“FAWLTY TOWERS.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kigali
Stipp Hotel Kacyiru
Ranked #42 of 49 Hotels in Kigali
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed only one night prior to an early morning departure and did not eat any food here so we can't comment on that, however, we did require a couple of drinks before retiring for the night. I did not think it possible to interpret " one Jack Daniels and a beer " so many different ways. Between ordering this at the pool and the same order at our room, 9 attempts were made, with all manner of things being bought to us, reminiscent of 'Manuel' at his finest! English obviously is not the 2nd. 3rd. or 4th. language required by the staff here. The front desk do fare better, which was probably necessary in order to perpetuate their shuttle scam on us. As we were leaving at 4am. I settled the room bill before turning in . At this time I also booked and paid ( US $30 ) for a taxi to the Airport. In the morning, the taxi was there waiting as promised and all seemed well until the staff suddenly sent him away and told us we would be put on the Hotel shuttle bus. Apparently the taxi driver expected to be paid by us at trips end and when the morning desk staff were informed that it had been pre-paid, their English fell away quite quickly. After more than half an hours' delay and increasing panic and frustration on our part they finally dug up a vehicle complete with unlicensed under-aged driver and got us to the Airport ( barely ) and no doubt celebrated with their thirty dollar profit and their bad review! Cheers.

Room Tip: Rooms elsewhere are good.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wellmax229

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I had seen this rated as a 2* hotel but I have seen worse 3* hotels in the world.

Having just come from Uganda, we found staff not particularly friendly - but they weren't rude, just lacking the warmth we had become accustomed to. Compared with the friendly smiling Ugandans who would chat away, staff here barely nodded an acknowledgement when you said hello.

Our room was well equipped with tv, ample lighting, comfy bed, a very good hot shower and bath (lovely after a fortnight of jungle type accommodation) and a good selection of toiletries. Ok, the bathroom is starting to look a bit "tired" and it is not a flat screen tv but it was perfectly clean and I don't need the most up to date tv. Wifi is also available.

Food was a bit disappointing with quantity over quality but we loved a chocolate mousse which was on the set menu. Not light or fluffy, more like solid good quality dark chocolate which was refrigerated but we enjoyed it.

The only real negative were the very noisy creaking doors - I'm sure a bit of oil would make a difference... The pool had lots of tables but only 2 sunloungers which seemed a bit odd. The decor is also very odd - the neon lights at night around the hotel and in the pool are a bit weird in my opinion. Similarly, the swan figures on a rock pool by the swimming pool just seem odd - way too eclectic a mix of things going on.

Incidentally they don't have a tip box system so if you are staying, best to tip porters, waitresses individually if you wish to.

Overall, an acceptable place to stay for a night or even 2 which won't break the bank.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ponaire
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The hotel is more of a resort with beautiful flowering trees everywhere.
The food in the restaurant is very good if somewhat pricey and the staff were friendly and helpful. My only complaints would be that the electronic keys for the rooms constantly need to be reprogrammed which can become extremely frustrating if you are in and out of your room all day and laundry service is ridiculously expensive. There is wifi, but the signal is spotty and weak in certain locations.
Because of the hills and altitude, walking can get tiring fast. There are only really two restaurants within walking distance; Chez John and Saffron. Therefore you must take a taxi anywhere, which are quite expensive considering that this is a developing country. It's better to take a moto taxi, but it can be difficult to explain locations since most address are just given neighborhood and not actual street address.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed here 1 night courtesy of Kenya airways who had canceled my flight to Nairobi. Hotel room well fitted but no attention had been paid to mosquitos - was buzzed and bitten by one.
Manager was very welcoming but receptionist was insistent that I was noit staying there, the communication issue was quickly resolved however.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed one night in the hotel while waiting for the trip to Ruhengeri. The hotel is quite calm and we could sleep very well there. The staff are friendly but as it was a short stay, we did not need so much attention from them. The food was quite bad and so was the breakfast, partly maybe due to late wake up so we were among the last to eat. We did not get WIFI to work of some reason despite it should be free of charge.
Good basic hotel and value for money.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed one night at this hotel as my Kenya airways flight was cancelled and the airline put me up in this hotel. The hotel as such has two wings, one of which is across the road and where I had my room. They take you in a golf cart, and you need to call for the cart every time you needed to go to the main building which houses the restaurant and pool. The golf cart wait was exceptionally long at times. The room as such was very basic and mine had no hot water. The restaurant overlooked the pool, which was nice. The food is average, but the rates are reasonable. This could be a good hotel if one is on vacation, but I wouldnt recommend it for business travellers.

Room Tip: Room which dont start with 1 are located in the main building, so are easliy accessible.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Tommasoinn
Reviewed 29 August 2011

There is a saying 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth' but nevertheless, here we go.
Having been on an invitational weekend trip I and the entire group of media people, travel agents and airline staff from abroad were booked at Hotel Stipp by our hosts.
I personally appreciated breakfast being served as of 5 a.m., being a habitual early bird and was pleased to find that wireless internet connectivity extends from rooms to public areas, with compliments of the hotel.
Breakfast, as are all other meals served - I had lunch one day and supper one evening during my two night stay - are nothing fancy but square meals nevertheless with a variety of choices from the buffet. Presentation aside, it was good value.
Now to the rooms. I was privileged to have been put up in a suite, well semi suite, which on first look had all one needed. On closer inspection it turned out that the in room mini safe was not working and one half of the wardrobe did not open. I opted to use the 'open' half to hang up suits and shirts and locked valuable into my suitcase, combination and padlocked.
A desk made working easy, and the internet was FAST, as I have often observed in Rwanda. A kettle was placed in the bathroom to make tea, I found two tea bags and a cup but no milk powder nor sugar, not that I take any, but other guests might really mind having to drink their tea without sugar or sweetener OR milk. Maybe an issue for housekeeping to resolve?
The bed was king sized, good mattress and good pillows, often a cause for complaints elsewhere but not at Hotel Stipp. The room steward had left some cellophane paper next to the luggage rack, so housekeeping needs to sharpen up a bit.
The bathroom, well equipped, offered both tub and shower cabin, and toiletries are placed on a dish, which was badly chipped. The percolator on the hand wash basin had gone awol, causing water to splash uncontrolled, again an issue housekeeping and maintenance should be able to sort out. On the positive side, good water pressure and HOT water.
The hotel has a small gym, seen but not used, and a pool, also seen but not used due to time constraints, and a little garden and pool bar for guests to enjoy a sunny afternoon.
Quiet location, a decent three star property by local standards and within easy reach of the commercial centre of Kigali and some of the other hotels and conference facilities. Transfer time to / from the international airport about half an hour, less depending on traffic.
Positive was the friendly attitude and disposition of the staff, especially the reception but also the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business