“Weird hotell”
Review of Hotel Sokhamon

Hotel Sokhamon
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in Dakar
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I satyed here 3 nights and it was 3 nights to many.
Its a strange looking hotell and when you enter its even stranger, looks like its cut out of a mountain with bad and ugly paintings on the walls..
It was a strange smell all over the hotell, dont know what it was.
The room was quite big and clean, and the wiew out in the restaurant was good, BUT that was the only positive thing about this place.
The staff was unfriendly and spoke only french, luckily my friend knows a word or two.
The service was terrible, and when we should check out the receptionist used an hour!!! to do so!!!
He meant we had stayed there for a week? I dont think so.....
Stay away from this hotell

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jericho J

Reviewed 11 August 2012

I checked in to this hotel in August 2012. Firstly the reception was matter of fact and not friendly.
The room was dark with almost no natural light. There was small blood stains on the sheets. No shower curtain so the floor becomes dangerous after a shower. The handle on the bathroom door was broken so it was difficult to enter. No fridge. General cleanliness was very poor. NOT recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nigelblondon
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I initally reserved this hotel for 3 nights but stayed only for a few hours(!) as things simply started to look hopeless. This is the only time in my life I have checked out from a hotel even before the first night.

The term "boutique hotel" is kinda stupid, but calling this hotel like that is almost hilarious. The building is a stalisnistic creation with all kinds of weird, kitachy details. I got the feeling that I am staying in a giant stony jail.

Some of the disappointments: the shower was cold. And it is in a bathtub without a curtain, so after you take a shower the bathroom floor is always flooding and really dangerously slippery. There was a wifi, but it did not work at all. Dakar is full of free and reasonably fast wifi networks so I would expect that any hotel should have a functional internet. The bedsheets had small bloodstains in it - indicative of bedbugs.

Okay, I won't go futher as I think this is probably enough to get an idea about the disasterous state of the hotel. Dakar is full of nice places to stay, so there is really no reason to choose thiis one.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Hulivili
Reviewed 25 October 2011

This hotel is very basic, and has few redeeming qualities.

On the positive side:
- The hotel is on the coast, and has a good view over the coast and ocean.
- The lady bar manager is very friendly and helpful.
- A complementary 1.5 litre bottle of water was in my room
- The room was huge
- I slept very well

On the irritating side:
- the toilet seat was broken,
- the shower had no curtain, so water went everywhere,
- the room had an underlying smell of urine and bleach
- there was no room safe
- there was no mini-bar (not such an issue for me, but is for some customers)
- only one overhead light worked in the room, making it very dark
- the lift call button on my floor didn't work
- the communal areas were very badly lit
- the food in the restaurant was edible, but mediocre (tinned vegetables)
- the furnishings are very old and tired

Each individual fault on its own I could forgive or ignore, but there were so many, it made me very glad I was only booked in here for one night. I would have been very disappointed had I booked this hotel either for longer, or for a holiday.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank callumx
Reviewed 11 June 2011

This is one of the best hotels I have been to recently. It was very clean. Members of staff were very helpful. I like the care and attention given by the management.

I was also very impressed by the standard of cleanliness. I had some problems with the e-mail service within my room. I was taken to an office where I was allowed to use all the facilities there. I had the opportunity of meeting the person in charge who took great care to make me feel at home.

I found out that she was a very learned had person with great interest in humanity and mankind. She cares a lot for her guests. Breakfast was excellent with great choices.

I greatly appreciated the little care and attention taken within the bathroom and the provision of special perfume.

If I do return to Dakar, this is the 1st place I will head for. It is also a place where I will not hesitate to take my family too.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Tayvallich1
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This hotel is the best place for a sundowner in Dakar and I think a great place to stay. Get a room facing the sea and the view is stunning when you go onto your balcony in the morning or at night and listen to the waves hitting the shore.
It has a swimming pool which is salt water and basically the length and width of one lane. I found it perfect for a morning swim but it was freezing. The staff are very friendly and a bar opens out on the decking facing the ocean in the afternoon. The rooms are clean and comfortable with nice beds, tv, fridge etc. Breakfast buffet is about 7 euros and pretty good- boiled eggs, pastries, cereal, fruit, coffee etc. I would definitely stay here again but go out for dinner as there are better places to eat. One downer was that they said they took card but the machine broke and they just gave up so I had to run around banks trying to get enough cash. Don't expect miracles with the service!

Room Tip: Book sea-view room
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wahala-o
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Nice first impression and funky design but woken up early in the morning by construction work from the neighbouring building and it continued all day. It was a shame as it looked like a great hotel to spend a few days chilling. Limited food menu as well... same 2 options for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple