent warnings by the US Embassy in Abuja, the two main hotels favored by the expatriate community, the Sheraton and the Hilton, may be considered targets for terrorists attacks. This gives me another reason to shun the big hotels in favor of the small boutique hotels in Abuja, of which there are several, the Reiz Continental among them. This is an adquate, clean and secure hotel which primarily serves a Nigerian clientele. The number of expats staying here is increasing; I hope not so many that this place will become a target like the Hilton. The price is right, the location fine. I am still not crazy about the food but I typically eat out at night or have a simple room service meal like the Nigerian pepper soup which I love. I continue to endorse this hotel. I will try some of the other small independent hotels and review them as well.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank timhrose
There are newer reviews for Reiz Continental Hotel

Reviewed 4 July 2011

The hotel was surprisingly good. It was clean, the service was good and food was ok though very monotonous. Compared to the Sheraton towers in Abuja though this hotel was like a dream (read my review of the Abuja Sheraton).

They had complimentary tea,coffee etc which was replaced daily and all the electrical appliances worked. The hot water seemed to run out though. The air conditioning was fine but the bed was......i really cant say except that it was uncomfortable. I did not use the hotel internet as it did not work while I was there and also I did not make use of room service. All in all it was a good experience

The hotel is centrally located but it is a bit difficult to get taxi in the evenings except you use the car hire service which is thrice the price is the regular ones.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Irinajo
Reviewed 3 June 2011

The hotel was very good. The staff were kind and the food was delicious. The hotel provided very good taxis and the hotel was enerally quite clean. the hotel had ai conditio on 24/7 and hot water . I would come there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GabriellaAbuja
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Hotel was centrally located. Easy to find. Front desk staff who checked us in was fantastic, very courteous and responsive. Afterwards, the experience was not so positive. The restaurant menu was limited but the food was really tasty; then...a "foreign substance" was found in a guest's plate! The chef was very apologetic but in my opinion, this is inexcusable. Pay attention to your ingredients!!! That killed my appetite. No more eating-in for me until we checked out.

The bed was terribly hard and the window unit AC was noisy. We had to turn it off in order to hear the sounds from the TV or knocks on the door.

At the front desk shift change, we got introduced to one of the worst bunch of front desk staff. We reported an issue yo them three times without resolution and had to go down to meet them before it was eventually resolved. Worse still, they didnt even apologise. Disgusting customer service.

Overall, I dont know if I would be returning to this hotel anytime soon. The bad points (bad service and dangerous food) are important to me.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nexuszero
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Second time at the hotel. Everything was ok. Internet was solid as a rock and fast, used my own computer but as a matter of precaution I ran my anti-virus daily. The food however is a different story. I got sick from the bad meat pie from the coffee shop. Sure, I lost 10 lbs quickly but not without some pain. The breakfast wasn't very good and I would recommend staying only with simple stuff and stay away from water or juice that is not from a bottle or can. That said, I still think this is one of the best values in Abuja. Just bring your own food and sample the other excellent restaurants Abuja has to offer.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank timhrose
Reviewed 17 July 2010

If you are not prepared to spend a fortune on the Sheraton, this is a good compromise. Strong points: spacious rooms, free Internet connection, deep swimming pool (though after 17:00 it gets crowded), helpful staff, cleanliness, security.
Weak points: they try to charge you for using your computer on their network (they provide one, rather old, desktop PC for connecting to the Internet in every room)... but this can be easily overcome by copying the network setup of the desktop PC.
By the way, there's a wireless hot-spot in the swimming pool, which makes for a great working experience.
As per the restaurant (we used to have dinner and breakfast there) ... well, the cuisine is Nigerian, which is great if your a curious about it, but I must admit I did not like it; anyway, I ate everything, including fresh fruit and raw vegetables, with no adverse effect on my health.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank lmorandini
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Be prepared to pay with cash which is fairly common in Nigeria. Hotel staff friendly and helpful. They come in and out of the room frequently to clean, replenish water, turn down service, etc. If you do not want to be disturbed us the door sign. Room is adequate. The bed was rock hard, but this is a local thing. This hotel had more TV channels then any I've had in other hotels while traveling in Africa. Computer provided in the room. If you use it, be prepared for the consequences. We found a key stroke tracker on the PCs in both of our rooms.

Food at the hotel made us sick for days. This was the only place we ate for the duration of our stay so we are pretty certain this is where we picked it up. None of us ate the same food so it wasn't just a 'bad' ingredient and all members of the party are fairly seasoned travelers.

All and all an okay place, but the whole food-borne illness thing totally turned me off. I also did to feel overly safe. That might have had something to do with the 'ladies' working out by the pool or the one that was banging on my door insisting I was in the wrong room until my key magically opened the door. The Hilton (or is it a Hyatt?) is a few miles away. If traveling again I'd probably opt for that instead.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business