“If you are planning on having a restful nights sleep, don't stay here”
Review of New City Annex

New City Annex
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kampala
New City Annex
Ranked #51 of 213 Kampala B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Where do I start? This place in its entiety is awful.
I arrived here at 8pm after two flights and a crazy scary matatu ride only to be told by reception, that my booking wasn't existent. I not only called a week prior but I followed up by an email too. I booked for the cheapest room and was put into the second cheapest as none of the rooms I.booked were available. This room had no windows and no fan. It was like a sauna. I managed to get two hours sleep because locals were in and out of the hotel laughing, yelling and making general noise as well as leaving lights on. This isn't a hotel, but a drop in centre which is constantly loud throughout morning and night. Originally, I booked for three weeks given lonely planets positive review. I lasted 2 nights. The restaurant downstairs was awful too. The staff don't know what the items are on the menu. I asked for a simple dish, which came out wrong twice and ended up being salty liquid with soy sauce that was.intended to be minestrone soup. Of course, I was still charged for it.
Upon checkout, reception not only charged me.for the 'upgrade' but they then proceeded to tell me that my name wasn't and I had originally booked for the most expensive room. What?! Turns out they never received my email which clearly stated my name and room preference.
DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and loved it. The location is perfect- right next to the national theater and walking distance from GREAT restaurants and bars. Even though its in the city it is surprisingly quiet. Also they have a secure safe for all of your valuables. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. Each room had a fan (which was nice because it would get hot at night).

Room Tip: Rooms on the level of the reception area (and not above the restaurant) give you balcony and roof ac...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I stay here often when traveling through Kampala as do other Peace Corps volunteers. Windowless single rooms are 25k. Two single beds run around 40k. It's a good location within walking distance of the taxi park, craft markets and western malls and atms. There's a courtyard in the middle to have a beer and shared hot showers and bathrooms.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've stayed here twice and had two completely different experiences, but after my first I gave it another try and was glad that I did.

My first time at New City was on New Years Eve and I didn't get more than a few minutes sleep because of all the noise and excitement happening outside my the window of my street side room. That is obviously no fault of the establishment, they just happen to be located down the street from the largest New Years party in Kampala but I was jet-lagged, exhausted, and did not enjoy my first night in Uganda. I did ask to be switched to a new room but they were completely booked that night. The following morning they were ready to put me in a better room though.

My second experience was much better than my first and made me happy I decided to give them a second try. We had a much better room, more in the interior of the building, the staff were very friendly, and we had a good night's rest. The rooms are clean, the showers are hot, and you really can't beat the location and price.

They are located right across the street from the National Theater and the craft market, you can walk to Nakumatt Oasis and Garden City, and there are many excellent restaurants a short taxi or boda ride away. So if you don't want to spend much on accommodation but would like to stay in downtown Kampala I recommend the New City Annex. Just make sure to ask for a room further from the road!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Since you pay 20,000 for the room my expectations wasn't very high. And when it comes to the room, the cleanliness and the service I have no complaints. Room was tiny with no window but clean, staff was friendly and helpful. But... the noise was very bad. I am a heavy sleeper but I did not sleep well that night. Throughout the night people were checking in and out and having chats, and maybe I was unlucky because I was quiet close to the reception, but through my thin walls I could hear peoples conversations word by word (not joking). If you want a good nights sleep, go somewhere else, if you are short on money and don't like sleeping, this place is great.

Room Tip: Try to stay as far away form the reception as possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

The budger rooms are no frills, but have a fan and a window even if it looks out onto bricks of another building. The shared bathrooms doesn't have a fan so it gets a bit musty, but it's kept clean. The showers are nice with good water and pressure at the time of writing. Good Indian food close in either direction and right next to the National Theater, which has free jam sessions on Monday night between 8-11pm and worth a visit. Also has Internet nearby but overall lacking in cheap close food, but there are plenty of Indian supermarkets nearby.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I've stayed here around 20 times. Great location and value. They had an issue with theft around 5 months ago, but the management fixed it rather quickly.

The double and triple rooms are great for the price (40k and 60k). The single rooms are awful unless you get one with a window. The showers are great. Staff is slightly more helpful than your average Ugandan hotel of this caliber. The restaurant is horrible.

They keep the prostitution rooms to the single rooms in the front - avoid those. The wing of the annex that is not where reception area is the better bet and newer. Get a double or triple to avoid any worries, its worth paying more to lower your chances of getting the bad rooms.

Room Tip: Get a double or a triple to avoid the prison cell feel of the single rooms. Room 121 is the best dou...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo