“Gross! Yucky hotel and totally not worth it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Aponye Hotel

Aponye Hotel
Ranked #72 of 97 Hotels in Kampala
Durham, North Carolina
“Gross! Yucky hotel and totally not worth it.”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We recently stayed at the Aponye because Lonely Planet said it was the best value for money and we were terribly disappointed! It was hot (only a fan), small, had no hot water, was loud, had a yucky bathroom, and the staff were totally unhelpful. I may have been able to hack this in my student days (I do backpacking so am no diva when it comes to budget hotels) but this placed has a LOT to be desired. Bathroom window did not lock and were worried about leaving our bags in the room. Check out is 10:30 AM and if you check out any later, they charge you half of a day. When you tack that on, you might as well just stay at a more expensive hotel where you have a cleaner, better room with good service. Shame on Lonely Planet for recommending this place!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Gulu, Uganda
Reviewed 23 May 2014

On my second night in this hotel I walked into my room to find a huge rat running back and forth between the bed and the window. I called the front desk and to say they were interested in helping me would be a stretch. They sent a security guard to look around and shrug his shoulders, so I asked to me moved to a different room. When I turned down the bed a cockroach scuttled across the sheets. I went to the bathroom and there were cockroaches pouring out of the drains. I called the front desk again and they told me they would come and spray the next day. "What about the beds?" I asked. "We'll spray those too!" they said.

In conclusion, if you really like lying in pesticides and/or with roaches and rodents, book this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Bleeeurgh

Travellers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I had the most expensive room which was okay... could have been cleaner... there was a tv, sometimes hot water (not much pressure), a nice table with chairs, wifi, it's in one of the busiest streets of Kampala beware of pick-pocketers... There's a lot of guards in the hotel... As the doors are thin and the guard was 1 meter between me and himself with only a thin door it felt really unpleasant to sleep and have guests... I felt I had no privacy... I sometimes brought the guards some food but soon everyone started to ask for food at my door even reception when they called and I found that so unprofessional I checked out earlier and found myself a better up-scale hotel... It started to feel unsafe...

Room Tip: Go for the most expensive room...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Esteban B
london
Reviewed 20 October 2013

APONYE hotel is central, safe, secure and affordable.

When you arrive on local transport a random times of night you want to be safe and secure in a bed as soon as possible. Aponye caters for you.

*10 minutes walk from local bus terminals.
* guards 24 hours at the main entrance, and lift access points
* free wifi - if it works.
* remarkable quiet at night as the street is mental during the day with deliveries and trading.
* staff are informed and when you ask for information are willing to share it.
* room service with cheap beer!
* tvs in rooms and mozzie nets.
* water may lack power and heat! but if you are transiting this is manageable.
* bugs wise - saw 1 small one in the room and a dead one in the hallway from the street - but again not infested so was not a worry for us.

check out 1030 and bags can be stored in a locked room or behind reception if you ask.

handy, safe, secure and affordable.

deluxe suite - 65,000 shilling a night is one of the more expensive rooms not European or middle eastern deluxe but ok all the same.

Room Tip: 505 was fine and quiet - lift worked when we were there October 2013
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zarajepson
London
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My friend and I stayed at Aponye hotel in September. We really needed to get a place to have some rest after being in different parks in Uganda and somewhere clean but in the centre town! Aponye hotel was the right place for us. My friend was very happy because for him it was the first time in Kampala, and to pay a fair rate for the room, good food at the restaurant in the hotel (especially buffet) we were happy to 1 week in that lovely place. Almost all the staff is friendly to the guest and ready to help and answer your questions whenever you need (All staff speak really good English so you can find out what you need to know without problems).
The room was very clean and one thing I noted is that everything works very well, especially the lift, which helps a lot when you are in 5th floor of the hotel. I realized that in Uganda it seems that most places you go, things are always broken in the hotel but at Aponye hotel everything was in order. The bedroom had a large wardrobe in which was great - somewhere to put your clothes - this can be lacking in some other hotels. The TV has almost all the international channels. The security at the hotel is perfect, all the time a security personnel is moving around to find out things are right. “are you ok?” they ask that question all the time.
The hotel driver can take you anywhere you want to go in town and direct to get things you need.

The price is good, clean hotel, friendly staff and security check up point well organize, I really recommend Aponye Hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Aponye Hotel in June 2013.

The hotel is a 6-story building in an extremely packed part of Kampala. There are security guards with rifles outside the entrance, and another security guard (no guns this time) on each floor at the entrance to the stairs after that. There's also an operational elevator!

The rooms look like a modern, simple motel in a Western country, and are perfectly clean with good solid locks. The service was so good - none of the useless "service" you get in some places. They have wifi, but it doesn't always reach the upper levels. You can get room service from the restaurant at any time of the day. There's also a storage room, where the receptionist sleeps, whilst doing the night shift, which is always guarded by a security guard and they let you leave your bags there for any period of time, free of charge. We used the service while we went to see the gorillas and happily found our bags, safe and sound, awaiting us upon our return.

The only let-down was the showers and hot water system. The showers don't often work (like, the pressure is really bad), and the hot water is intermittent. It's always warm enough, just not super hot. For the equivalent of $22 Australian dollars per night, we didn't mind!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weissman145
Provo, Utah
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I first looked at another hotel right next to the city center that cost more and was much dingier and then was lucky to read about Aponye in the Lonely Planet. Yes, my fifth floor corner room as incredibly noisy because there are screen-protected holes in the wall for ventilation, the reception staff was apathetic and I had to request change for laundry 4 times before we got it, and the menu in our room was "old" so the kitchen kept trying to charge us a little more than the list price. By this time I had been backpacking in Africa for a while so I wasn't surprised by any of this. My only real complaint is the noise.

Now the upsides: my wife was sick as we arrived in Kampala so we were incredibly happy to find this hotel that offered a clean room, a hot shower drizzle, air conditioning for the only time in Africa, and lighting fast wi-fi in the lobby. The hotel also happens to be in the pharmacy district with 20+ pharmacies which was nice.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple