“Wouldn't be my first choice in Dakar”

Le Ndiambour Hotel et Residence
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Dakar
UK
“Wouldn't be my first choice in Dakar”
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in January for a meeting. The hotel is located in a not-very-salubrious backstreet in the Plateau area of Dakar, not far from shopping streets and the French Cultural Centre. On arrival, the gentleman on reception was very helpful and check-in accomplished smoothly, although my "keycard" with room number was a torn-off piece of paper with the number scribbled on the back!

My room, on the 7th floor, was very dark, and the balcony doors not only would not lock but could not be fully closed, which might be a problem in the malaria season, although one door was protected by a mosquito screen. There are also no bed nets. The water in the bathroom was an odd greenish colour and a number of cockroaches came to visit during my stay, although to be fair this would not be unusual in any hotel in the region. As others have mentioned, there is a TV in the room but the picture quality is almost completely lost in snow. The rooms are, fortunately, air-conditioned.

The buffet lunch was good as was the conference room. In general, the staff were very helpful. I did not use the pool on the top floor but understand that it does exist!

In summary, the hotel was adequate for a 2-day business meeting, but when returning to Dakar I will be checking out alternatives first.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TheAviatorUk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel is underrated.

The quality of the service compares to much more expensive hotels - the rooms are huge - they are designed almost like a suite - and the location is perfect for Dakar.

Just steps away from two main downtown shopping streets -- its setting on a side street is actually an advantage. It's silent, peaceful - and safe. I walked from the main avenue to the hotel at midnight without.

The hawkers outside the hotel can be a bit irritating, but after I told the most aggressive person that I didn't want to buy anything or go to any gallery, he immediately disappeared.

My organization held a half-day workshop at the hotel, and it was one of the best organized, smoothest, and best attended of the conferences we manage, hosted by seven different African cities.

The staff was both accommodating and genuinely friendly. They went out of their way to accommodate my needs - and made me feel like royalty.

I particularly liked the swimming pool on the roof -- which grants a view of the entire city and is one of the cleanest and clearest I've seen in tropical Africa.

The food in the hotel was divine. I nervously ordered the prawns provencale. Experienced travelers know that piquant sauces are often used to hide the taste of yesterday's seafood, but the prawns were fresh and tasty, and the spices in the sauce nuanced and delicious.

It wasn't the perfect place - there is no wine or beer served in the restaurant, which is a shame because the quality of the food definitely calls for a wine list.

And because it is a hotel where many international organizations hold their conferences, it is a good idea for the owner to invest a little bit more money into the wi-fi so it is available in every room. I did most of my emailing from the lobby. I'd even be willing to pay a little bit extra to have reliable wi-fi in my room.

This is not a Radisson Blu, but it's one third the price, and I am sure that the service would not have been any better though the price is much higher.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank travelwriter316
Cotonou, Benin
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The hotel is located in the city centre not far from the Centre Culturel Francais. Let's say that's the only good point.
It is a big empty building without any 'ambiance'. Long corridors with many rooms. The rooms are dark, but quite spacious. There is a tv but located very high up the wall close to the ceiling, so it was impossible to watch while being on your bad. Actually, it wasn't a big problem since almost all channels showed snow...
No, never again. There are much better deals in town!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sander Z

Travellers are raving about these Dakar hotels

London
Reviewed 12 June 2013

A good place for a conference: there is a variety of meeting rooms available, and excellent buffet lunch is available for your participants. They will also appreciate the free wifi, which now works very well.

The hotel part of the Ndiambour looks as if it's been recently renovated; there are major building works going on in the residence part (with its small studios).

There was a cold buffet breakfast with some good quality food on offer. Sometimes I had to ask for fresh fruit, but it was always eventually provided, with a smile.

Some of the staff are really friendly and helpful. Others seem more indifferent.

The street is quiet, especially at night, and I walked unmolested to restaurants on the Plateau each night.

The one thing to hotel lacks is some sort of garden.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Miami
Reviewed 19 March 2013

fairly well situated but in a not so desirable side street. Basic rooms, basic breakfast, no other services to talk about. Feels more like an aparthotel than a true hotel. Doen not look like a hotel patronized by western tourist.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
floryalie, Responsable relations clients at Le Ndiambour Hotel et Residence, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
We thank you for your opinion. We really appreciate comments from our guests because they permit us to improve our services.
Le Ndiambour Hôtel et Résidence has the specificity to be an apparthotel and a hotel with many types of room: standard rooms, luxury studios, spacious flats. Unfortunately, we don't know in wich room you have stayed. We offer very confortable and lovely studios. We are in renovation at the moment(new rooms, lovely suites...) We wish you could try in these rooms at your next stay in Dakar. We will be happy to offer you your first night.
Bingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

So, stayed here in October 2012 for work, and overall fine for downtown Dakar. Rooms are reasonable and clean, and staff friendly. The hotel is on a backstreet, but the area is relatively safe (though the hustling can be intimidating), and its right in the centre of Dakar, not far from the port. Wi-fi/Internet is free (I'd recommend using the provided ethernet cable for decent speeds - Wi-Fi in the rooms is glacial). Breakfast basic but tasty, and lunch/dinner also available (though outside the eating times, there are no services onsite). Great views from the rooftop!

One glitch whilst I was here: they thought I'd checked out after only 1 night (so promptly moved my bag to the reception desk and put someone else in my room). Imagine my surprise when I passed reception after a morning of meetings to see my luggage! They sorted it soon enough, and maybe this was just my misfortune, rather than symptomatic of a serious problem.

Room Tip: Go high, and at the front of the building! It has 7 floors - the rooms have balconies, so there are...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ijhodgson
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights for work. The room was nicely laid out and comfortable. The wired internet was really good, although the WiFi was not great. Thankfully they do provide an ethernet cable in the room. Staff were also friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was mediocre. If it is not included in your room rate, I would eat somewhere else. Also, my bathroom needed some work. The sliding door on the bathroom got stuck while I was inside. Since there are no phones in the bathroom, I had to break down the door to get out. The toilet also stopped flushing. Both of these things happened on my last day before check out, so I did not get a chance to see how quickly they fixed these.

I certainly would stay here again if I had to, although I might check out another option next time for some comparison.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business