“Casino Kigali”

Top Tower Hotel Kigali
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Kigali
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Trip Advisor won't add the Casino, so I'm putting it here since it's in the hotel (second floor, up a flight of stairs to your right when you enter Top Tower). All I can say about the hotel is that if it's as nice as the lobby, you should sleep in it. As far as the Casino, it's a cool place. I went on a Wednesday, not an ideal day, and had a great time. I know that on Fridays and Saturdays they’re open all night. It was a bit slow, being a Wednesday, but we got 5 free beers. I don’t think they were thrilled with us—we kept asking for “service,” but they brought them. We did keep playing Blackjack so we could get the drinks. My friend has been on Fridays and Saturdays when they’ve just kept bringing them without his even asking. They also have excellent food. In fact, I ate the best cheeseburger I’ve had in Rwanda, and I’d been in country for 10 ½ months. I think just once before the cheese on my burger was melted, so the melted cheese situation alone was great, but the quality of the meat was better than any I’ve had—Bourbon, Simba, Matar. Where they have big flat screen TVs playing sports, ice cold Mutzig and Schol on tap—the second time I’ve had Mutizg on tap, the first time I’ve had Schol—and delicious food, this is definitely a place to go. You can play a few hands of Blackjack and have a good meal.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steve L
There are newer reviews for Top Tower Hotel Kigali

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Very helpful staff, big rooms. But it's so awkward! The floors seem to be made out of plastic, over which a thin carpet was placed as an after thought. The windows in the rooms seem to be coated with some kind of film that makes the whole place feel a bit seedy. There are other cheaper and nicer hotels to stay at in Kigali.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The lounge stands out for its amazing view although pricey menu. Service was slow and menu seemed limited. I think the hotel is in a good location but the marketing vibe is negative in the market for its rooms and poor finishing within.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed at Top Tower for two nights over the weekend of 15-17 March.
The rooms are large but mine had water stains on the ceiling, peeling wallpaper and no latch on the window. The bathroom had a leaking shower hose that was fixed on Saturday evening after three trips to reception, internet did not work in the room and the manager was constantly "unavailable".
On the plus side the staff were friendly and the Sports Bar is a good venue.
However, at $140 for a room I think it is overpriced

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank David P
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I spent two weeks in the Top Tower Hotel. Generally speaking is a good balance between quality of services and cost even though I think it is abit overpriced. Room are very big and furniture is essential. The rooms have at least one side made of glass that is on the one hand nice for the view but on the other hand turn the rooms in microwave owens. Mine had two sides made of glass and since the room service every now and then forgot to make up the room (and subsequently to switch on the air conditioner), I found a kind of liquid fire on my return in the evening. The bed was oriented in the opposite way as it had to be placed. In different words it could have accomodate 3 people that should have been not taller than 1,60 mt. And the was no way to make the staff understand that it was necessary just to turn the bed by 90 degrees to make it usable. So I changed my position in the bed...If the hill will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet will go to the hill.
Restaurant is good, not excellent, but be careful because it takes decades to get your order from the kitchen. Breakfast can be definetely improved particularly for managing things to have the food ready all at once. Laundry is VERY expensive, 4,5 USD for a washing and pressing a shirt is really a lot! The staff members are very kind and make their best to support you at any time. The hotel is far from the city center and you need a taxi to get there, spending 3 to 4 thousand Rwandan Francs. There is a small supermarket opposite to the hotel with essential items, and in front of it you can find a taxi if it is not available at the hotel. There also a restaurant on the top of the supermarket that I would not advice to go if you are alone. Better to walk for 3-4 hundred meters on the left (opposite to the direction to the city center) where you can find a square with a petrol pump, few shops and a decent pizzeria.
In the scenario of Kigaly, however, the Top Tower Hotel remains a good choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mimotto
Reviewed 3 February 2013

In december 2012 me and my wife stayed in this hotel in Kigali for 2 nights during our one week visit to Rwanda. i guess we had no choice since the serena hotel kigali was fully booked during a party conference.
The good things about this hotel
- rooms are extremely huge. no need to take an executive room it is too big like an office block.
normal room is enough
- the location is nice, quite (not busy) with a chinese restaurant and a shop across the street
- the food is excellent despite the environment is not great
- there is noisy casino (if that is what you are looking)
- not expensive
- fantastic view of kigali from the top floor (the hotel is round so any room at the top will give you a good view)

The areas of improvement
- not clean, no maintenance of the building and rooms (curtains falling etc)
- service is absolutely worse i have ever seen. dont order anything from your room, it will never come

there are good hotels in that area

Room Tip: any top room will give you a birds view of hilly kigali
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kwamtoro
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I spent 3 nights at the hotel and was quite comfortable. My room was on the 5th floor with a gorgeous city view. It was spacious with nice WiFi and a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was plentiful and they cooked me terrific eggs and sausage, as well as bread, 4 kinds of juice, coffee, tea and amazingly sweet pineapple. The hotel itself is a bit dated, but the staff was superb at every location. The housekeeping ladies did a nice job, the front desk people were always friendly and wanted to make sure I had everything I needed. Room service menu is limited, but everything I had was very tasty. The location is quite nice, with an amazing view from the top floor bar/lounge. There was no noise from the casino or from the road on the city side. I walked around after dark with no problems and always felt safe. People would stop along the way and welcome me to Rwanda. My only complaint was that the shuttle from the airport left because my flight was delayed by one hour. It was easy enough to get a taxi to the hotel for $11 US dollars.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view on one of the higher floors. Also, if you don't see the food that you want...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo