“Avoid if you can”

Ranked #45 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Vienna, Austria
“Avoid if you can”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

As one of the few hotels in Abuja that has met the security requirements for the UN to allow staff to stay here, we didn't have many options. That said, and while I appreciate the external security, which was certainly visible, I would imagine that there must be better options that are on the UN "secure" list, and, the next time I have to go to Abuja, I will certainly make every effort to find a suitable alternative and avoid the Chelsea if at all possible! The room was functional, but very tired. For this level hotel range in Africa, it was clean(ish), but certainly not by international standards. It is the kind of place where you don't bother complaining about the cockroaches, because you know they are all over and they won't/can't do anything to deal with them anyway. The carpet/bedding are worn and stained. The WiFi was intermittent with a VERY slow connection when it was working...Skype to Europe worked for audio, albeit with bad delay, but I never did manage to Skype with video to the family during my whole week there. Breakfast had limited and unfamiliar choices - so my colleagues and I ended up with a bread roll each day. After hearing from other guests who said the restuarant was even worse for dinner, we didn't try it. The A/C was annoying - it could either be on or off, and never the right temperature. I also got several mosquito bites in my sleep.
But, now to the worst of all - they required a ridiculously large deposit upon check-in (as in a few hundred Euros/dollars per person). We each gave them this deposit in other currency (as they said they would have to charge the deposit on credit cards, then reimburse the cards if we didn't use the deposit, and we didn't have enough local currency). Before giving our deposits (one colleague in USD and 2 of us in Euros), we asked them several times to confirm that we would get the amount back minus what we may charge to the room over the next days, IN THE CURRENCY THAT WE GAVE THEM. We were assured that this would be the case!!!! The night before we were to check out we stopped at the front desk to remind them that we would be leaving the following morning and wanted our deposits back (none of us charged a single thing to our rooms). They informed us that they didn't have that much money in the hotel for security reasons and would try to get it back by the next day. We told them that it was our money and should not have been deposited elsewhere as we were assured that it was being held for us. A "manager" came and told us that we would get it back in local currency the next day. We argued, explaining the circustances and the promises, but he said that there was nothing he could do as it was their policy. He also said, "you should have given us Nigerian currency...that is all we can give back", etc.
We asked to speak with the hotel manager, who was conveniently out of the office for the next few days, etc. We asked for the owner/a regional boss/company affiliate, ANYONE and finally were given a fax number for a parent, headquarter office (or so we were told). We wrote them a letter and faxed them, to solve this issue and get us our deposits back in the original currency that we gave it in by the next morning.
Suffice it to say that this did NOT happen. Additionally, while not one single one of us charged one single thing to our rooms, a significant percentage of our deposits was "spent" on converting our original currency into Niara. In spite of the money that we were charged for converting the currency, we still received the currency back in Niara. While they offered to charge us to change it back into EUR/USD at a horrendous rate, we opted to do this on our own elsewhere...We were disgusted by the whole incident and learned from several other guests that they had run into similar (if not identical) experiences with the Chelsea Hotel and their dishonest business practices. Incidentally, before leaving town that evening, a colleague and I had a drink at the Sheraton in Abuja (directly accross the street from the craft village), and it looked clean and nice. If I'm ever in Abuja again, I will plan to pursue that option instead....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Kelly D

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Pros: Friendly staff especially over the phone, very nice breakfast spread, very good internet, very good location, nice pool area. The business centre is efficient, did some work there.

Cons: Cant think of much except small parking lot

If you get here always ask for the weekend rate, they may just oblige you.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the pool
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ugwu N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The must absurd hotel I ever stayed. Discourteous staff, horrible service and above hall extortionist. Had a lot of hidden charges with the tendency to extort. Staff rude, untrained and dirty. They can ring your rooms ten times in the night to demand for cash payment after ordering anything. Had the most terrible experience. It is better you stay away from this types of accommodation called hotels.

Room Tip: Airconditioners not working
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Patrick C, Director of Technology and Business at Chelsea Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
We regret to hear this.

