“Seems a bit rundown, perhaps too much competition?”

AidChild's Equation Cafe' and Gallery
Ranked #49 of 304 Restaurants in Kampala
Description: See what people are writing in the visitors’ book at Aidchild’s Equation Café—located exactly on the Equator Line!• "Possibly the best shop on the planet!" --Emma Thompson, Actress and Humanitarian• “For someone who has been to approximately thirty African countries, this place came as a surprise where I thought it would be difficult to be surprised. Keep up the good work. Very impressive.” --E.D., PhD, Germany• “Brilliant idea. Elegantly executed. I am inspired.” --P.A., USA• “Love this place! Well done.” --S.W., Uganda• “Great coffee and great muffins. Excellent!” --K.K., Uganda• “Unbelievably fast internet and great muffins.” --L.B., Australia• “Wonderful display, delicious snacks and even the presents come nicely wrapped. Thanks and good luck!” --J.S., Isle of Man, UK• “Wonderful place. Excellent display. Great in every aspect.” --L.R., N. IrelandSo when you venture south of the Equator—on your way to visit the gorillas at Bwindi, or the lions and elephants at Queen Elizabeth National Park, treat yourself to the ten minute stop that takes hours off the safari—at Aidchild’s Equation Café. The art gallery and café with a difference.Equation is an income generating project by Aidchild—fostering self-sustainability and community development in Africa—exactly at the Equator Line.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Aidchild 's Equation Cafe and Gallery supports Aidchild's charity work with AIDS orphans, etc. in the area. When it started there weren't too many other options at the Equator Marker. Now there are a number of craft stalls on either side of the highway and at least one other restaurant or cafe. I remembered it having good food and desserts, but there wasn't much available the day I dropped by. I was traveling on a Tuesday, and it was a rainy day. Perhaps it has more items and vitality on the weekend.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

The last time I stopped over at the Aidchild Cafe on the Equator Line before this week my group and I had a blast and swore to make this our new stopover en route to South-Western Uganda. The service was excellent, the food nice and they lived up to their promise of providing internet access.
Plus, their billboard campaign as you drove down from Kampala was very lively and promising.
This week, though, I have sworn never to go back till they improve and demand a little forcefully that I go test them out.
There were five people bustling about in the kitchen doing nothing when I walked in, and four people sitting in the dark waiting for their meals.
I asked for the quickest item on the menu and was told everything was "quickly", then insisted on what would be quickest, and got involved in some comedic exchange with a sullen, female Manuel from Fawlty Towers who eventually took my order into the back and didn't re-appear.
Another lady eventually emerged, this one smiling at least, and took my order for teas - promising I would see them in ten minutes; what I did see ten minutes later, by keeping an eye on the kitchen door, was the sight of the female Manuel prying some frozen fish apart in order to make my Fish Fingers...oh, yeah, she also offered me Chicken Fingers and I just had to try those out of curiosity.
Long story short, the four customers we found huddled in the dark (apparently electricity was out and they couldn't be bothered with switching on a generator) left without their meal and swore never to return - they couldn't buy anything from the craft shop either because nobody cared to show them around or even speak to them while they were there.
My group's food eventually arrived and we swallowed it down even though it was neither nice nor tasty, and our attempts to get the smiling girl to understand where the establishment was going wrong were totally wasted.
Whoever owns this place had better get back into their business or take down the signs to replace them with, "Just Another Lousy Joint With Bad Food, Service and A Terrible Atmosphere".

Reviewed 18 October 2012

I visited AidChild's Equation Cafe 4 years ago, and it felt like a great and relaxing place to take a break! Beautiful location right at the equator line.

I visited it again in October 2012, with visiting friends, and I was quite disappointed this time round! The service was terrible! Very poor customer service and care! We waited an hour plus to have our orders of the simplest meal served, and when it came, the food was so bad! We were tempted to move away and eat at the neighbouring restaurant which seemed to have better customer care, but we had travelled all the way with our visiting friends, just to visit this place and contribute towards their cause.

With such a beautiful place, with a beautiful reason to exist, they could do much better!

Reviewed 5 June 2012

location is nice but food totally totally overpriced and pretty terrible. The sister restaurant in masaka has had a nice extension built but so noisy and food so bad cant possible see how a restaurant supporting children can let the possible profits dwindle.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I can't believe what they achieve in the middle of a rural village. Amazing! You must stop. Best darn muffins in the world! Excellent service. Great art. At first, I thought they were expensive because it's such a nice gallery, but when I compared their prices to the little kiosks outside, Aidchild was the same or cheaper! And all the proceeds go to charity. Love this place!