“Would stay there again”

Ranked #46 of 102 Hotels in Kampala
Miami Beach, Florida
“Would stay there again”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Loved this hotel. The price was accommodating for center of Kampala and location was right for me (a few blocks walking distance). Clean rooms, comfy enough bed, very friendly service. Restaurant stay open 24/7 food is great. Free internet, parking. The hotel staff were wonderful!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank bmwbaldy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 3 November 2012

The hotel is centrally located in Kampala within the city and has access to most shopping locations and offices. Stayed here several times over 4 years on business trips to Uganda. The hotel is reasonably priced, has clean rooms and the staff are excellent and give good service. The food is excellent. Due to the location there is the normal noise of a bustling city which kicks off early morning but there is reasonable sound proofing.

Room Tip: Select the new wing rooms which are better and have an Internet connection.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Balclutha
Reviewed 7 August 2012

On first impressions this hotel seemed fine but after having our IPad and IPhone stolen from our room I would strongly advise to book somewhere else. Management were not helpful in investigating this problem once they were informed!! A very noisy location with street noise throughout the night. Bathrooms were not that clean and lights in bathroom not working. Shower doors very difficult to open and shut. We stayed here for two nights, one before and one after our G Adventure tour and can only suggest G Adventure look for an alternative hotel to use. We strongly recommend to look elsewhere for accommodation from our experience

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Yorky1

Travellers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Well not too sure where to begin with my review.. I will say something positive but!! Hotel is in the central part of Kampala, so if your brave enough to tackle the crowds outside and browse the markets for sone shopping, also it was very cheap, so if your on a budget than great. However.... Myself and a friend stayed here on either side of our gap adventures tour, and our first night we got no sleep cause all we heard was doors opening and slamming every minute, felt like the rooms were rented by the hour. We even shoved a chair under the door handle. We then had to return a few days later and once again did not get any sleep we got woken up at 3am by a girl screaming so loud running down the corridor screaming for help!! We were so scared we just laid in our bed waiting for daylight so we could go!! As two female travelling together I would not recommend this hotel, but if your travelling with your partner and on a budget than perfect.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank emmy1983
Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Its a decent hotel if you're tight on budget and also want to remain close to the city center. Considering that I was travelling on business and had particular requirement to be close to the market place, this was a great hotel for me. Though, the rooms are on the smaller side, the furnishings were fine. The bathroom was clean and things were working the way they should. The staff was very helpful in directing us to decent restaurants. The breakfast was fine as well.
My only major problem was when there was no electricity. Uganda has a major power problem and this hotel has little infrastructure to prevent those problems from affecting its customers. My last night in Kampala was atrocious. There was no light from the time I got to the hotel (10 pm) after my day in the market until 5 in the morning and the hotel wasn't capable of running their generator continuously for that long. As a result I spent half the night in my dark bedroom being bitten by mosquitoes and the rest in the hotel lounge trying to get some sleep on the sofa kept in the lounge, where thankfully there were no mosquitoes.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Winterthur
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed there for one night, as it was the starting hotel of a tour we did. Great location right in the city centre, great to explore the vibrant city center. However, also makes it quite noisy. Room was large, but bathroom was not properly cleaned. Buffet breakfast was good.

We did not feel safe during the stay, as it looked as everyone could enter the hotel and no control was done by the security guy at the entrance.

Power supply was a real problem, we had power maybe for one hour during the evening and otherwise sat in the dark and had to watch television as the only option. I know, power is a problem in Africa, but when paying 75$ per night, I expect them to have a generator to produce power if normal power supply stops.

The card to enter the room did not work during the whole stay and the staff was not able to change it, so we always had someone to come with us to our room to open it.

Furthermore, no mosquito net was provided, which I would expect for this price.

I would rather choose another place maybe not that close to the center, but with better value for money.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Express for one night before departing Uganda. We opted for a room with AC ($89 USD) versus the one without ($77 USD). The extra $12 was money well spent. We thought the place was very clean, and the staff very friendly and helpful with laundry, directions, and making arrangments for airport transportation. Breakfast is included and while unremarkable, does fuel you up for the morning.

We had a minor incident at the hotel, of which I won't go into the sordid details. But what I will say is the hotel manager, Raphael, sought me out when we returned from shopping and resolved it in a very satisfactory and professional manner. I had not anticipated this and was very impressed.

The hotel is in the middle of a congested shopping area and there is street noise. We were able to tune it out and our sleep was good. Aside from the value of the hotel is its location. It is a 10 minute walk in one direction to the African Village for crafts and a 10 minute walk in the other direction to the Craft Market. It is 5 minute walk from the Owino Market. There is also a small and well organized vegetable and fruit market across the street. There are any other hundreds of shops in the area and a nice wine and spirits store just down the street. The wine and spirits store opens from 8 am until only 6 pm, so plan accordingly if you need booze.

We felt very safe at all times walking and you just have to step out into traffic as it virtually never ceases. Taking a taxi in town for short distances is almost useless as you can walk faster than most cars move. There are plenty of guys that will give you a ride on motorcycles but we passed on that mode of transportation.

I thought Holiday Express was fine place to stay, especially for souvenir shopping. If I needed to stay in Kampala again, I would not hesitate to stay there. But to be honest, I would probably make the extra hour drive to stay in far less hectic Entebbe.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple