“Good Hotel - nice pool - near the port”
Review of Hotel Faidherbe

Hotel Faidherbe
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in Dakar
New Delhi, India
“Good Hotel - nice pool - near the port”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The review says average but what I meant is good, too bad that option isn't available. This is a nice little hotel near a bustling local market and the port. The area may seem to be a bit rough in appearance to people who haven't traveled extensively in Africa so first timers might feel a bit intimidated. They have a nice swimming pool and a restaurant that serves African/Continental fare. Although the rooms are a bit small & basic but worth the money for the price I paid.

The restaurant has very limited options for non meat eaters like myself so I had to rely on some outside food, the bar on the other hand is well stocked and has a good selection of drinks.

The staff is extremely helpful, multilingual and went out of the way to help me with arranging phone calls, ordering pizzas from an outside restaurant and directions for my meeting venue.

The hotel has a really nice terrace which is a great place to read a book, enjoy a drink or simple get some views of the harbor.

I would not mind coming back here.

Room Tip: Check the wi-fi signals before checking into a room, I had excellent connectivity in the corridor bu...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank WhereIsPrateekToday

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Chicago,Illinois
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We spent a total of 4 nites here last week. It is located in a central downtown location, Good wifi reception, food in the restaurant, nice pool, very clean rooms. (hotel is old but clean) Staff really went out of their way to be more than helpful to us (2 females traveling alone) and spent a great deal of time with us to ensure that we fully understood what to expect while touring, costs of taxis,money exchange rates, etc. The manager personally helped us with a few computer problems that we had spending more than an hour with us until we had worked out all the kinks.
This is Africa and we were aware of most of the scams and theft opportunities which we did not find different than many other countries we have visited in Africa. We felt very safe and taken care of by the staff!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wombat999
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 22 October 2012

What I can say about this hotel is just this: a bad experience. The hotel is located in a popular area of ​​Dakar where it is dangerous go out not only during the night but also during the day. I was robbed of my mobile during the day in front of the hotel entrance. The hotel for the price that you have to pay is really expensive and the service is really really bad .... especially the professionalism of the staff who work there-people without experience and training
If you look for a good hotel in Dakar choose another hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Dakar hotels

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

Centrally located, every taxi driver does know it. 5 minutes walk to ferry for Goree.
Really very friendly staff, multilingual even German. Breakfast buffet with rolls, good croissants orange, mango and guava jam, cook prepares eggs on order.
Good restaurant, did eat there every day and did enjoy.
Whole hotel and rooms are very clean.
Air condition with remote control in rooms. Good and stabile wifi all over the building. TV with CNN, on request you can get a frigo to your room but as lobby bar and restaurant serve drinks at the pool not really a need for own fridge.
The area is peaceful and full of life. It is safe even in night to walk around. Senegalese people are extremely friendly.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Thomas H
hmbg
Reviewed 17 January 2010

This is a very good hotel with very nice staff except for one barmaid by the name of "Angelique". For this woman the customers are a nuisance and treats them in a very discourteous manner. I was residing in this hotel for nearly three months and I encountered several embarrasing experiences with this barmaid and on the last day of my stay, this person verbally assaulted me for asking restaurant staff to bring in a salad to accompany my drink. Once before she also tried to forge my bar bill and swindle out some money and I brought this to the notice of the management.. I hope that the owners/Managers of this Hotel would read this article and take necessary action against employees such as these in order to prevent this good hotel getting a very bad reputation. KAAP Germany

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank wehichulla
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Overall, The Faidherbe is a decent hotel in Dakar.

The hotel is centrally located and offers very reasonable room rates. It's a 5 to 10 minute walk to get to the port and within walking distance to the markets.

The rooms are basic but relatively clean and air conditioned. There is a pool behind the hotel on the fenced-in hotel grounds. The hotel has a small business center (1 computer) that you can use on request. However, you may have to wait some time as the desk clerks need to set up the Internet for you. As they have other tasks to tend to, it could take a while before they get to you.

The hotel has a decent restaurant on the second floor and a small bar on the first floor. The meals and drinks are inexpensive. We ate dinner there twice and were satisfied.

However, we did encounter a few problems. First, they did not give us the suite we requested as it was occupied. We were told that it would be available the next day but it wasn't. Moreover, there were long waits for the check-in and check-out. Clients must be patient and prepared to wait for the internet, the room, the check-out...

Nonetheless, if I were to return to Dakar, I would stay at the Faidherbe as they offer some of the best rates.

• Liked — the rates
  • Disliked — slow service
  • Stayed March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)