“Friendly, relaxed and good value.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dakar
SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 88 Dakar B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendly, relaxed and good value.”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed for 2 nights at this homestay. The owner speaks English which is helpful when you have limited French. It is a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and the food, cooked by the owner is excellent. As a budget homestay experience this is a good one. The owner arranged French lessons for me (which I continued with after my stay) and I took a tour with her around Dakar which was very interesting and well worth doing. All in all a great experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bellabionda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I am staying at SenegalStyle right now and I am looking at the shower floor. It is brand new. The owner asked me impressions of my room and the bathroom as well as the house in general. I think it's beautiful and told her so! Then she read me the previous review of the bathroom and bedroom.

I have taken a couple of tours this week with them so I am surprised by the previous review.

I want to give my opinion of the exact room and what I see. It's definitely not what he saw! 1st, I arrived at night and there was in fact someone to greet me with a sign. I too had to send a msg (not call, she sent me airport instructions that were very detailed about texting when the plane left and if it was going to be on time or not) to let them know I landed. After spending an hour and a half in line for a visa, I understand why. It's not a big deal and there was wifi for me to send a msg at the airport.

She explained later that the reason is so many connecting flights cancel because of snow that unless people send msgs there is no way for them to know if we are arriving or not. Seems reasonable to me! They didn't pick me up but it shouldn't be free - if you pay for other hotels to pick you up it's reasonable that her staff should be paid as well.

In going thru the house and the beautiful garden area I saw everything was clean and in order. The kitchen is small and cluttered with cooking stuff that's true but isn''t that a good thing?! she said she cooks everything herself and has no maids or anyone else to her because she wants everything to be right and having staff may be easier because if the food is not made properly or something is not clean then people would be complaining on Tripadvisor - she's right about that so I have to say I understand.

As I said I am new here and my first impression is great! I did a couple of tours last week when I was staying at a hotel (I am here for a conference). I am a grown woman and not a child and have never lived in a dorm but I do understand what 'budget priced homestay guesthouse' means, that's how it was advertised and that's what I signed up for so I can save money. If I wanted more service or 'better' as he says (higher price) I would have stayed where I was. I saw all the other excellent ratings and reviews and based on how well my tours were organized I decided to stay here and I'm glad I did! This is definitely a very comfortable fully decorated home and not a sterile hotel room. I don't need her to mother hen and pay me a lot of attention and I understand she is busy. She sent emails to that effect listing all the people that would be there and other services/businesses she runs, like a newsletter. So I know she's busy, booked tours for my free time and I don't need her to entertain me while I'm here. Other reviews (that were a little negative) all say the same, that she's not paying them enough personal attention. If you need that, maybe this wouldn't be the place for you. So far however she has been responsive to everything I have asked. Maybe he didn't ask?

I feel certain that Sineta will treat me the same as everyone else who have excellent reviews as well.

Room Tip: The bed is DEFINITELY not queen size - it is so big they had to add an extra piece of a king size ma...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Aesha Z
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 January 2014

SenegalStyle is Sineta George, American living in Senegal with her 20 year old son, Jonathan.

We had two stays, at the beginning and end of our trip in December 2013.

Location: SenegalStyle is not conveniently located close to the Dakar city center, though it is a fairly close taxi ride to the Ngor, Yoff and Almadies neighborhoods. However, there are no restaurants or any places of interest within walking distance.

Airport Pickup: At $30, this is a ripoff, pure and simple. The airport is a US$4 (including luggage), 8 minute taxi ride from SenegalStyle. This should be included in the price of the stay. The only real added value is SenegalStyle's location is so obscure that you need them to deliver you. Coordination was wacky, "call me when you arrive" but you don't have a local phone card when you arrive. Then "send me a Skype" but there is no WiFi in arrivals. Our plane was exactly on time, immigration formalities went smoothly, luggage came on the carousel quickly, yet no one was there to greet us. We borrowed a guy's phone and called Sineta who arrived ten minutes later.

Facility: The "Bed and Breakfast" is Sineta's apartment. She rents out a room with en-suite bathroom used by guests and, if there is more than one party, Jonathan gets thrown out of his room and the second guest shares the family bathroom. There is a nice-sized living room at the front of the apartment, and a nice, small open patio off the kitchen. The place is a bit cluttered, with products that she sells in piles in the entry way. As advertised, there are screens and mosquito nets keeping out bugs, and Sineta often sprays insecticide.