We would like to encourage you to revisit us.

Kindly contact Sales2@chelseahotelabuja.Com

Travellers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Italy
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The rating is 4/5, but that is not the same as a 4/5 in Maui, for example. It is a 4/5 for Abuja, Nigeria. If you're going to Abuja in search of a pristine, 5-star resort with excellent service and fun in the sun, you're going to the wrong spot. If your travels take you to Abuja for business and you need a reasonable place to stay, this one is fine.

The staff are friendly and accommodating. The decor of the rooms is tired and old. The A/C in the room is either "on" or "off" with no other adjustments to be made. When on, it cooled my room to approximately 66 degrees (f), which was like an ice box (I liked it). When off, it was not tolerable. For those who complain about not having hot water, make sure you turn the switch near your bed to the "on" position. One is for the A/C, one is for the water heater. My water was scalding hot as I left the heater on the whole time.

The bed was very hard, which I also like, though some people may complain about it. I used my own router on the ethernet cable in the room, and my internet speeds were in the 5-7 mb range.

The gym was average, at best. It was dingy and had antiquated all-in-one machines, a treadmill or two, perhaps a bike or stair machine as well.

The free breakfast in the hotel was decent, but nothing exceptional. There were several western options and quite a bit of local flavor on the hot buffet. I ate dinner in there one night as well with a similar experience - decent but not great, mostly local flavor.

TIP: Carry a room key from a different hotel everywhere you go (Or ask for an extra at the desk when you check in). Insert it in the device in your room that keeps the power on while you're gone. That keeps the A/C running and allows you to come back to a cool room.

If I return to Abuja, I wouldn't mind staying here, but check out the Transcorp Hilton if it is available. It was a little nicer but wasn't available when I was in town.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and had no problems with internet, bugs, hot water or A/C.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Danield528
Abidjan
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I had stayed and reviwed the "Smaller Chelsea" of Wuse II and was hoping that the bigger Chelsea was going to offer something better. Apart from the better rooms, the service is the same. Guys here need to be trained in the hospitality industry. There was a lady at the reception with bruises on her face.. and another one that looked like she was "serving time" at the counter.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will have less noise and also less Internet connectivity. So choose. There are LAN cabl...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The level of external security at this hotel is good and I felt safe during my stay. The room was basic and comfortable. The TV and WiFi were a little unreliable, ok at the best. The front desk staff were helpful even thought they were very busy and the hotel was full. The dining rooms were very full at meal times, the food was basic and not up to international standards, aimed at local guests. The pool was a nice addition. I was in town on business and the company picked up the bill, I wouldn't have been happy if it had have been a private trip. The shared areas were a little tired and in need of an upgrade.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PaulL4
Sunyani, Ghana
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I'm only staying here for two weeks now , and still have to stay here till end of April for business .
Breakfast they only cater for Nigerians because very little for me to eat , maybe 3 dishes for foreigners and 15 to 20 dishes for locals . the freezer in the room switches off as soon as you take your door card out of the slot , when returning in the evenings everything is hot ( water , cold drinks ) the shower curtain hangs in the middle of the bath no space to shower . Aircon can not be set , its pre set and stayed there , the plug for wash basin does not work as well as the bath plug .Because of me staying here for a month and or longer I asked if one of the Super sport cannels could be tuned on Super sport one only on Saturday's as the Super 15 Rugby Championship is on now between South Africa , Australia and All blacks . their is 3 Super sport channels available - all 3 is always on soccer - Their excuse is that the majority is watching soccer ! 3 different soccer games on 3 channels and they cant put one channel on Rugby for 2 to 3 hours ones a week ! And when I went down to the bar most of the people watching the soccer were the personnel of the Hotel . Ghana , Kenya , Zambia I never had this problem , but for Nigeria for 18 months working all over in Nigeria always have a problem with this "issue" of changing TV channels , always some excuse ! I pay exactly and or more than locals to stay at this Hotels ! So why do I get less for my money ?

Room Tip: I'm staying on the 5th floor and no noise . water pressure good .
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business