Protea Hotel by Marriott Kampala
Explorers Hub(Kampala)
Fairway Hotel(Kampala)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsbusiness tripbusiness hotelthe hotel staffmodern hotelbreakfast and dinnerthe hotel offersrooms are cleanrooms are bigair conditioningchapterwifigymconferencekololomeetingmattressessecurity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Have stayed here over 30 times on my visits to Kampala and it is my preferred business hotel in Uganda.
Large well appointed rooms, a good breakfast selction, personal attention from staff and nice vibe from the hustle and bustle of Kampala. The rastaurant leading out on the garden is a good place to meet and there is good gathering in the pub each night.
Very comfortable beds.
There is a small gym that is adequate for a run or a cycle.
Internet seems to be a constant challenge.

Room Tip: Choose South facing rooms onto the garden
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Convenient location in Kololo. The rooms are very basic but enormous. Ask for one with a balcony - it is pleasant in the morning or late afternoon/evening, and somehow the internet works better. Service is friendly. Excellent value.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lam N
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Having never been to Kampala before I wasn't sure what to expect, and had no basis for comparison. So I'll just list what I see to be goods and bads.

On the good side the rooms and grounds are kept up nicely. I believe my room was the smallest class of room, but it was still a decent size, especially the bathroom which was quite large. Bed was comfortable, and I was pleased to find an in-room safe that was big enough to hold my laptop.

The hotel restaurant serves a pretty good breakfast buffet, and I had a decent dinner there as well. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and if you needed to go somewhere it was convenient to have them call up and cab, and even charge it to your room. In terms of location, there are some restaurants and bars within walking distance.

I stayed here because this was where the rest of the people from my company were staying, but if I go back to Kampala I would imagine I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Reactor1966
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here because I have always had a good experience at Protea hotels in Africa.
It feels a bit harsh only giving this an ‘Average’ because in many respects it is certainly a good hotel.
The service is generally friendly, the food is good, the building is new and rooms are well appointed.
But I have marked it down for the following reasons:
The bedroom had a number of small details that had not been repaired as they should have been in this standard of hotel.
The air conditioner was a bit noisy.
The reception staff members are friendly but seem not to be as well-informed about the city as might be expected.
I was not over-impressed by the attitude shown by one of the senior management when I raised a query.

The above seems rather picky but then again the hotel is expensive, indeed I feel that it is rather overpriced compared to other hotels in this class in East Africa (including Nairobi) and so I feel that these criticisms to be valid.
I would consider returning but would be expecting higher standards next time.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Protea Hotel, is located in Kololo, a peaceful area, where expatriates live. It is neighboring other restaurants and drinking places which go on through the night, in case one loves partying you can't get bored. The hotel has great service and the food variety and taste is superb "value for money'. The rooms are neat, though the price is slightly on the high side. It has a package for conference facilities 41$ per person. I'd recommend it for anyone visiting Kampala.