“Great hotel! Deserves it's high ranking on TA”
Review of Step Town Motel

Step Town Motel
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Kigali
“Great hotel! Deserves it's high ranking on TA”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed here 3 different times during 2 weeks, because it was that good. The rooms are CLEAN. The manager and everyone else who works there are friendly! We stored a bag there for a few nights while we were out of town without any problems. And I actually really liked the food there - try the bananas with vegetables and peas. It's not fancy, but it's simple and satisfying. And was different each of the 4 times we ordered it.

It's a fairly short walk into the city center (make a left when you leave the hotel to walk up the steep hill, which will take about 15 minutes to get the UTC, or if you make a right, you can take a longer more circuitous route). We even walked to Heaven and New Cactus (though New Cactus is a bit far).

Only slightly negative is that the internet was often slow or spotty, but that seemed to be life in Rwanda - I couldn't find anywhere with consistent and (relatively) fast internet except Shokola Lite.

To sum up: definitely recommended. Great value!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatC123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
NE Iowa, USA
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Rooms are very nice. Service is quite good; manager is extremely friendly. Food is good - a bit pricey, but good. Minor . . . but you couldn't have both coffee and juice for breakfast (included with your room), without paying extra. I enjoyed the location - it was a bit hard to find, but once there, I enjoyed the view of the city. Very feasible to walk into the city. Rooms with a view are especially nice - great veranda area.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a view!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
DRC
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I had one night to spend in kigali before moving on to DR Congo, as is the reputation of Kigali being an expensive place a co passenger in the aircraft suggested me about this motel. Once I was there I was received very warmly by John who was manning the office. The room was absolutely clean and the staff was very cordial. I would say overall this was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Take the room close to the office as it would have best WI FI signal.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Kedar_AP
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Step Town has one of the highest rating for a hotel in Kigali, Rwanda. On the outside it looks fabulous. The location is at the top of a hill, hidden in a residential area. The good: The bed was very comfortable; the outdoor eating areas are very pleasant; the rooms are easy to darken. The bad: The biggest negative is noise. The walls are paper thin. Voices enter the room all times of the night. The bathroom is large but the water is hard to contain in the shower/tub area. See attached pictures. You must decide for yourself if the ranking is appropriate. If $ is tight, this is a good choice. It seems to be in a safe area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor. Avoid being near the front office area...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Modest room. Staff are mostly polite and helpful as are nearly all Rwandan locals we met. I watched some premier league football on a couple of evenings in the restaurant along with staff and some locals – mostly Man Utd and Arsenal fans which was a shame (mostly for them) but also for a Liverpool fan like myself wanting to watch my team.

Ordered a lasagne one night only to receive a vegetable noodle type dish – miscommunication? I didn’t say anything and it was ok nonetheless. Can only get wifi outside the room and it’s the bare minimum but it is Africa so shouldn’t complain. Breakfast of fruit and toast was just ok.

After a few days away in Musanze we returned to Step Motel… Lunch was burgers and rice, potatoes, Mutzig beer on sunny balcony was very nice. Crepe Suzette later as I was too late to order dinner – it was a bit strange but tasty.

Following night’s dinner after a visit to town we had grilled chicken (exceptional flavour and nice and fleshy) with good rice also. The location of the hotel is down a dirt road – you can walk to town of you know the way but most would opt for a cab I think.

There is constant cleaning/repairs happening and staff noise from an early hour. A sleep-in beyond 8am on our final morning would have been great before a longhaul flight later. They tell us hotel is full so no late checkout but we never saw any new guests arrive that day! WIFI not working at all after checkout?

Hotel reluctantly held our bags and let us hang around the balcony out at the front all day – we did order lunch and dinner during this time so should’ve hardly been an intrusion.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I was there for a week (which is quite unusual, since most guests stay there for a few nights only, hunting for their gorillas) and I found it very quite, friendly and relaxing. The hotel is extremely clean, the rooms are cosy and functional, the bathroom was big and I even had a kind of office with a veranda beside my room, with wifi (the staff would even serve meals there, although the veranda was on the second floor). The restaurant is simple, but also has a veranda and guests can even sit in the small garden with a great view over Kigali and eat their meals there. Food was tasty, a lot of local stuff (but also hamburgers and the usual stuff for foreigners), the only disadvantage was, that you really have to be patient, because it can take an hour between order and being served. They have a guarded parking space there for people who come by car and they are really very nice, friendly and helpful. For 50 USD a night with (a big) breakfast, for me that was the perfect price-service relation. Additionally it is quite central, I could reach the city center (shopping mall, ministries, post office etc. on food, although it goes sharply uphill on a dirty road).
Aaaa, there is no swimming pool and no fitness, but I knew that before from the website (and the price...)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night, our last day in Rwanda, and really liked this hotel. The room was clean and comfortable, with a nice shower, the staff was really good and the view amazing. We greatly enjoyed our dinner and (the next morning) breakfast on the terrace overlooking Kigali.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple