“Home away from home!”
Review of Humura Resorts

Humura Resorts
Ranked #5 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Humura is an absolute delight. The rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable--perfect for getting work done. But the staff really makes this place. Hannah saved our trip time and again by connecting us with trustworthy vendors in Kampala. The housekeeping staff works tirelessly to keep the rooms and grounds tidy. Hilda, Christine, Olivia, Grace, Freida, James, and the rest of the staff made our (large and at times demanding) group feel at home. We were sad to leave them!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Humura, Front Office Manager at Humura Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear as3502,

Allow me to take this opportunity to thank you very much for choosing Humura Resorts as your preferred place of residence during your recent visit to Kampala and for sparing valuable time to write a rave review about our property. We greatly appreciate the vote of confidence and commendation.

We are truly delighted to hear that we were able to meet and exceed most of your expectations that made your stay with us comfortable.

Thank you very much for your patronage of our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back, it will be a pleasure hosting you once again.

There are newer reviews for Humura Resorts

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I did a workshop with a group of fourteen here for a week. As there are only eighteen rooms this was nearly the totality of the hotel. Humura is so nice, green and peaceful you don't want to leave it for the traffic madness of Uganda. At nights you here frogs instead of cars, and birds in the morning. This is due to a unique setting near the golf course, but still it is very centrally located, close to Makerere University, UWA and National Museum. Rooms are wonderful, spacious and very clean. Staff is absolutely wonderful. Food is good but not specatcular. They have two very nice conference rooms which accomodate groups of 20 and 12. Perfect for small workshops. I will stay here everytime in Kampala allthough it is not cheap.

Room Tip: All rooms are good

Dear stefandreas,

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Humura is a gem. Having stayed in nearby hotels within the same price range, I can say confidently that you will not do better elsewhere. The breakfast buffet is delicious, and has plenty of options, and the cooks are happy to cook your food to order. The staff is more than friendly - they are caring and helpful. Because of the staff we were able to find great drivers, and other local contracts at a good price. James, Hannah, Christine, Hilda, Rose, Oliva, Richard, and all others who work there made the stay fantastic. When back in town for work, I will be at the Humura; when back in town for leisure, you will find me there too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Humura, Front Office Manager at Humura Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear CSW60,

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Humura is a nice hotel. I would not normally give it five stars on its own, but the staffs attention to detail and genuine caring for the guests makes this a spectacular stay. Hannah is an absolute gem. The place would not be the same without her. She is a top notch professional and really knows how to anticipate guest needs. Olivia and Rose are wonderful at breakfast. Their smiling faces just make a wonderful start to your day - in addition to remembering what your breakfast preferences are (like Coke Zero!). James at the bar at night is delightful to talk to and is great at his job. Hilda and Christine at the front desk are also wonderful and help make your stay great. There were a few hiccups while we were there but the staff was attentive to them immediately which is all you can ask for. The surroundings are lovely but there really isn't a pool, per se.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again the next time I'm in Kampala!

Room Tip: Take one on the lower floor because they were recently redone.

Dear Cliffsideinn,

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Nice and peaceful stay whilst in Kampala on working trip.Decent type bungalow style rooms,I had No.18.nice surroundings within secure complex.Clean rooms and friendly staff,from admin,to room maids.One little gripe,it took three days to fix my defective A/C unit but they did give me a portable unit,on the second night,TIA(this is Africa!).Food was good and Buffet Breakfast more than adequate.Chilled-out surroundings,nice cold beer after a hard days work.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jan T
Humura, Front Office Manager at Humura Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Janet T

Please accept our sincerest apologies that your air conditioning unit did not work properly. At your convenience, please feel free to share more with us reservations@humura.or.ug because your comments will go a long way in ensuring that our service levels are improved and that your stay next time is a lot more comfortable.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I recently stayed in the Humura resort with my partner and it was a fantastic stay. The staff were superb,friendly and very very helpful. Hanna was brillient very helpful, polite, friendly and always ensuring everything was ok well done Hanna. Only had to ask once for anything and it was done. The food was as good as any I have eatern anywhere every meal was great and the fish was excellent. James at the bar could not have done enough he is an asset to the Humura and a lovley guy. The room was clean and fresh and kept that way for the duration of our stay. The shower water was sometimes cold but hey this is Africa get used to it, quick call to reception grab a cold beer or a tall G & T served by the friendly bar man James, by the time you have had that the waters hot. Rose in the resturant was a gem very friendly and always asking if everything was ok, she couldent have done enough for us thank you Rose. The room maids have to get a mention to because they also done a great job our room was always spotless and turned down every night and the mosquito net put in place. I will most definatley stay in this hotel again should the need arise, it will be my first choice a small friendly intimate wonderful place to stay. Have to mention the pool which is more than adequate for a decent swim and cool off and was cleaned every afteroon of our stay, however at first glance in the mornings you would think it was in need of a clean this is not the case what you are seeing are the leaves that have blown in during the course of the night and as I said the cleaner is there every day cleaning it out.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen B
Humura, Front Office Manager at Humura Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Mr. Stephen,

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Let me tell you about my stay here and I'll let you be the judge:

Check in took about 40 minutes because the woman at the front desk answered the phone twice in the middle of my check in to take reservations.

