La Madrague Ngor
La Demeure(Dakar)
US$179
US$175
US$210
All reviewsdaily menutwo nightsrooms are cleannice hotelngorgoatssunbedsoceanairporttaxiwifi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Prior to booking my stay at La Madrague, I read all the reviews, in which some of them were pretty scary, and frankly was a bit concerned when I booked the hotel, having booked due to its proximity to a conference I was attending. However, from my initial contact to my departure, the hotel staff, the room itself, the restaurant and the ambiance of the hotel were beyond what I expected. A few of items for travelers not used to Africa, internet is slow on the continent. What folks from Europe, the US/Canada and the Antipodes would consider courteous and friendly is not necessarily the same in Africa. Wherever one travels in Africa, one will find wealth right next to grinding poverty. When a room safe is provided in Africa, it is provided for a reason. I have traveled and/or worked in over 30 countries on the Continent, so my comment is to those who are new to Africa, take everything here with a grain of salt and a bit of patience.

OK, back to my stay at la Madrague, so I was met at the airport by the hotel arranged driver, no fuss no muss, got me to the hotel in a quick and safe manner. My initial reception at the hotel, was very friendly, courteous and professional. The staff made sure my room was fully functioning and ensured that I had the hotel access codes to the internet as well as showed me the hotel grounds. My room, with two single beds, was very clean and comfortable. I had a sea view room with my own balcony to enjoy a bit of quiet time at the end of my workdays in Dakar. At night there is no loud noise from any bars or other establishments nearby, which is a major plus for me!

The restaurant at the hotel is excellent. Breakfast is your typical French type with croissants, bread, cheese, fruit, yogurt, coffee and/or tea and plenty of juice - try the local juices offered beyond orange juice (which is imported). Can't understand the complaints of other travelers who stayed at the hotel, it's a typical continental breakfast, if those travelers need something more substantial, they can special order from the kitchen or stay at another hotel. The Dinner there was a great experience, especially the local seafood. A warning, wine in Africa, except South Africa is expensive, so read your wine menu carefully for the better deals.

The pool area was great, plenty of sun during the day and in the evening a nice quiet place to read or to work. On this note, the Wi-Fi access provided by the hotel worked uniformly throughout the premises - which for me was great, because I could sit out on my room balcony or down by the pool to write my after-action reports and keep in touch with my office. Speaking of the pool, had a chance for an evening dip, it was pleasant, as the pool is well kept and the pool attendants are very helpful with towels and cushions for the chaise lounges.

Having worked for about 20 years throughout Africa, and experienced a number of hotels throughout the Continent, La Madrague was a great value for my money, an excellent and peaceful place to stay - close by the Quartier Almadis scene and bottom line, the Hotel Team were very friendly, courteous and professional. I'd quickly recommend this place to family and friends who plan on visiting Dakar, Senegal.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Patalul
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at La madrague for 2 nights having arrived late in the evening. They arranged a taxi to meet us at the airport and organised the cost (which was very reasonable).we had a nice double room overlooking the beach and it was a real surprise to wake up in the morning to such a lovely view across to the island. There are kites everywhere, both black and yellow-billed which added to the charm. We wandered up the beach to the local fishing village where the people were very friendly. We returned for breakfast (continental but OK). We found the reception staff very helpful. The manageress was a very friendly European lady who had everything under control. They booked us a guide for a tour of the city - initially we thought E70 a lot but actually the guy had a driver and a decent car, took us out all day where-ever we wanted to go (my husband wanted to see the station for instance) and the fee also included the ferry crossing to Goree Island and lunch when we were there together with entry into all the museums etc. The pool was pleasant and the sea near the hotel is clean to swim in (although a bit further up the coast it was murkier). The hotel has a nice restaurant and a pleasant terrace with a lovely view across the little harbour. One of the guests, a German lady on her own, told us she comes to La Madrague every year and loves it because the staff are so friendly. We found it quaint and much nicer than one of the large impersonal chains. Don't be put off by the other reviews, maybe things have changed there over the past year but we would happily return.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are the nicest and the quietest.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2012

travelled with a friend all Senegal for humanitary reasons and arriving there we couldn t share the same room i had to book another hotel for him. all this was told in a very unfriendly way telling us that people here just come for sex. Stay away from this hotel there are better places nearby for much less money

Room Tip: ask for seevieuw
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Beat F
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Since I had a house in Dakar I didn't use La Madrague as a hotel but as a restaurant with a pool on the beach and for that it was perfect. The beach can be very dirty in Dakar so you can use the pool instead. The fish was delicious and the wait less than in typical Dakar. The colors are bright and optimistic, a charming place.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelingCat22
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This hotel is very pretty. It is quiet and clean. Our room had a huge balcony with a lovely view of the ocean and beach. Due to its location, the opposite side also overlooked the ocean. The water is hot, the towels and linens clean. The room was serviced when we went out, and none of our things were disturbed. The desk e exchanged our currency, and breakfast was included. A great restaurant, Katya, was in walking distance. Very short taxi ride to airport, cost us less than $10. The weather was too chilly for the outdoor pool, but coffee and drinks poolside were still fun.

• Stayed: March 2012