“Lac Rosé et Ile de Gorée”
Review of SenegalStyle Tours

SenegalStyle Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Please no drop ins! Thanks! ART GALLERY & CITY TOUR for visitors and NEWCOMERS to DAKAR: Don't waste your valuable time your first days here getting frustrated because you aren't 'seeing' anything but traffic! We will take you to the best beaches, those that are not in the Lonely Planet! All the coolest places, nicest art galleries, and talented artists, beautiful homes, and quick looks at major tourist attractions. Later on, you know where to go and can have a more focused, efficient tour on your own. Pickup at your hotel or residence: 11:00hr and return at 17:00hr BUDGET PRICED: $100 a day for up to 3 people w/driver (taxi) & English speaking guide! Reservations for our tours are must be made in advance via email, and paid in advance by credit card using PayPal to ensure availability and schedule/book your tour.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lac Rosé et Ile de Gorée”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a day trip to Lac Rosé, turtle center and Ile de Gorée with Jenobah. The trip went from good to excellent. The Lac Rosé was not pink, but we were told that it changes depending on the season. I was so excited about seeing a pink lake that was a little bit disappointed at the beginning. However, getting on the boat and seeing how the workers get the salt was really interesting. The turtle center was very interesting, too! We learned about these amazing animals and were able to see baby turtles: really cute!!! The trip to Gorée Island was very amazing. Our guide explained us in detail about history and anecdotes of this place. You cannot miss this one! I would totally recommend taking these tours in the order mentioned , as I think that would not be the same if I started with Gorée and finished with the lake. My colleagues and I were really satisfied with SenegalStyle services.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Jinprincess

Napa, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Dakar tour”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

A good day seeing what there is to see in Dakar with Sineta, a transplanted Floridian so easy to understand. The highlight was a delicious lunch overlooking the ocean.

Visited March 2014
Pensacola, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Mobility Challenges? TAKE THE CAR TOUR! haha!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

No way I would get on a motorscooter with her but their car tour is the best! I have traveled all over the world and now that I'm older my walking abilities are limited BUT I have to say that doing a city tour with Sineta and her driver was the most positive one I have ever had. Really. They are very kind and patient and helped me in and out of the car with no problems. I like to take pictures, even if i'm not very good but they slowed down or stopped at every single coconut tree in town so I could get a shot with no problem!

If you like nice people and don't like rushing about and experience and live like the locals, take a taxi, hire Sineta to be your guide and relax.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank BeJoy2014
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“About SenegalStyle Lac Rose Tours”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have been in Dakar for a week for a conference at King Fahd hotel. I really enjoy Senegal and I have had a wonderful experience touring with their staff. In fact, I will be staying at Senegal style with Sineta George so I am really excited. I really appreciated all the services in one place. My tour in Lac Rose was so nice that I'm still dreaming of riding a camel and the beautyful trees and white sand. We went to a turtle place that was very nice as well and so off the beaten path, I am sure I would have never found this place on my own. I also took a city tour and went to a great restaurant on the ocean. Reasonably priced, I forgot the name but it was beautiful as well as right by the hotel. I highly recommend the city tour if only to get out and see the sites with good company! I had a girl guide to lake rose and turtle village as well, which as also very good. N.Let me Thank again SenegalStyle B and B Service's.
Sineta George is such a nice manager I recommend everything that she organizes! .

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Aesha Z
Marlborough, Massachusetts
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“4 Tours, Some Better Than Others”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

SenegalStyle is Sineta George, American living in Senegal, and the team of drivers and guides she has assembled.

We took four SenegalStyle tours on our recent visit to Dakar, with mixed results. Below are descriptions of each. I give ratings for each, based on TripAdvisor's 5 star scale. I am rating the SenegalStyle tour, not the attraction, which I'll rate separately on their individual TripAdvisor pages.

Dakar City Tour - 2 stars: Driver Mas is a good driver and a really nice guy. Sineta was the guide. There is a lot of noise about how difficult Dakar is. So we booked Sineta's City Tour to get the lay of the land with a guide to buffer us from the alleged difficulties. We found the city to be kind of boring - a government, business, administrative center. We're not shoppers, visits to shops were on the itinerary. The African Renaissance statue is a ho-hum landmark that is reminiscent of the old soviet-style, a newly-created monument that needs some time to reach true landmark status. And Sineta's descriptions were loaded with editorial comment, light on facts.

