“May have been good in the past, but desolate now!”

Mediterranean Hotel
Mediterranean Hotel
Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Port Harcourt, Nigeria
“May have been good in the past, but desolate now!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Good architecture, very friendly staff, but the place somehow looks like an abandoned facility.

We booked and paid online to spend 2 nights in this well designed and conceived hotel, but on arrival,discovered we were the only guests for the 2 nights we stayed!

In fairness to them they must have spent a fortune to run their huge generators to provide us with electricity as often as the public power went off throughout our stay.

The staff did their very best to assist with whatever they were able to provide, but staff goodwill alone could not substitute the management responsibility to live to their advertised service delivery and room rates.

The room we were originally booked into was without any functional airconditioners and the housekeeper recommended we moved into a more expensive suite next door which we did. Here the a/c s were ok but the beddings were dirty, and on insistence, finally got them changed to less dirty ones. Needless to say the fixtures from the bath tub to the wc, wash hand basin, and everything else were dirty and needed repairs/replacement. Even the towels were faded and thread bare.

We called for room service on the second day of our stay but the kitchen had nobody available to cook any food!
Our consolation was in the fact it was close to the foreign embassies in Abuja where we had business.

Tto crown it all, the balance of the deposit we paid was to be refunded but they had nobody to authorize the refund. We left with their promise to credit our bank with the refund that never got redeemed.

The hotel needs a complete face lift to regain it's well conceived plans and location.

Room Tip: None as no room was worth the price we paid
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mfon U

Couples
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lagos
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Having booked this place on the recommendation of a friend who had not visited for three years. I naively checked in and paid for my two nights stay, despite the slightly dingy looking lobby. On being taken up tp my room, I noticed a mouldy smell and the lack of any attention given to the surroundings. The wall had dirty frames falling off them and finger marks. I was shown to my room. The mouldy smell had intensified, the room small and love less, an old tube tv stood prowdly on the dresser, the paint was peeling from the walls. The sheets looked rough and could have only reached such a state after being rubbed by countless bodies. The beige patterend chair stained dark around the rim from sweat of past guests. at N30,500 a night... I picked up the phone and asked if I could possibly have another room - I had not even dared to llook at the state of the hospital lit bathroom. The receptionist, five minutes later, showed her face and took me to a room down the hall. The room looked just as bad except there were throw pillows and well thumbed magazines on the dresser. I realised that there was really no way I could see myself coming into contact with anything in that room. "Let me show you an executive room" she then offered as compensation for my horror. The executive rooms, located in the next building were best described a laughable. The mouldy smell in this building were accompanied by mouldy pictures on the wall. The Suite that I was shown had the wonderful rank smell of filthy furniture. At this point I could bare no more. I returned to reception and told them that there was no way that I could stay there and if it would at all be possible to have a refund. This request was met by a pleasant by pleading girl who was convionced that she could find a corner in their 'hotel' that would be worth the money they were asking for it... my wearing patience tainted by the horror of the fact that they would try to force me to spend a night there made me realise that they would not return my money if at all they could hold onto it. A badly dressed accountant then presented himself calling himself the manager and calimed that they would have to charge me a deposit in order to refund my money... I could hardly beleive my ears. I had really walked into a pit of filth populated by theives... the situation fast became more and more absurd as I struggled to find reason from the dim witted staff who's closed minds could only offer me the solution of an 'upgrade'... after much deliberating my final hope appeared.. the actual manager, and one look at him made me realise that all ws lost... of course the state of this place had to have come from the top down... I was refunded half my money, loosing a N30,500 charge as payment for the trip through this house of horrors and headed straight for the Hilton, the best advice I can give is that if people suggest boutique hotels in Nigeria... run for the hills!!!