There was dust on the furniture, not a surprise with the sand street right out front. Daily cleaning would be in order, but didn't happen. The bed was queen-sized, with a double-size foam mattress, with a separate piece of foam filling in the gap in size. The pillows were hard cushions repurposed from a couch or chair. The bed was moderately uncomfortable and the pillows were very uncomfortable. Worst of all, the sheets on our second visit clearly had not been changed from the previous guest, who ate chocolate in bed (I hope). I wonder if they were changed after our first visit and the next people got to sleep on our used sheets.

The bathroom was okay, with the exception of the shower. First of all, it was installed incorrectly, it has a fiberglass floor without the styrofoam, mortar or concrete base supporting it, so it sags when you step in it. No fault of SenegalStyle, just a builder's shortcut. However, it also is pretty dirty, with way too much caulk plugging leaks and holes and the associated mold that comes when you use caulk in place of proper installation and repair materials. We had to bring our own towels, which Sineta did tell us ahead of time, but which were inconvenient to haul in our luggage.

The electricity went out every day we were there. This was an inconvenience, but not a disaster, and we remarked about this, but did not complain. However, Sineta got quite defensive about, saying it was not usual and "better than those rolling blackouts in California" (for those who don't remember, some years ago, the power companies in California had rate problems so they scheduled temporary blackouts until they got their rate increase). She got defensive about quite a few things, responding to imaginary statements we had never heard anyone say in our extensive preparation for this trip, like "everyone says girls in Senegal don't go to school", or "everyone says African men neglect their families". See some of the diatribes in response to negative reviews.

Food: Sineta is a pretty good cook, the breakfast was flavorful and different every morning, in contrast to the standard baguette and coffee continental breakfast we got everywhere else. Dinner was okay, generally rice with a flavorful sauce and some meat or fish. However, she is not a professional; despite our gentle protests, she consistently made the amateur judgement that I, the husband, should have a larger serving than my wife. Instead of respecting our wishes that we be served equal portions, she continued doing this, justifying it by pointing out that I am larger. A distinct lack of the customer service mentality that you need in the hospitality business.

Summary: Sineta is a hustler, and I mean that in the best sense of the word: she is successfully making a living abroad as her own boss, answering to no one, which it to be admired. She runs the tours, managing a strong team of drivers and guides. She sells African products on eBay and Etsy. She markets her products and services. She spent hours on the computer when we were there. But I think she is doing too much by herself, and the quality of the home stay suffers. An assistant to clean every day and cook would go a long way to improving the guest experience, as would some attention to details and emphasis on pleasing the guest.

To see how I went wrong following the usually reliable TripAdvisor ratings, I have again looked over the reviews and get the impression that there are a lot of student-types giving great reviews, leading me to think they are comparing to dorm living. Also many cases where this was their only TripAdvisor review or one of a very few, further enforcing my impression of inexperience. I advise adult, experienced travelers to not make the same mistake I did in booking a stay at SenegalStyle.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank bishikawa
Sineta G, Owner at SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Hello and GREETINGS from Sunny Senegal!

I am not going to even attempt to respond to all the complaints this man has. He was a very unhappy fellow when I first met him. You could see it on his face. He was traveling with his wife who was equal in temperament and very paranoid about everything, especially being able to find a taxi to return to the airport when they left. This was not prearranged and everything else had been scheduled six months in advance up to that point. It's so funny to see him say that it's not necessary when his wife was freaking out in the street when she found out that we weren't getting a taxi for them! haha!

I NEVER charge people for taxi service going back to the airport because it is unnecessary in most cases. That's why he can now, sit back and talk about it. After you have been here for a few days you will see that I will coach you on how to take cabs and busses on you own. Once you have been by yourself, going back and forth, hither and yon, our guests can get their own taxis and go to the airport. However, upon arrival, particularly late night or early morning flights, of course airport pickup & Anglophone (and Japanese!) guide service is necessary because you don't know where you're going and especially so for people who don't speak French. It's not only a SenegalStyle convenience, it's common sense and our airport service isn't only for us, but we will pick people up and take them to other hotels throughout the Dakar region. Having a friendly English speaking guide waiting for you to help you take care of problems like lost luggage or visa questions, change your money, get through the crowds and take you to your final destination is a godsend to many travelers, not a rip off.

