“pro's and con's . . .”

Boston, Massachusetts
“pro's and con's . . .”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

pro's:
- friendly staff eager to please and help out
- spacious rooms
- food fair to excellent
- housekeeping/cleaning very good
- good air conditioning (when it works - mine was fine recently)
- bed was comfy
- many rooms have views
- top floor bar
con's
- more than well worn - desperately needs a fix up (it's like the hotel that forgot maintenance)
- eager staff can't always fix things
- wifi erratic and a hassle - though consistently OK in lobby area
- very odd layout (perhaps designed as office building?)
- no outside space for dinning or relaxing
- bathrooms oddly small compared to room sizes

Tips:
- make sure the a/c in your room is working before you unpack
- hot water in most baths has a heater that must be switched on (over toilet) otherwise cold shower
- ask for custom eggs or omelette at breakfast - omelettes very good
- Cafe Magda in rear of office building diagonally across street - very good food, fab espresso and decent wifi - nice people!
- if in Kigali more than a few days consider bring/buying usb cell modem and buy local sim - got package including usb modem 5gb data for about $45 usd from MTN - pretty zippy

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BostonJake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Aruba
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Booking into our room was very easy and reception staff were nice, however, after getting our corner room the disappointment starts. It was about 40 degrees in the room and the air con did not work, there is no mini bar as stated (there is a mini fridge) and really it's just a great big massive boring room. The windows are tacked with some sort of ugly plastic and a few windows open but not very much and the curtains are in need of attention. Would have thought for a "luxury" hotel, they'd have a swimming pool...my fault for not checking though. The heat was too much in that room, so we asked to be moved. The second room was even worse. Dirty floors, someone else's floss stuck to my foot (disgusting), equally as hot if not worse, although, air con was better if you sat under it, no pillow cases on the bed so yellow stained pillows on display, enough to make anyone uneasy about a hotel. Rang reception half hour ago but nothing yet. Ordered lunch in the crystal bar and the guy named Innocent was wonderful, although from the menu the only thing we could order was a club sandwich. We have had cold showers just waiting for the casino to open so we can win our US $320 back and leave.
I have been in Tanzania volunteering in an orphanage for 2 months, I am not a bad person. I really just wanted somewhere nice to enjoy with a hint of luxury for 2 nights and at US$160 a night, I thought i would get that here. So disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank AnnaLouiseStapleton
hoteltoptower, General Manager at Top Tower Hotel Kigali, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Mrs. Stapleton,

Thank you very much for providing constructive feedback regarding your stay with us.

We deeply regret the issues you experienced. Albeit the Hotel was fully booked, you should have not been assigned a room that was not ready, as it is among those we are currently re-modeling. We are sorry that you felt the staff didn’t acknowledge and resolve the issue; we will review our internal procedures so this doesn’t happen again in the future.

As stated in the email we sent you on the day you left, we thank you for pointing out various improvement areas in your comments. Comments such as yours help us identify shortfalls in services provided and assist us to plan and correct future mistakes.

Travellers are raving about these Kigali hotels

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The reception area and bar creates a lovely impression that unfortunately, does not carry on through the rest of the hotel. the rooms are very large and spacious and ours had a lovely view, however they are in need of some TLC, water damage on the ceiling and marks on the walls, a panel in the window was also broken.
I did feel the price was slightly too high despite the fact breakfast was included.
staff are friendly enough though service is slow. we had to wait over 30 minutes for our safe to be fixed, making us late for our day.
the hotel is not near the town centre so you will be reliant on taxi's / moto-taxi's.
you have to request the use of the WiFi despite the fact it is included in the price and it isn't the best connection.
overall ,a comfortable room in a quite hotel, just not luxurious.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The hotel featured a casino and bar and restaurant. We spent 2 nights here, one at the start of our Rwandan stay and 1 at the end.

on our 1st stay, Our room was a huge triple. The bathroom is a respectable size with a switch you must turn on for hot water. THere is good hot water however we totally ran out of any water for about 45 mins in the morning. The beds and pillows are comfortable enough. The morning buffet was boiled eggs, liver, carrots, breads, fruit.

On our 2nd stay, right off the bat, I went to use the washroom, only closing the door, not locking it. I got stuck. The door would not open. They sent up a woman with a key to no avail. Then they sent up a technician which by then I decided to make use of this time by showering as I had climbed over 12000 feet that day to the top of mt.bisoke. The technician arrives just as I am finishing showering. He finally gets the door open and ends up just removing the door knob as he can't fix it. On top of that, the rain shower head does not work as the turn knob is missing and so there is just a hand held shower which you have to hold the button to use. There is mold in this shower and the counter has not been cleaned in the bathroom. The 1st stay there had been 1 bottle of water left in the room, the 2nd time there was none. 1st stay we had 3 bath towels, one for each of us, the 2nd time we were only given 2. Also on our 2nd stay the elevator is not working. So needless to say, our 2nd stay was a much different experience than the 1st.

There is wifi available. You do need to ask for a password for each device you want to use.

So in general it's a mixed review, but the place is fine enough for a night or two. Just don't expect luxury, or a lot.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Trip Advisor won't add the Casino, so I'm putting it here since it's in the hotel (second floor, up a flight of stairs to your right when you enter Top Tower). All I can say about the hotel is that if it's as nice as the lobby, you should sleep in it. As far as the Casino, it's a cool place. I went on a Wednesday, not an ideal day, and had a great time. I know that on Fridays and Saturdays they’re open all night. It was a bit slow, being a Wednesday, but we got 5 free beers. I don’t think they were thrilled with us—we kept asking for “service,” but they brought them. We did keep playing Blackjack so we could get the drinks. My friend has been on Fridays and Saturdays when they’ve just kept bringing them without his even asking. They also have excellent food. In fact, I ate the best cheeseburger I’ve had in Rwanda, and I’d been in country for 10 ½ months. I think just once before the cheese on my burger was melted, so the melted cheese situation alone was great, but the quality of the meat was better than any I’ve had—Bourbon, Simba, Matar. Where they have big flat screen TVs playing sports, ice cold Mutzig and Schol on tap—the second time I’ve had Mutizg on tap, the first time I’ve had Schol—and delicious food, this is definitely a place to go. You can play a few hands of Blackjack and have a good meal.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steve L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Very helpful staff, big rooms. But it's so awkward! The floors seem to be made out of plastic, over which a thin carpet was placed as an after thought. The windows in the rooms seem to be coated with some kind of film that makes the whole place feel a bit seedy. There are other cheaper and nicer hotels to stay at in Kigali.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The lounge stands out for its amazing view although pricey menu. Service was slow and menu seemed limited. I think the hotel is in a good location but the marketing vibe is negative in the market for its rooms and poor finishing within.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends