Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza
La Demeure(Dakar)
US$179
US$175
US$210
All reviewsinfinity poolshopping malllittle buddhabeautiful designbusiness classgorgeous hotelpool sidegreat poolpoolside barbusiness triproom serviceoverlooking the oceansun loungersoutdoor areabusiness hotellate checkrooms are spacious
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 July 2014

From the fantastic view in the lobby, to the great scene at the pool, to the people throughout the hotel….everything was beautiful. The staff was very accommodating. The hotel was truly more than I expected. Having a room with access to the garden is definitely a treat. The breakfast was very good as well. Overall, everyone was wonderful, however there were several people who stood out amongst the rest. Mr. Oumar (not sure about the spelling) was very people friendly, even aiding with my wifi connection issues as well as occasional translations in French. And, namely Mamadou, Yousef, and Theirnof (all of which I am not sure about the spellings) were very helpful and went beyond the call of duty to ensure a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear tigresstsu,
We thank you very much for your nice comments shared on Tripadvisor on your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar. We are happy to know that we met your expectations and even more. The whole team and myself look very much forward to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

What a gorgeous, gorgeous hotel. It is quite unique because you come in off the street and actually go down to get to the rooms. It's built into the side of a hill!

I stayed here twice, for two nights each. Check-in was fine, although slow. One of the times, they couldn't get the connection to run the credit card and made me hang around the front desk until they got it. After hours of traveling it was quite frustrating to have to do that. Finally someone ran it a different way and it was fine, but it was annoying. Check out was easy and the shuttle to the airport was super easy even at 4 am. It was also easy to get a taxi both on the grounds and off. The presence of the guard makes it so you can be outside in front of the hotel to meet people or wait for people without worry.

The breakfast was quite good - buffet with lots of options. There's also on that same level, an ATM and a very expensive gift shop with beautiful items. It was very smoky at night and I couldn't really hang out there even though there were sofas and stuff. On this same level is the pool, which is just amazing. You swim in it and it looks like you're swimming on the edge of the ocean. I can't even explain it!

My room was a standard room, it was quite fine. There is mosquito spray in the room, and you have to spray it when you get in and then leave for an hour or so for it to work. The internet connectivity was also fine.

The location was outstanding. It's right next to a shopping mall that has everything you could want including a great grocery store. And it's right on the Corniche, where you can go for a really nice run, or a nice walk up to one of the other high end restaurants, and do some sightseeing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear philsdottir,
Thank you very much for sharing on Tripadvisor your experience with us. We are really sorry about the problem occurred upon your check-in. We hope that such problem won’t happen anymore as the credit card payment system has been improved. It was a great pleasure to have you with us again and we look forward to seeing you back in Dakar soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights while on a business trip. I arrived at the airport at 0145 and the hotel transfer was waiting, check-in was quick the stay was good. I was initially put in a room on the pool level opening to the poolside bar - too noisy so was moved to a very quiet room on the top floor. The WiFi works well and is free, the see facing rooms have a great view and the breakfasts were good. One complaint is that you get 2 small bottles of complimentary water on arrival and have to purchase thereafter - very odd given that if a room has different guests each night they would have to put bottles in the rooms daily. The pool area is pleasant and it's a good place to relax and do emails in the evening.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Steve H,
Thank you very much for choosing the Radisson Blu Hotel for your stay in Dakar and for sharing your nice and constructive comments on Tripadvisor. We look very much forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Recently I ended up experiencing an extended stay at the Radisson Blu in Dakar and from my time there I felt it best to share my thoughts. Of all the hotels in Dakar, I would highly rate the Radisson as one of the best.

From the beginning of my stay the hotel staff were extremely hospitable, courteous and thoughtful - from Madina at the Guest Relations desk, Jorgen the General Manager, to Soyibou and Pascal at the Pool Bar. I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant experience. The hotel faces out dramatically onto the Atlantic on the Corniche Ouest, close to the embassy area and the World Bank, and has an impressive pool, generously sized rooms and a great bar with a view that is epic and unforgettable. The hotel is also right next to a mall, Sea Plaza, so if you need any amenities or even the spa, you can wander over easily in a few minutes. My only downside would be the business centre which charges c.$20 an hour to use a computer. Aside from that there is wifi throughout the hotel. In terms of rooms, the best face out onto the sea and are recommended for the view versus the garden rooms.