Their entire stay was like that - they had everything pre-arranged and bought and paid for in advance by me, including their Casamance ferry tickets. Had I not gotten their tickets ahead of time for them they would not have been able to take that trip and they saw that for themselves as one of their house mates had attempted to take a similar ferry trip but was unable to go because it was sold out. He knows that but seems to have forgotten that detail. They were the type that were nice and gregarious in your face. Every morning I asked if they slept well. I say this to EVERYONE because some people like hard pillows and use them as a back rest to read and don't use a pillow for sleeping at all. Some want soft, some want both, it's hard to judge unless you speak up. Not 2 months later on TripAdvisor, but the same day or the next day, saying 'hey Sineta, do you have any softer pillows?' - that's just not difficult. Actually there was a spot of chocolate on the sheet, and probably it was me with it on my finger because we had some Dutch girls that gave me some as a gift. I was sneaking it so as not to share! haha! Anyway I do remember changing sheets and eating chocolate and didn't realize I left a bit of residue but obviously it wasn't anything else. Besides, WHO among us would sleep on sheets that we actively believed had feces on them? The fact that he would claim this shows what I have been saying. If his stay was so horrible, he should have demanded I change the sheets, asked for more pillows, requested a towel or whatever else they needed. I don't bite.

His wife, who was high strung about everything, would have asked him to leave. They never mentioned one word to me about being unhappy about anything other than complaining that I didn't sit down and eat with them.

To cover briefly his comments about our other prepaid services are well worth it and just as you prepay your airline ticket, make a cruise reservation and make other prearranged travel services, doing the same here is the insurance you need to be sure that you will do exactly what you have expressed an interest in doing when you arrive here in Senegal.

Let me put another thing into context.

When you come to SenegalStyle, you are a guest in our home. This is not a hotel and I have never said otherwise. We open our doors to travelers from all over the world. This (Senegal) is a French speaking country and the cost of living is very high. Hotels are expensive and sometimes people prefer a lower priced and more homey alternative - that's great! That's what we're here for and what we have been doing, very well, for years. We provide beds, breakfast and dinner. The problem with these two was, they wanted me to sit down, drink with them (which I don't do), visit, and talk during their meals. He was hanging around the kitchen watching me cook, wash dishes and engage me in conversation rather than allowing me to do what is necessary to keep them and our other guests fed and take care of our other customers who were utilizing our touring services and/or participating in African drum and dance classes. They wouldn't allow me to breath... and when I finally said something they got mad and this review is the result.

To complain that I gave him larger portions than his wife... I mean really. U guys see what I'm saying I'm sure. If that's something worth complaining about, and he only said it once and I forgot! I do know that every time both plates came back empty so in the end, it didn't even matter.

Another thing he said is that I do everything myself, this is true so if there was dust on furniture that isn't being used, (and mentioned that we live on a dusty dirt road so why mention the dust???), it was the holiday season (a big Muslim holiday/Christmas/New Years) so obviously I'm busy and I didn't have time to 'entertain' them and that is the crux of this review. That's why he said he thinks I need to have help so we could be 'better' - what that meant was 'we want you to entertain us even though we swore to you we were experienced travelers and don't need hand holding during your busy holiday tourism season.'

SenegalStyle B&B is a guest house, and they, along with everyone else that visits Dakar and needs a place to stay, are guests in our home. However, I have other businesses that I run as well so I am not available 24/7 to visitors and to think otherwise is unrealistic. This I think was his main problem - is spite of the fact I would come in at 5 or 6 after doing a tour (with them sometimes!), he would still want me to stop and talk and entertain them (and dust I suppose!) How is dinner going to get cooked? He actually asked me after we had just come in when dinner would be ready, before I even got my shoes off! haha!

Just so it's clear to all, my in home 'work' hours is from 9am to 12 noon for breakfast, 7pm until 10pm for dinner. We serve breakfast at 10am and 8pm. In between I am doing tours, going to the market and running errands, just like everyone else in the world!

For about $40 a night you get a clean, comfortable room, a full breakfast (not bread and coffee like francophone hotels) and a very good dinner. That's what you are signing up for when you book with us and that's what you will receive. If you look at our review numbers for all our SenegalStyle services, we have over 150 overall, with a higher percentage of excellent reviews that, to tell the truth, keeps me humble and working hard to make our guest experiences even BETTER!

Service to travelers is a profession that I enjoy doing and along with all my other activities as a tour guide, clothing & fashion designer, and eBay retail mogul (smile), it allows me to stay home with my son and provide him a good international education. I am thankful for all the people who have chosen to drop in on us and I look forward to meeting other international travelers in the future. Our doors are always open as long as we have space, which usually, we don't and that's why we have booking in advance!

We are not only top rated here in the B&B section but our tours and African drumming are top rated under the 'Things to Do' section right here on TripAdvisor as well. Our English, Italian (and Japanese) speaking guides are available for public transport travel for as little as $2 an hour so truly, we focus on the budget traveler getting around the country in a safe and comfortable fashion at a price they can afford.

