“decent, good location, big room.”
Review of Golf Course Hotel

Golf Course Hotel
Ranked #18 of 100 Hotels in Kampala
Amman, Jordan
“decent, good location, big room.”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Hello,
I spent 4 nights at Golf Course Hotel in Sep 13, the overall feedback is “the hotel just exceed my expectations” in terms of services, locations and staff.

- The location is super, near major shopping center from which you can find some restaurants and shops, convenient location to stay within the city.
- The room is really large, clean with an awesome view of the golf course
- Wifi in the room was good.
- The staff are really courteous, friendly and polite
- The swimming pool was also lovely one.
- The hotel providing a very pleasant location to take your breakfast.

it is extremely good for business stay

Definitely will stay here next time.

Hope this will help.

Room Tip: “make sure your room will be facing the golf course to avoid the noise coming from the road and also...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
Dunkeld, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

8 days stay at the Golf Course Hotel prior to moving into long term accommodation. Initial reaction was very positive with a large room, airy and spacious with a fine view over the golf course. Huge bathroom with very large corner bath and a shower. Comfortable bed. Quiet. Decent choice of restaurants, both outside (Patio) and a Steak type restaurant inside.
Cons were the bathroom shower changed temperature frequently. Surely you can get this right. It is no fun to stand in a warm shower then have freezing and then scalding water. Unacceptable in a hotel of this apparent quality. Free internet which was variable, sometimes very fast then went off altogether. Usual excuses of ISP provider, but again it should not happen and hotels of this quality should have back ups. 2 power cuts during the stay resulted in each case about 4 hours of no electricity, no TV, no Internet. Again they should have back up generators. Power goes off all the time in Kampala, for the price it is appalling that they don't have back ups. And the final insult was on check out when you try and pay by credit card and they convert the Uganda Shillings to USD and then if you are using a credit card (as I was) in GBP, you get stung on all the conversions PLUS pay a 4% service fee to the hotel. This is ILLEGAL under Visa scheme rules. The only reason they get even 2 stars is that the room was comfy. Too many poor deliveries and too much variability to justify more. Friendly staff in the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank gam8le

Travellers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Enjoyed staying at the hotel. As the name states the hotel overlooks the gold course, providing for a very pleasant location to take breakfast. Rooms are large, a bit dated, but generally quite good. Gym is in the adjacent shopping centre, certainly not the greatest, lots of broken machines, but at least enough working for a workout. Staff are friendly & helpful, although check-in & out is quite a time consuming exercise. The Hotel can arrange for shuttles to and from the airport, which assists. Kampala itself has shocking traffic, so if you need to be in central Kampala this is a great location.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The hotel is well located with 2 malls next to it and was fairly close to my business meetings. Breakfast is good with plenty of options and variety from day to day. Rooms are in good condition with reliable wifi. There are several restaurant options for meals so it doesn't get monotonous. The Revolving Restaurant is a must-visit.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the golf course to avoid the noise coming from the road. Also the view on t...
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The good is that the rooms are very spacious and niclely fitted out in all areas. The breakfast is very nice with plenty of options. Very convenient for the 2 major shopping centres, which are next door.
The bad are the hotel taxis which should treat their own clients fairly but I was asked for 5 times the regular fair to travel just round the corner. In the end I walked with my trolley suitcase. When I complained they told me there would be an enquiry and they would inform me, but that never happened.
The ugly is payment of the bill. The invoice I received was in US Dollars but when I tried to setlle the bill, in cash,they rejected half of my bills as not being acceptable!! I got the notes from The Central Bank of a European country but they are not good enough for Uganda. One was deemed too old and others had stamps on. I told them that was all I had as my expenses were sent country by country so if they didn't accept them then tough. They tried to say the local banks will not take them but I had changed many of these 'bad' notes at the Bureau De Change in the shopping centre next door and they have to use the same banks.In then end they took them but they should warn you and state which notes they accept.

Room Tip: Do not get rooms in the middle of the floors as they have a running machine and excercise bike outsi...
1 Thank Martin C
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Nice hotel to stay for business or leisure, quite a convenient location to stay within the city. Food at restaurant is also ok. Ask for rooms on 4th floor on left hand side. No to lemon juice as they make it very sour. 5 days stay costed about close to 1K USD. Precautionary travel, take medcines for malaria etc

Room Tip: Room on 4th floor, roadside are bit noisy if ur sesitive to sounds avoid them
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I was in Kampala on business for 7 days in mid May, and having stayed at this hotel in the past, decided to do so again. I had previously had a good experience at the hotel, and had a relatively high opinion of it, but this visit changed that.

For the first few days of my trip everything was fine, however on the fourth or fifth day, I saw two cockroaches in my room. I reported this to the hotel, which sent a maid to spray the room. She said that the room might need to be fumigated, and left me the spray can in the meantime. They were to get back to me about the situation, but never did. I was out during the days on business, but the following evening I found more cockroaches. I checked out the following day, and had probably killed about 10 roaches in my room before I left the hotel.

When I checked out, I told the front desk about all of this. They offered apologies, but did not explain why nothing further had been done and made no effort whatsoever to provide any sort of recompense or other acknowledgement of the problem. The manager was apparently not in or available to speak to me when I was checking out, so I asked the front desk staff to alert him to this situation and have him contact me via the information they had on file for me. In particular, I told the staff that they, and the manager should consider whether they believed this situation was handled properly, and whether they thought that under the circumstances it was appropriate that nothing further should be done. I never heard back from them, so apparently they and the hotel could care less. It looks like after paying lip service with their half hearted apologies, they simply decided to ignore the whole thing. I wonder if the next person in the room had to similarly deal with the infestation.

Funny, prior to this trip, I had always had a good experience with this hotel, and I've usually found the staff quite helpful. Obviously this trip has changed my opinion, and neither I nor my colleagues will be staying there in the future.

D. Thorne

Room Tip: Hope your room doesn't have cockroaches...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business