“Good food and service, but the problem is..”
Review of Shokola

Shokola
Ranked #26 of 144 Restaurants in Kigali
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: More than just a coffee shop
Kigali, Rwanda
“Good food and service, but the problem is..”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

New Shokola in Kimihurura was fantastic! Interior design and food was quite nice. But the real problem of this interior is that, bugs and wind. It's half opened toward the garden, so that everytime staffs using pesticide to kill the bugs. It smells disgusting when I take the food.

• Visited February 2014
MzNappy, Owner at Shokola, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear PeterShin21,

Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your time at Shokola and hope you visit us again soon. Sorry about to hear about the wind and bugs, like you pointed out that's because of the interior.

All the best,

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best service in kigali, plus much more”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I live and work throughout east Africa and often seek out cafés that have WiFi. This is much more than just that. Shokola and Shokola Lite have fantastic food: smoothies, espresso drinks, light lunches and soup, etc, that are all fantastic. However, what keeps me coming back time and time again is the thoughtful, cheerful and efficient service. Shokola Lite also has a particularly comfortable area of overstuffed pillows and cushions that make for a nice spot to unwind. There is also a nice small library of mostly English books, fiction and non, that can provide a nice break from the rigors of work or travel. 5 stars, all the way around.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank 308Matt
ShokolaCafe, Owner at Shokola, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear 308Matt,

Thanks for your review, it's always a pleasure to have you around. Hope you visit again soon.

Best,
Addis Ababa
“Shokola lite, not customer-oriented...”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Shokola lite in Kimihurura, became my lunch and dinner hangout during the week I recently spent in Kigali. It was recommended by a French friend who stays there, for good, light meals and shisha. My 1st couple of trips there went perfectly well. Nice food, available waiters.... until I tried to pay in USD during my last visit. I was told I could pay in Dollars and would be refunded in Dollars, even though I had a 100 Dollar bill. Had my lunch and my shisha, bill came up to about 30 USD, paid with my USD and was brought back a bundle of Rwandan francs by the same waiter who told me he would give me my change in Dollars. After several back and forths of said waiter to the cashier and "manager" (a stern young woman who does not great guests and just sits at a table while surfing on her laptop, sometimes lifting her head to give patrons a stern look), I was told "Manager says we are not forced to pay you back in Dollars and you can go change money at forex bureau (I had explained I was traveling home that very evening and it was not convenient for me to start looking for a forex bureau when I still had to pack and rush to the airport)". Anyway, i decided that out of principle I was not going to let them pay me back in local currency when they had agreed they would not , whipped out my credit card, got my dollars back, paid and left with no intention to ever go back again if I ever travelled back to Kigali. Also, the tilapia is tasteless... This is a good place for smoothies, juices, sandwiches and generally finger foods, the rest is pretty disappointing though the menu is mouth-watering, what you get on your plate does not necessarily meet expectations.
I would also recommend that the manager consider finding an occupation more suitable to her lack of interest in people and the comfort of customers. The service industry is not for everyone, and it is clearly not for her...

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Afroqueen50
ShokolaCafe, Owner at Shokola, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Afroqueen50,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your experience at Shokola. As you have travelled often across the world you should be aware that most of the time businesses will allow you to pay in a foreign currency (mostly USD) like we did but you know it is not always guaranteed that you will receive your change in a foreign currency unless it is available. I would have been happy to give you dollars but we did not have any at that point. Had we had some, i would have been happy to give them to you. I remember your visits to Shokola and i am shocked that you would draw such a conclusion on me based on two visits but we are here to make sure our customers have a great Shokola experience and have good customer service which i am glad you had and mentioned. I am sorry that you found some meals disappointing, we have very authentic and freshly made food on our menu and we hope next time you visit you will enjoy it.

All the very best,
Nairobi, Kenya
“Awesome Meals”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Loved the experience, good coffee anytime of the day, great meals: breakfast, lunch or dinner! WIFI was also available.

• Visited April 2014
“Great coffee”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Shokola is a nice stop for a quiet cup of tea, coffee, lunch.It is also a great place for a meeting if you are in need of quiet conversation.

Visited April 2014