Sometimes karma has a way of coming back on you and I have always and will always keep mine as clean as I possibly can so don't worry - you're in good hands, when you choose SenegalStyle services!
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We haven't stopped talking about our visit to Dakar! As you know, we made several stops on our vacation and have to say that Dakar was by far the best one. It would not have been what it was if it wasn't for you. I am so happy that Dave found you on the internet, and we made arrangements to stay with you. You have such a warm spirit, and are a very caring sincere person. I felt that from you when we first met! We can't thank you enough for everything you did for us while we were there. From the delicious meals each day, taking us on the City tour, enlightening us on the history/culture of Dakar and so much more. You are a gem, and anyone who chooses to stay with you is in good hands!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kennyle9
Dakar
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I've spent the best week in west Africa in Senegal. I stayed in Senegal Style that was recommended in the lonely planet. Sineta the American, English speaking, owner is a star! She organised all the activities ( I did a lot!) for me, drumming lessons, surfing, horse riding at the lac rose, Goree island and more......all with English speaking people. She always made sure I arrived to my activities safety and on time ( yes! on time! In west Africa ! Lol...). Being a solo female traveller this has been the place where I enjoyed the most in terms of feeling looked after and safe. That has been priceless! I had nothing to worry about which was exactly what I was looking for....... I felt at home in a nice guesthouse with caring and friendly people. Sineta has been leaving in Senegal for 15 years and is very knowledgable about the culture and is happy to share all her knowledge with visitors.

The drumming lessons with Ibou were GREAT!!!! He is a good mix of cool, passionate about drumming, lay back and encouraging mood. All you need in a teacher when you are a beginner like me. I also went to his band rehearsal and they were ALL friendly, polite and welcoming. Great vibe!!!!

Another great advantage was to meet Jonathan George at the airport, a nice young man that runs SenegalStyle airport pickup service. He was there to meet me, helped me to change money and took me to my final destination with no problem. I highly recommend him and SenegalStyle Airport Pickup Service to anyone visiting Dakar

So all in all, SenegalStyle is a place I would recommend to every one who want to get the real flavour of Senegalese culture.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, clean and with nice decoration.....
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LaMaga2013
Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed 2days at their new auberge across the street,the room i was had 3 beds,and no one else was there so that was ok.the room was very large and the bathroom was en suite.its a big place and looks like it will take 30or 40 people its still little empty,its not officially open yet but they are taking people if you ask nicely.Sineta and Jon fixed up nice place for me and the rate was only 10.000fcfa senegalese money a night(20dollars) so its cheapest in town.it was clean and thats what i need i accidentaly put terrible for fitness center but i made a mistake there is no fitness center yet but there will be later on the roof they said

Room Tip: if u smoker like me take the first room on the bottom,right side . It's near the door so you ca...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Aicha s
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I traveled to Senegal with our two children, 13 and 16. It was our first trip (his 2nd). He stayed at Senegalstyle before and brought us back there because it was cheap. (My husbands words, not mine!). I wouldn't say 'cheap though because that implies bad quality and I found everything from the decorations, beds, food, cleanliness very nice. It's not a 5 star hotel and there are plenty more expensive places in Dakar. I looked online before we decided to revisit Senegalstyle, well, because it was a lot less expensive to rent a place that included meals and tours together. The photos are exactly as the rooms looked when we arrived and she keeps the place very clean.

My overall view of Sineta, her son and the drivers for the tours is very positive. Of course it's her house and she has her ways of fitting everything in to a 24 hour day. I don't know how she does it but she took wonderful care of our family and aided in helping us have a wonderful vacation in Dakar and I'm still smiling!

Like she says in all the emails (oh, LOTS of communication from her before during and even after we left she sent an email asking if the trip back was good!) She told us everything we need to bring (which helped us save lots of money) and what to expect ahead of time, including bringing our own beach towels.

Senegalstyle exceeded my expectations which were high because my husband had been there before!

TIPS: My teens loved the garden room, the 4x4s, camels and turtles at pink lake and the wildlife park. Fortunately we paid everything in advance or we would have gone thru more money at higher exchange rates once we got there. Being able to get up, eat breakfast if there was time (she packed meals for us a couple of times because we had to leave early) and going with our driver every day to go to a different place made it very easy for us. I didn't have to think or decide what to do, Sineta helped us plan all of our day trips and arranged for our driver to take us and pick us up from our daily outings. We just went had a great time and came back for dinner. Having Sineta take the stress out getting here and there made this the best vacation I ever had!

I Highly Recommend Senegalstyle...You Won't Be Sorry!
Cathy Thomas