On the way to my room I walked by the 'pool' to realize that not really a pool but rather an over-sized well. It was filthy.

I wanted to shower before I went out, but there was no hot water. I called the front desk and they said they were working on it. 30 minutes passed and I tried it again. Now there was no water at all. not a drop. I went out dirty.

I came back happy to see that the water was back on, but really only lukewarm water. After showering I reached for the single towel that was in the bathroom to see that it was frayed and stained. I used the bath mat to dry off.

After getting dressed I laid down on my king size bed only to realize that is was actually two twins pushed together with a hard seam in the middle to join them. About as comfortable as a sack of potatoes.

I turned the AC unit on to find that it only had only two settings: 'Antarctica' and 'Satan's taint.' I ended up having to switch it on/off every 15 minutes.

I ordered room service. They were out of my first choice, they were out of my second choice, so I ordered the fish and chips and a beer. After 10 minutes one of the staff came to my room with just the beer and said he would be back with the fish. After 40 minutes passed, and I had long finished my beer, the fish came. The staff said he would be back with the bill. (Why he did not bring it with the food is unknown to me). About 15 minutes into my 'filet-o-fish'-quality meal, the staff came back for a third time to interrupt me with the bill. He then asked to clear my plates but i was not done eating so I asked him to come back in about 20 minutes. He didn't.

I was ready for bed. I pulled down the sheets to find stains, hair, and dead mosquitoes. Did they even change the sheets from the last guest? I was too tired to care so i just brushed it off and got in. That's when the guests next door came back.

Paper-thin walls. I could not only hear the couple next door speaking, but i could understand their every word. I could hear their footsteps, their sink running, their toilet flushing, everything. It was like I was in the room with them. They didn't go to bed until 2am, so neither did I.

I woke up at 3am to the sound of my AC unit making a noise about as loud as a slamming door. That's when i realized i was absolutely covered in bug bites. I know this is Africa but I mean come on...

The next morning I was exhausted. I took another lukewarm shower and set out for the day around 9:30 am. Breakfast was mediocre.

I came back around 3pm to find that my room had not been cleaned even though i had placed the over-sized, bright orange "PLEASE CLEAN ROOM" sign on the front of the door. The old fish and chips plate from the prior night was still in my room so you can imagine the smell.

That brings us to the current moment as I sit here writing the review. This hotel is so unbelievably terrible that I am actually taking time out of my stay to write this review in the hopes that future travelers do not make the same mistake I did. I would not stay here again even if it was free of charge. I would not stay here again even if you payed me to. This place is a true hospitality disaster. An atrocity.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Anywhere else. A park bench would be more hospitable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank TheWordOfYourLord
Humura, Manager at Humura Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear The word of your Lord,

Humura always appreciates feedback from our guests as we use it to continuously improve the service we provide our guests whom we value. First, we would like to sincerely apologize that your stay was not ideal. We pride ourselves in indeed being a nice place and providing our guests with very good and personalized service. Second, we are responding to your review as we feel that the points you raise are not reflective of the majority of those who stay at Humura.

The lady at the reception explained to you that you had come early and explained to you that check in time was at 2:00pm. She asked you to make yourself comfortable in the reception area as a room was being prepared. One of the phone calls she made was to your tour agent informing them that you had arrived and was doing everything possible to arrange a room for you.

Our pool is cleaned a minimum of once a day and during the rainy season, there is sometimes cause to do extra shock treatments which initially cloud the water. Many of our guests enjoy swimming especially during the very hot weather. However on the day of your arrival the swimming pool was under maintenance and chemicals were being added to the water.
We apologize that you had no hot water in your room; our solar mechanics were up grading the system during your stay. However whilst this is happening we have a back up water heating system.

In each room there is a manual for the AC remote so that guests are able to set the conditioning for their preference. If you had rung reception which is manned 24 hours a day, they would have been able to assist you with this.

For security reasons, there is only one copy of each key in the hotel. In your room there is a note explaining if you wanted your room to be clean then you need to leave your key with reception when you leave the hotel. In this case I think you forgot to leave the key with the reception which led your room to be cleaned after you had returned. We have professional and hygiene conscious housekeepers who change guest beddings every day and unless they are asked not to by the guest.

We also apologize that the service was not to your expectations. The points that you have mentioned have been taken down keenly and the F&B department has been cautioned.
Management is working on the issue of the thin walls and is in consultations with our contractors to have the issue sorted.

Unfortunately, I was not informed of any of your issues during your stay of which I could have rectified. In any event, we look forward to welcoming you back to Humura Resorts and we hope that you would be able to see the improvements that we are continually striving to make.

Thank you.