Room Tip: Do not even try to find one
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TLSLagos

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Middlesbrough
Reviewed 6 November 2012

On viewing the website I was very pleased as I had what I thought was an excellent rate for what looked like a superb hotel, oh how wrong I was. It was extremely disappointing and definitely not value for money. Very run down, terrible food with very little choice, water pumps were turned off as the pipes couldn’t tolerate the pressure, staff were generally not helpful, the general manager was totally inept. At one point he even turned the generator off, resulting in no power to the whole complex, so that he could hear his telephone conversation. The internet didn’t work for five days; the business centre was a total let-down. Rooms were very sparsely decorated and furnished and rather small and the bathroom was held together with silicone sealant. Definitely a hotel to avoid.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The hotel is extremely convenient located for me as I could walk to the office - but this is in a very residential area: no food outlets there! food from the restaurant was ok. The complementary breakfast is really disappointing: 2 dry toats and nescafé! Staff from the empty restaurant seem to be disturbed when clients are coming
Overall staff was friendly and management very accomodating.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank MarcLepage
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 19 March 2012

A frequent traveller to Nigeria for work, I have stayed in this hotel twice, in 2010 and April 2011, based on a recommendaton from someone who'd stayed there in 2009.
It's the old story of a hotel going down, down, down.
The restaurant food was dreadful, murky floury "sauces" on unidentifiable meat. The internet didn't work and the business center was worse. To do business, I had to go to the Hilton daily for working internet. The staff seemed nice, but not nice enough to go to the effort to make sure anything actually worked.
It used to have a swim up bar and a deer in the garden. The swim up bar...well it's hard to imagine the last time anyone used it. It seems like some kind of Soviet-style relic. As for the deer, I suspect it may have gone to deer heaven a long time ago.
I'd never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Africa_Tripper
Mumbai
Reviewed 12 December 2009

In an overpriced city like Abuja, the Mediterranean website seemed promising with attractive rates to match. With my client unwilling to pay for the Protea hotels ( best but most pricey) this time, I took it upon myself to scour the web for a decent yet reasonable hotel in Abuja. The rates were great , my client informed me - about $ 60 per night .... a steal in Abuja. We went ahead and booked. I arrived early morning on the BA flight to a friendly Nigerian welcome and relatively efficient check-in. The room was a let down! Matchstick sized with gossamer thin curtains.. that overlooked the main parking lot in room no 105, it was impossible to get a wink of sleep before my meetings. The high pillows ( the equivalent of 3 regular pillows in height) did not help either. maybe it was my exhaustion after the long flight and unearthly hours, but nothing worked ....the shower head holder was broken and I left for work badly battered. It got better though... I asked to be moved and was moved to the room opposite 109 - facing the pool area - same gossamer curtains but here it did not matter. Voila, this room had a kettle and a shower that worked. An added bonus was the wireless which was free and worked to perfection. Much better indeed. Then I ordered dinner - the first of 3 weeks worth of Nigeria's national dish - chicken and Jollof rice. No comments as it was no better or worse here than in any restaurant across Nigeria. I was leaving in 2 days for the north of Nigeria on field visits, but did have a chance to taste lunch before my flight... pepper chicken soup - which was surprisingly good and without any unseemly pieces of meat or organs floating about. What spoilt the meal was that the restaurant charged us double of the prices printed on the menu saying that the menu was old and that prices had changed. My colleague got into quite a tizzy and I left her to settle as I went to check-out - again quite quick and efficient. On my flight to Dutse, I discovered that I had left my pen case with 3 flash drives ( and all my data0 in the hotel room. I was pleasantly surprised on my return to obtain this from the reception ( 1 whole week later) without any hassle. Overall, very pleasant staff. Would I stay there again.... not unless I had to. despite some nice areas ( pool, bars, etc.) this hotel is tucked away in the Asokoro area and far away from everything forcing travellers to eat in. Also the rooms are far too small to work in comfortably ... especially for a long stay. Good value for budget travellers on holiday though.

• Liked — Friendly service, nice people
  • Disliked — Rooms were too small
  • Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SerendipityMumbai
London
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Very friendly and homely atmosphere, good food a splendid environment.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family