“Lovely Stay”

Ranked #8 of 100 Hotels in Kampala
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed here for a 3-day meeting (with an extra day to relax) and had a great experience. Staff was extremely friendly and accommodating (did it help that we were part of an important group?). I arrived in the middle of the night, but got checked in within minutes and he also carried my bag to my room for me. Room was lovely and spacious and the balcony had a great view of the lake.
I got two massages while there for a great price of USD$30 - deep tissue and the massage therapists were strong. Breakfast buffet was tasty and loved the fresh made eggs. Lunch buffet was also pretty good with some variety (though not a huge amount, which was fine by me). Never tried the dinner buffet - we either ordered off the a la carte menu (never had a problem with this) or the bar menu.
The meeting room was great, and we had snacks at our breaks that were tasty. Staff were very attentive.
A few complaints - the construction is really an eye sore, and it starts rather early, which isn't great when you arrived at 4 am. The road to the hotel is a bumpy ride (off the main road) but manageable. But you definitely get the sense you are remote.
Hotel is not right on the lake (too bad), and it's surprising there is no option to go to the lake. They could offer a sunset cruise or something like that to add some variety (and get you out of view of the construction!).
I would also recommend that the hotel place its meeting guests close to the main building, since we spend our whole day there!

Room Tip: ask for a lake view with minimum construction. closer to the main building if you want convenience...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Kapoeta, South Sudan
Reviewed 21 August 2013

While I really enjoyed all the amenities at the Lake Victoria Serena, I cannot in good conscience give a good review after having all of my cash stolen out of my room. I reported the incident to the staff, but since my wallet was in my bag and not in the safe, the hotel cannot claim responsibility for the theft. Still, I expected more from a resort of this caliber. I at least expected that the manager would return my email or phone calls to follow up with my report of the theft, but they are avoiding both. Don't stay here unless you want to get robbed.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hannah F
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I visited the hotel again and found quite a number of major renovations. Compared to other hotels of its class around Kampala, I would opt for it for its calm and beautiful view of the lake. The Piano player is a great delight, and his music helps liven the lounge area. The food is excellent, caters for both International and national preferences. The road to the hotel is still rough, but definitely much improved from the it was a year or two ago. The hotel has and still constructing extra suites and bungalows to meet the different interests and budgets of its customers. In my opinion its best for business guests, and ideal for conferences. For smaller budgets, a walk in for just a meal is very refreshing. Could stay at the Lubowa Gardens which is a short drive away, and walk in for a meal that is definitely tastier than most places in the same area.
My disappointment though was with the fact that we could not use our Credit card to pay for our meals. The waiter told us the network was done...So carry extra cash for the 'rainy day'!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The hotel feels incomplete and unfinished (synonyms, but quite the feel)
It is midway between Kampala and Entebbe but quite a drive interior with an earth road that was slippery in the rainy season.
Check-in reception was lukewarm, the rooms are located far from the central building and are just dismal. I had to request a room change 3 times before I could get a moderately acceptable room.
The hotel is not on the lake side and buildings around as well as other cottage block the view.
I was not all impressed with this “Serena” hotel, service was lacking, food was average, conference facilities organization took forever and we had to take over and arrange the room ourselves.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Mixed thoughts on this hotel. Some aspects were excellent whilst others were disappointing. We actually stayed here prior to our two week safari after British Airways changed our flight dates meaning we had a couple of days to fill. This is a good hotel to relax and not do to much. The pool is good, quite large with good poolside bar but not nearly enough sun lounges as they ran out whilst we were there. Food at poolside bar was good and sensibly priced. Spa and gym were both good with good choice of treatments. Bedrooms were good size with large flat screen TVs with good selection of international channels and nice balconies. Good size bathrooms and generous toiletries and complimentary water. The Customer Service Manager was excellent and arranged tickets for a Uganda v Tanzania football match and delivered them to us at the other Serena in Kampala after our safari. She also organised replica football shirts with our names on to wear to the match plus various other trinkets. Her efforts were much appreciated.

The downsides included the food and location. The main restaurant was large yet dark with heavy wooden tables. Breakfast was average. Evening meal was primarily a buffet which we don't like and the only other choice was to eat in the bar where food selection was limited and slow and the music was loud seemingly for the benefit of the staff as they were the only ones in there. Not recommended for food at all. The location is near, but not on, the lake but a long way from anything else. There are few places to walk to so once in the hotel that's it. The pictures on the hotel website might give the appearance that the hotel is on the lake but it isn't and there is quite extensive building going on between the hotel and the lake including a number of large villas. These have significantly worsened the view from the main buildings of the hotel towards the lake. There is also a golf course and marina being built but these seem to be a couple of years behind schedule and some way off being finished. Once finished the hotel will feel more like a Mediterranean resort rather than anything in Africa. I did walk across the building site down to the lake but had to be accompanied by a staff member because of the building work going on. Try and get a room looking over the western side of the lake as you won't then have to look at the building site below.

There are no trips or activities that can be undertaken from the hotel. The hotel did have details of trips from Entebbe (30 minutes drive away) run by local tour organisers but they were really expensive and you had to get to Entebbe and back as well.

WiFi was very patchy and often didn't work in the bedroom or even in the main hotel buildings.

Security at the front gate was unusual. We all had our hand luggage searched and my wife's handbag was searched overly thoroughly with almost everything coming out, yet our 4 large suitcases were wheeled right past security next to us with no search what-so-ever. Superficial and irritating at the same time.

Room Tip: Make sure you use the Room Safe that is provided and don't leave any CASH or other valuables in...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris J
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

In general this hotel is very poor. Rooms are dirty and certainly not worth the $400 price. Staff was fine. Unfortunately I have heard its the best place to stay in Kampala. Instead, check out The Boma in entebbe which is 5 minutes away from the airport. It's a real gem!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank GlobalSwagger
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Selected as an ideal conference hotel for delegates from all over the world, the Lake Victoria Serena Resort certainly did not disappoint. The full-board conference rate was excellent value for money, the conference facilities and accommodation were of a very high standard, and the service by all staff - from the business centre assistance, to the serving and reception staff - was prompt, friendly and helpful. All of the staff are clearly well-trained and take pride in their work. I would highly recommend a stay at this resort to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business