“Best place to feel home and meet people”
Review of ICU Guesthouse

ICU Guesthouse
Ranked #7 of 213 Kampala B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2013

ICU guesthouse is a great place to stay when you are in Kampala. There is a mix of long and short stay guests. The rooftop bar/lounge provides an excellent place to relax and meet other people. The first day I arrived I was immediately invited by the other guests to join them for dinner in the city center. I stayed in ICU for 4 months and never had any problem. The employees are very friendly, open and informal, which give you a real feeling of coming home after some days in the field. The guesthouse is located just outside the busy and dirty city centre in a green peaceful neighborhood. The owner of the guesthouse is Dutch and lives in Uganda, which makes him an easy contact person if you have any problems. He also arranges affordable safari's and it is easy to join up with some other people in the guesthouse to safe costs on your safari.

If you would like to feel at home and meet people, ICU is the best place to be!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 April 2013

My friend and I stayed at ICU guesthouse for two nights. We chose a double room because we don't like dorm much but the double bed is very small, I'm 165cm, 47kg and my friend is about the same size and it was very uncomfortable for us to sleep on the same bed. The internet was down on our first night but once it was fixed, it was quite fast. You can hear everything that is going on around the guesthouse so it was quite difficult to sleep while others were partying. The location is not convenient and most boda boda don't even know where it is but it's not a bad place to be considering it's not a good idea to stay in the center as the pollution is too much. I doubt how people can breathe in the city! When we stayed there, some people who stayed in a dorm got their stuff stolen. We got our bags searched by the police and stuff. I can feel that the management took it very seriously but some thing needs to be done at this place. Dinner was quite expensive at 20,000 UGX.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank thelittlevoice
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Very basic rooms, beautiful terrace. ICU is a nice place to chill out - its in a very quiet neighbourhood although the house itself echoes the movements and conversations of most of the other guests. If there were a rowdy group here sleep might be difficult.

It seems slightly overpriced for the room but the terrace, good WIFI and chilled atmosphere makes up for it. The profits also go to support a local school which is a nice bonus.

ICU is a little way out of the centre of town - a boda-boda should cost 2,500 or 3,000 UGX from the centre of town - good luck negotiating that price! Its not super easy to find but if you call the friendly and helpful staff should be able to direct your driver.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I stayed for almost 3 months while I worked in town. While it is nice, and safe, you can get better prices and a better experience elsewhere. I was woken up by loud groups at all hours of the day and night. The guests treat the staff like personal assistants and the owners allow this. If you aren't Dutch, you will be treated as a second class citizen. But fear not, the owners will treat some people worse than you...the staff! I was appalled by how badly Sarah and Sander treated the staff. During my stay, they fired many wonderful people (who had been working there for a long time) and hired new people who were not nearly as good or friendly. Oh, I cannot forget about when my roommate was told we had to switch rooms with 10 minutes notice. Or when Sarah lectured me about my virtue and to stay away from Ugandan men. I didn't realize I was paying for a mother as well. If you want rest and relaxation, go elsewhere. There are plenty of great places in Kampala!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank travelbug902
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The guesthouse is absolutely a great place to stay to check out everything that Kampala has to offer. It is clean, service is great, staff is very helpful. They offer delicious meals and the fridge is always full of cold drinks.

I've visited this guesthouse a couple of times already and I will surely return.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed a few nights at the beginning and the end of our two-month stay in Uganda. THe guesthouse is nicely located just out of the very busy centre of Kampala, a 10 minutes bodaboda-drive (quite adventurous experience!). It's a lovely spacious guesthouse, we stayed in the smaller and the bigger dorm, which were both good and clean, with most of the times warm water in the (also very clean) shared bathrooms. The staff was really very friendly.
We organised a car with a driver through ICU (Grassrootz) for a week, organised accommodations ourselves. It was really great to have our own car, so much freedom, and the driver Paul was a great guy, so kind, drove very safely, and gave us the best tip we could get for accommodation in fort portal (rwenzori view guesthouse).
One of the best holidays i ever had!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marjon1987
Reviewed 22 October 2012

From August 11th until September 2nd in 2012 I went with my wife and two friends on a trip through Uganda, organized by Grassrootz. We began in the ICU Guesthouse, which belongs to the same organization. For me this was the sixth time (apart from being a traveler I also run a foundation) in this Guesthouse, which feels like home in Uganda to me. Rooms not selfcontained but are tidy and spacey enough, toilets and showers are clean, even when used by many visitors, and the food is allright. There's a nice rooftop bar which is always crowded with tourists and volunteers staying in Kampala. Never a dull moment there! Only thing is the sofa's in that bar need more pillows to be comfortable!
It's not the best hotel in town, but I'm sure everyone will feel very happy and relaxed here. Owner Sander van Zanten is often around and solves every problem you think you have. And if he doesn't, his wife Sarah will!

The trip itself was very well organized and decently priced. Hotels were ranging from okay to top. We had a very good and careful driver, spotting whatever game there was and good fun to be with.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple