King Fahd Palace
US$299
US$299
US$292
Travelocity
All reviewshotel groundsdesperate needfitness centerbusiness centerthe atlantic oceanatriumpersonnel
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I recently stayed at the King Fahd Hotel for a week. The exterior of the hotel is gorgeous along with the lobby and poolside area. The hotel has several amenities including an ATM, gift shop, hair salon and spa for massages. There is a gym but it is relatively small. The rooms are large and kept very clean, but slightly outdated. The shower is excellent and hot but water tends to get trapped along the sides of the tub and then flows onto the bathroom floor. The staff is very professional and offer excellent customer service. The hotel offers an excellent selection of food between the restaurants and poolside dining including traditional Senegalese dishes. The breakfast was included in the room rate and was very impressive. It included fresh fruit juices, fresh fruit, pastries, breads, cereals, yogurt, granola and made-to-order omelets along with meats, potatoes and an assortment of other foods. There are restaurants in walking distance to the hotel along with readily available cab service. I would not recommend using the hotel shuttle service to and from the airport if you have a tight schedule or you lack patience. When I arrived I had to wait 15 minutes for a prescheduled pick-up and upon departure the 8pm shuttle left 15 minutes later than expected. Keeping all that in mind, I would definitely stay here again, but please note the hotel is declining and probably will not be as suitable for a comfortable visit in the years to come if it is not renovated.

Room Tip: The rooms are about the same but I would recommend a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TrinaGO
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during a business trip to Dakar, and while there were shortcomings with the hotel, the staff more than made up for them.

The hotel is in a fantastic location, right on the coast between the current airport (a new one is to open soon) and the downtown area. Adjacent to the hotel is a golf course and within the grounds there are tennis courts and pools. A short cab ride form the hotel is a number of bars, clubs, restaurants and casinos. The lobby area is quite open and bright with all of the things you’d expect to see in a 5 star hotel. Check-in was smooth and quick, and I was allocated a room on middle floors and I was apparently upgraded to a suite ….. Always nice.

The room was huge … separate sitting room, tea making/mini bar room, powder room, bedroom, walk in robe and ensuite. The furnishing was comfortable, although they did look in need of replacement. The bed was VERY comfortable and the blackout curtains were very effective.

The Sitting room and bedrooms both had flat screen TV’s in them with the usual selection of International al news channels, along with local programming and DSTV (including SuperSport) from South Africa. The Wi-Fi was apparently free during my stay, however the signal strength in the room was very much dependent on where you were sitting. At the desk in the bedroom I hardly had a signal, yet in the sitting room it was perfect ….. It took the IT Support guys to come up and sort this out for me, which was done swiftly and with a smile.

The iron in my room didn’t work and nor did the replacement the staff swiftly brought me, so I used the valet service to get my shirt pressed and it was back in 15 minutes flat …. Fantastic. Again, the valet attendant collected and delivered my shirt with a smile.

Used room service once and the delivery was fast, portions were adequate and both the main and the dessert were very good. That’s was the only meal I had within the hotel.

All in all a pleasant stay, and while the hotel itself is in need of some remedial work, the staff were top class. All the staff I dealt with spoke perfect English (and I assume French) and would always greet me with a smile and a willingness to assist if required. Would I stay here again, yes.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This hotel, situated in Les Almadies just across from the US embassy offers a good stay, the rooms are, for the most part, in good shape but are a bit tired.
Great location and relatively close to the airport, the hotel has a shuttle available to and from the airport which is convenient. There is a 'Salon Privee' at the arrivals hall where one can wait for the shuttle.
The hotel has several restaurants and offers a buffet breakfast. The pool and beach allow for a relaxing stay. not inexpensive but still affordable.

1  Thank Dbnguy73
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My client booked this for me and I will never let them book me another hotel.

Not remotely close to 5 stars. It's on par with a Super 8 or F1 in Europe. It was built in a "grand style" in the late 80's or early 90's and they appear to have done nothing since then to maintain it. Everything looks shabby and/or is literally rotting. The door of my bathroom is pealing it's chipboard. My room smelled like mildew and mould. The power outlet was hanging a bit out of the wall. The furnishings are are cracked and stained. The lock on my door didn't work.

The wifi is terrible, it works a bit better if you stand near the door. But even then it's just down sometimes.

I only stayed two days and had so-so fish with bad greasy vegetables the first night. The second I ordered pasta and I think I've seen/smelled better pasta at a gas station. I don't even know how you can mess it up. I didn't eat more than one bite. Also a note, don't try the local beer "La Gazelle", it's terrible.

The staff are slow and not very good at their jobs. Friendly enough though.

Breakfast is below average. I avoided anything that could potentially make me sick so I had bad croissant both mornings. Stale and doughy. Coffee is burnt and terrible.

So, yeah, I know, "This is Africa", but honestly this place could have done better. It's like they aren't even trying. Yet they are charging European prices. I would have rather stayed at an Ibis.

So to sum it up, don't stay here. On a positive note, at least there was hot water and electricity and nothing was stolen from my room.

Room Tip: I could see the ocean, so if you have to stay at this dump maybe request an ocean room?
1  Thank JMfromTO
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I often visit sub-saharan Africa for business. The improvements are visible in Dakar by naked eyes each and every time I visit this beautiful country. The last stay was 5 days for continues meetings. The conference center is perfect. If you visit sub-saharan Africa this Hotel deserves the real 5 stars. Avoid the Spa. The rooms have to be refurbished asap.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Atlantic.