Palm trees, grassy banks with sun loungers to relax on and you're greeted with a smile everywhere you go - what more could you ask for? I guess this makes sense in Dakar which is one of the friendliest, most welcoming cities I have visited.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms have exceptional views. Request rooms on the higher floors overlooking the pool and outdoor bar area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear SLW_nyc,
Many thanks for the great comments on Tripadvisor. We are all very proud reading your great experience, most of all the great attitude of the staff. I have shared your comments with all the staff members, they all felt very proud to have served you. We look very much forward to welcome you back very soon.
We wish you a pleasant summer season.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have been traveling back and forth to Senegal for nearly 20 years and I have stayed in the Radisson Blu a few times over the past few years. I have seen the rise, reign, and eventual decline of several hotel properties in Senegal over this period. The Radisson Blu Dakar fills the gap in the market for those who want to feel like they have “modern” accommodations while in Africa.

The Radisson is frequented by airline crews, World Bank types, foreign diplomats, and celebrities. This place is ex-patriot central. The high priced, secure, trendy property has the requisite modern architecture, infinity pool facing the ocean, fluffy white bedding, fancy shower, and a string of niceties that are well documented in other reviews. The Radisson is co-located near a shopping complex with western friendly stores like Benetton and a nicely appointed sushi restaurant.

Overall, I have enjoyed my stays. Yet, if I scrutinize the details just a tad, it is fairly easy to find fault in the hotel to include the accommodations, service, the sometimes annoying presence of sultry sex workers, and poor staff conduct. On the latter point, during my most recent stay, a server in the restaurant, Oumou, asked me to hurry up and leave, so she could prepare my table for lunch. Her words were, “Depechez vous SVP”. At least she used the polite form, vous. There were a few lingering guest in the restaurant but she was obsessed with my table. She came back twice to ask me to leave, each time giving me sharp, disapproving looks. Now imagine yourself being chastised by your grade school principal, except she’s 20 and you are nearly 50 years old and you are in a high priced hotel not at school. Later, I gently reminded Oumou and the young man who said he was the manager, Lucas, that sometimes it is not what you say to guests but how you say it. They offered apologies but I am left unconvinced they were sincere. (I could share more examples of faults with other aspects of my stays but see other reviewers’ comments for diverse opinions).

Interestingly, despite little bits like this, and the high price point, The Radisson Blu Dakar will continue to be the “go to” “it girl” “bells and whistles” hotel for travelers who do not want to accept common inconveniences and realities that accompany a stay in Senegal and similar countries. In my experience, this trend will continue until little problems overtake the hotels perceived value or until a new hotel replaces this one. Look for the progression of reviews that include terms like, faded glory, used to be, needs updating, etc. Ironically, hotels and aging Hollywood stars are often referenced using the same terms. Alas, we travelers are a trendy set!

In closing, if you want to stay at a location with a modern, sort of like you are not in Africa vibe, you will truly enjoy the Radisson Blu Dakar. If you want the place to exceed your expectations, do not focus on the messy bits or try to hold this place to the standard of a 5-star hotel. This is not a 5-star hotel!! Compared to a Ritz Carlton high end property, I would give the Radisson Blu Dakar a conservative 3.5, although it has 5 star hotel price point. I would characterize it as a luxury façade facility that is way ahead of the pack in its ability to offer travelers a blissful retreat in Senegal…… for now.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Liza B
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Liza B,
We thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your stay, thanks for posting your observations on Tripadvisor. Your very valuable comments have been discussed with all relevant staff. For the incident at the breakfast, I will personally discuss it with the person and the entire restaurant staff to ensure that an incident like this never happen again.
We extend you our sincere apologies and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and I personally would like to meet you on your next visit.