“Very basic hotel, with lots of faults”
Review of Hotel Sokhamon

Hotel Sokhamon
Ranked #23 of 45 Hotels in Dakar
Reviewed 25 October 2011

This hotel is very basic, and has few redeeming qualities.

On the positive side:
- The hotel is on the coast, and has a good view over the coast and ocean.
- The lady bar manager is very friendly and helpful.
- A complementary 1.5 litre bottle of water was in my room
- The room was huge
- I slept very well

On the irritating side:
- the toilet seat was broken,
- the shower had no curtain, so water went everywhere,
- the room had an underlying smell of urine and bleach
- there was no room safe
- there was no mini-bar (not such an issue for me, but is for some customers)
- only one overhead light worked in the room, making it very dark
- the lift call button on my floor didn't work
- the communal areas were very badly lit
- the food in the restaurant was edible, but mediocre (tinned vegetables)
- the furnishings are very old and tired

Each individual fault on its own I could forgive or ignore, but there were so many, it made me very glad I was only booked in here for one night. I would have been very disappointed had I booked this hotel either for longer, or for a holiday.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank callumx

Reviewed 11 June 2011

This is one of the best hotels I have been to recently. It was very clean. Members of staff were very helpful. I like the care and attention given by the management.

I was also very impressed by the standard of cleanliness. I had some problems with the e-mail service within my room. I was taken to an office where I was allowed to use all the facilities there. I had the opportunity of meeting the person in charge who took great care to make me feel at home.

I found out that she was a very learned had person with great interest in humanity and mankind. She cares a lot for her guests. Breakfast was excellent with great choices.

I greatly appreciated the little care and attention taken within the bathroom and the provision of special perfume.

If I do return to Dakar, this is the 1st place I will head for. It is also a place where I will not hesitate to take my family too.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Tayvallich1
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This hotel is the best place for a sundowner in Dakar and I think a great place to stay. Get a room facing the sea and the view is stunning when you go onto your balcony in the morning or at night and listen to the waves hitting the shore.
It has a swimming pool which is salt water and basically the length and width of one lane. I found it perfect for a morning swim but it was freezing. The staff are very friendly and a bar opens out on the decking facing the ocean in the afternoon. The rooms are clean and comfortable with nice beds, tv, fridge etc. Breakfast buffet is about 7 euros and pretty good- boiled eggs, pastries, cereal, fruit, coffee etc. I would definitely stay here again but go out for dinner as there are better places to eat. One downer was that they said they took card but the machine broke and they just gave up so I had to run around banks trying to get enough cash. Don't expect miracles with the service!

Room Tip: Book sea-view room
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wahala-o
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Nice first impression and funky design but woken up early in the morning by construction work from the neighbouring building and it continued all day. It was a shame as it looked like a great hotel to spend a few days chilling. Limited food menu as well... same 2 options for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Within 20 minutes of arriving, my colleague's bag containing a GPS, cell phone, and valuable identity papers disappeared from the reception area while he was checking in. His request to front desk staff for assistance locating the bag was met with total disinterest. After looking for it all over the place, he asked to speak to the manager and expressed his fears that the bag may have been stolen as he had put it in the counter to remove his passport. The manager took a defensive attitude, stating aggressively that he had no proof it had been stolen, and saying the bag may have been stolen by other guests in the reception area (the only people present at the time were my colleagues and hotel staff). When we requested she calls the police to file a complaint; she outright refused to in a most unpleasant tone, accusing us of using the bag as an excuse "to get money from the hotel." She refused to let us talk to her supervisor or give us the name of the owner. At the same time, three other guests were checking out given that the previous night somebody had broken into their rooms through the balcony sliding doors while they were sleeping. The manager had dismissed their concerns saying there were no security issues in the hotel and that they "must have imagined it." Needless to say, we left the hotel and checked in somewhere else. This is the worst hotel experience of my life and we received the worst treatment a hotel manager can give to customers... The manager's unhelpful and dismissive attitude, aggressiveness, disrespectful tone to customers and refusal to call the police or facilitate our contact with police to file a complaint make this the worst hotel experience of our entire lives.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
12  Thank nsr062
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I have been in the kitchen and saw lot of beetles, everithing is made for saving, not for guests. Very expensive too. Do not go

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank carluzzo
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I stayed here for one night on March 1, 2009. You should know that there is lots of construction going on. The deck facing the ocean is still being worked on. Worse, there is a large building being erected next door. This construction starts early (as you can imagine), there is a large crane in place and it looks as though it will be going on for another year... or more. Service is not tops, I know, but it is very much lacking at this place. I asked for a car to pick me up at the airport. It never came, and the receptionist's reaction was a mere shrug. I arrived at 2am and the hotel was dark and the guard gate in front unmanned. This didn't feel like a safe place to me, so I left for the Lagon II, which is a much nicer hotel, at about the same rate.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo