“Ying Yeng”

Ranked #62 of 97 Hotels in Kampala
Arusha, Tanzania
“Ying Yeng”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Big lavish hotel, big rooms with big bathrooms. Some rooms are very well furnished... some appear rather spartan. perfect location in Kampala... However there is a foul smell through out the hotel... i think they need to rip out the carpets..i have stayed there over time, and with every visit i feel a standards are going lower and lower... restaurant is not too bad, but dinner may be a problem, i once ordered something and was not sure is it was fish or chicken....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TheEATraveller
imperialhotelsUG, Public Relations Manager at Imperial Royale Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2015
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel
We sincerely apologize that you found your visit not perfect, sorry about the carpet smell, we had issues with it but it has been resolved, We hope you will return to experience the many enhancements we made.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Arabic first
Jonkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

The hotel is conveniently located in central Kampala. It looks very impressive and elegant both from the outside and even once inside the actual hotel. The hospitality is very good and the service level is high. The rooms are large and the furniture stylish seams to have high class but then when you examine a little closer, you discover that both hotel rooms and furnishings are a bit worn and frayed. Basically, we were very pleased.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Dick W
imperialhotelsUG, Public Relations Manager at Imperial Royale Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2015
Dear Dick,
Thank you for choosing our hotel, and for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodation and our service.
Our hotel aims to provide a truly unique experience, and we are thrilled that we were able to enjoy your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Looking through the reviews here a lot of people are getting the Imperial Royale and the grand Imperial hotels mixed up. I stayed here traveling alone a year ago while doing work with a group at makere University. The rooms were large, I found the staff friendly. For 2 mornings we had no hot water in the bathrooms for showers, but it was usually good by evening. The hotel was empty most of the time for the week I was there probably less than 30 people were staying at this huge hotel. I spend most of my time not at the University working with the rest of my group who were staying across the street at the Serena. I found the breakfast service to be good, however if you did not ask your server you would not have known what was available. I had dinner one night in the restaurant It was a good chicken dish and reasonably priced. On my last day I asked the tour desk in the lobby about tours and they provided me with a private guide who drove me to all the spots in the city for about $80 I was very happy with the guide and my tour was much better than my friends who took some type of a group tour from the Serena.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed for just over a week for work and part holiday. Staff not helpful and room had bugs. Gym good, food average, rooms large. Main business is in providing conference facilities. Not really for tourists.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Kampala hotels

North Battleford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Imperial Royale Hotel in Kampala with a group of tourists (Compassion Canada) in early July. I was very impressed with the service we received. The management and hotel staff went out of their way to make our stay very enjoyable. One server (Eliot) met us every morning and greeted us for breakfast. He had the ability to start our day on a great note. I hope to make it back to Kampala in the future, and will certainly recommend your hotel to my friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Pat,

Thank you very much for sharing your amazing review of our hotel, your remarks are very valuable.
Management will be sure to share the same with the entire team for we believe that it is such feedback that keeps them very motivated and encouraged.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
jennaliseandtoby
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I was given a key to a room that was dirty, no bedding and smelled of smoke. It took ages for the front of house to sort it out. Also the men staff didn't help me with my bags - they just stood around. When I was given a key to a new room a woman was sent to carry my bags- which I carried myself because I was upset that the men didn't do it. Perhaps it's cultural but I didn't think it was appropriate.

Room Tip: The room service was quick.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

When I checked in, I found there were 3 women and a man bumbling drunk around the lobby. One of the 3 women was loudly demanding money from the man for her services, asking when she was going to be paid. The staff did nothing- major red flag. When I spoke to management about the issue, the response was that this was a high profile guest and he was part of a multi-million dollar conference being held at the hotel. So much for respecting the law and quality service for all guests. Additionally, the lights were turned out throughout the hotel and it appeared like the set of a horror film. The room only topped things off, smelling musty, the shower handle falling off in my hand when I turned it on and rusty disgusting trash can. The bathroom design was such that the shower water flowed out under the shower door soaking the floor. The toiletries left much to be desired, with old labels peeled off and mystery substances of bright blue and yellow colors. Don't go here. Bad ambiance, poor management.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business