“Great pastry at a price”
Review of Brioche

Brioche
Ranked #2 of 2 Bakeries in Kigali
Cuisines: Cafe, French, Belgian, European
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Toronto, Canada
“Great pastry at a price”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Brioche has some of the best pastries I've ever had, and is a nice treat from time to time. Also, the internet there is rather reliable, so it is a great place to sit, savour a fantastic coffee, and get some work done. The service is always friendly.

• Visited July 2014

Kigali, Rwanda
“Good bakery! Good interior design!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Brioche is revolutionary bakery in Rwanda. It has high quality bakery product and design. Staff needs some training but, it's getting better.

• Visited June 2014
“Great chocolate eclairs ”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Took my son here for a snack and we just loved the choco eclairs which were served very cold and great to eat. Is now a regular place we look forward to going for the eclairs.

Kathmandu
“a gem!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We were visiting from Nairobi where there is not much in the way of a decent sandwich, nor are there places with REALLY good coffee, pastries, etc. While we have LOADS more restaurants than Kigali, we struggle for quality. the coffee was outstanding. we had a sandwich on a baguette that frankly blew our minds (we miss good sandwiches!!!) and some lovely pastries. the chocolate cake could have been a bit moister and the coffee eclair was dry also but we were in heaven nonetheless. Come open in Nairobi!!!!

• Visited January 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic bakery, and staff went above and beyond”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Brioche has been my favorite bakery for quite some time, but I decided to write this review after they went above and beyond to help my wife and I throw a Finnish Christmas party. We had been planning the party for weeks, procuring ingredients wherever we could (sometimes difficult in Rwanda), but the one thing we couldn't buy (or make) are Finnish plumb tarts. These are a typical holiday food--stewed plumbs in a pocket of puff pastry.

My wife suggested that we could make the plumb filling ourselves, give it to Brioche and ask them to make the tarts. I thought it was a long shot (I doubted the business would want to take a risk with ingredients they didn't make) but decided to go in anyway. I was really amazed by how accommodating they were. I met with both the manager and pastry chef. While they said they wouldn't sell any product to me that they weren't proud of, they agreed to make a test batch (which they didn't charge me for). When the test batch came out well, they agreed to make tarts for the party. And strangely enough, they turned out to be some of the best plumb tarts my wife and I have ever had.

Even when not accommodating outlandish requests, I find everything on their menu to be outstanding--certainly the best bakery in Rwanda, and one of the best I've been to period. Several reviewers have pointed out the price, and yes, it's expensive. But I've paid far more for far worse in Kigali. And if they started using lower quality ingredients, and charging much less, I certainly wouldn't go as much. And regarding the service, I agree that the till can sometimes be a hair disorganized. But in my experience they never fail to be friendly. And of course, going out of their way to accommodate my strange request certainly counts as outstanding service to me.

I haven't tried their sandwiches or coffee, so I don't know if that would change my opinion. But their baked goods are fantastic. We will miss Brioche when we leave Kigali.

• Visited December 2013