As it turned out after five days (four too many) in Dakar, we found it to be not difficult at all (this is not to say it is a particularly pleasant place, just not scary). Maybe it's because we're older, maybe because we're experienced travelers, but whenever a tout or beggar approached, a simple, firm "non, merci" was accepted and they went away.

While we did get some geographic orientation that was helpful, we found the City Tour to be not worth the time or money to us.

Bandia Park - 4 stars: English-speaking guide Meisa did a good job explaining things to us and made sure we were getting as much as we could from the experience. Bandia is very expensive for what it is - an open-air zoo populated with animals mostly from elsewhere in Africa. It was fun driving around and seeing the animals, but I couldn't help thinking of Disney World's Animal Kingdom which, while smaller and in an artificial savanna, has a larger variety of animals. Fun but ultimately disappointing.

After Bandia, Meisa and Mas took us to the beach village of Popenguine, which was very nice, we walked the beach, met up with a wedding party who shared bissap with us as a toast, saw a wrestling coach training young grapplers and enjoyed an hour or so of tranquility.

As far as SenegalStyle's tour went, it was expensive, but we were in a private car, with more flexibility than we would have had in a (much less expensive) bus tour.

Lac Rose - 4 stars minus one for some driving blunders: Meisa was our guide again for the trip to the Pink Lake, Tortoise sanctuary and a visit to a small village. A different driver, I don't remember his name. This was an interesting and fun day. We weren't interested in a camel ride or 4 wheeler noise machine, so can't report on the value of those features of the Lac Rose tour. We started in a little village that immediately was identified as without health care facilities or schools, leading us to think it was a donation opportunity. We were shown around the village by a son of the village chief, who we later met in person. He narrated in Wolof, which Meisa translated for us. We saw how they draw water, how they prepare food, some of their animals, some of their farming. Then, just like so many tours around the world, to the gift shop. The chief's son suddenly switched to French when exotic native time ended and sales time began. After some standard bargaining, we bought a couple of items at a decent price and helped the village.

After the village, we drove back around the lake to the boat "docks". Because the main road along the lake shore was in rough shape, the driver took a detour which involved getting stuck in sand, which we had to push out of, and the car dying at one point, which the driver was able to remedy eventually. Not on the agenda, but fun in the end. We got in a boat, poled out into the lake to see salt collectors. The lake was not pink, but that didn't really matter. The lake, apparently cut off from the ocean ages ago, is about 4 feet of water sitting on a bed of 4 feet of salt. Guys were in the water, next to their boats. They held a basket in place on the bottom with their feet and used a long-handled shovel to scoop salt into the basket. They then lifted the heavy load into the boat and started on the next load. The collected salt was in piles on the shore drying out. It is then shipped all over West Africa. We found this to be a very interesting part of the legendary African salt trade.

Next stop was the Tortoise refuge. Meisa and the driver did not know where this was, but with frequent stops to ask directions, we got there. This was an interesting spot, with dozens of native tortoises being bred for later release into the wild. The guide there obviously loved the tortoises and knew everything about them, which he shared with us.

The drive home was bad. The driver left the superhighway, diving down into local traffic because he was low on gas. This caused us to spend at least an hour is Dakar's terrible traffic, the worst aspect of which was the incredible air pollution, with many of the stopped cars spewing black smoke. We had sore throats for a couple of days after, it was like we had smoked a pack of petroleum cigarettes. One extra liter of gas would have been enough to bypass this whole problem, we had only a few kilometers to go. A sour end to a nice day.

Goree Island: 2 stars. First of all, we could have done this without a guide. Goree Island is a pleasant place with an unpleasant history. It is small, everything is easy to get to. We started out with Jonathan, Sineta's very nice 20 year old son, taking us to the docks to find a guide for us. This because we had changed the schedule, it was New Years Day and the original plan had fallen apart. First of all, we went too late to get on the 12:30 ferry because it was a holiday and the boat was on a weekend schedule, leaving at 12:00. So we had to wait until 2:00. Then the guide that Jonathan had hooked us up with did not show up on the boat, even after we called him on the phone to tell him we were ready to go. So we went to the island, where magically, Mr Ndaye, one of Sineta's guides, found us and gave us the tour. It was okay, but not worth the price we paid, especially in light of the compound problems getting this arranged.

So in the end, the local tours were not worth it while the out of town trips were pretty good.

Visited December 2013