“A lovely place to stay”

Ranked #9 of 101 Hotels in Kampala
Johnstown, Colorado
“A lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed again at the Lake Victoria Serena hotel for 2 weeks in September. The downside to this hotel remains the bad road you must travel to get there. The upsides are many. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the views and ambiance are very pleasant, the staff is friendly and efficient. The food is good, although when they have a buffet it is a bit overpriced. The pool is beautiful with comfortable seating, a nice bar, food service poolside, etc. Wifi worked well and is provided at no extra cost. My only complaint is that the night before I left there was a party at the pool and the music was so loud that you could feel the vibration of it in the floor of my room. Half the volume would have been loud enough for the party to enjoy it and would not have been so disturbing to hotel guests. It went on til 11pm which was way too late for the comfort of hotel guests who had to get up early to go to work the next day.

Room Tip: I always ask for an upstairs room for security purposes. The ground floor rooms have a patio door t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, beautiful views, very modern hotel. Brilliant facilities. So impressed with this hotel that we have decided to have our wedding there next year. Only down side long 2km bumpy road leading to hotel, but thats Uganda.

• Stayed September 2013
Honiara, Solomon Islands
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This is a very satisfactory hotel. Our group of six received an excellent welcome and received good service throughout our two stays there. We always ate in the main restaurant or had lunch at the pool bar and the food was always enjoyable, frequently excellent and sometimes brilliant. The buffet breakfasts and dinners offered plenty of choice and represented good value.
The disadvantages of the hotel are mainly geographical - the distance from Kampala is a nuisance - you can hire a car and driver for $125 to take you on a tour of some of the sights in the capital and as there is more to see in the city than you might think, it is well worth doing such a trip despite the cost. At least this hotel is much nearer to Entebbe Airport than the major Kampala hotels. The geography of the hotel site is also a nuisance - some of the rooms are situated a distance away from the main block where the restaurants and reception are located and to get into the main building also involves walking up 2 long, quite steep flights of steps. Despite its location near Lake Victoria and a nice view of the lake, I didn't find the hotel campus to be particularly pretty even though the Spanish-style architecture of the blocks where the rooms are situated was attempting to make everything more picturesque.
The rooms were large and comfortable and had good-sized bathrooms though why the rooms did not have a bath in them rather than just a shower is a mystery to me. Superior grade rooms have baths. There is free wi fi in the bedrooms which is good.
For bird spotters there is a good range of bird life to see in the gardens but the campus is built on hills which means some mild climbing if one wants to take a gentle ramble around the site. The hotel shop is very small and has very little on sale that is of interest - even the range of postcards gives little choice.
I would be very happy to stay at this hotel again, preferably for a relaxing three or four days rather than the short visits we paid there on a hectic tour of Uganda.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank white_knight_and_dog
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 4 September 2013

So I was here briefly to teambuild for Medical Access a not for profit organization that was having a conference.

The place has such a fantastic design , great service and good food. Feels like its still under construction but I think it would be great for couples to hang out. Didn't inquire for kids activities but I think I can re kindle love here.

Murram road, gets you to the hotel off Entebbe rd with quite high bumps.

I recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed here for a 3-day meeting (with an extra day to relax) and had a great experience. Staff was extremely friendly and accommodating (did it help that we were part of an important group?). I arrived in the middle of the night, but got checked in within minutes and he also carried my bag to my room for me. Room was lovely and spacious and the balcony had a great view of the lake.
I got two massages while there for a great price of USD$30 - deep tissue and the massage therapists were strong. Breakfast buffet was tasty and loved the fresh made eggs. Lunch buffet was also pretty good with some variety (though not a huge amount, which was fine by me). Never tried the dinner buffet - we either ordered off the a la carte menu (never had a problem with this) or the bar menu.
The meeting room was great, and we had snacks at our breaks that were tasty. Staff were very attentive.
A few complaints - the construction is really an eye sore, and it starts rather early, which isn't great when you arrived at 4 am. The road to the hotel is a bumpy ride (off the main road) but manageable. But you definitely get the sense you are remote.
Hotel is not right on the lake (too bad), and it's surprising there is no option to go to the lake. They could offer a sunset cruise or something like that to add some variety (and get you out of view of the construction!).
I would also recommend that the hotel place its meeting guests close to the main building, since we spend our whole day there!

Room Tip: ask for a lake view with minimum construction. closer to the main building if you want convenience...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Kapoeta, South Sudan
Reviewed 21 August 2013

While I really enjoyed all the amenities at the Lake Victoria Serena, I cannot in good conscience give a good review after having all of my cash stolen out of my room. I reported the incident to the staff, but since my wallet was in my bag and not in the safe, the hotel cannot claim responsibility for the theft. Still, I expected more from a resort of this caliber. I at least expected that the manager would return my email or phone calls to follow up with my report of the theft, but they are avoiding both. Don't stay here unless you want to get robbed.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hannah F
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I visited the hotel again and found quite a number of major renovations. Compared to other hotels of its class around Kampala, I would opt for it for its calm and beautiful view of the lake. The Piano player is a great delight, and his music helps liven the lounge area. The food is excellent, caters for both International and national preferences. The road to the hotel is still rough, but definitely much improved from the it was a year or two ago. The hotel has and still constructing extra suites and bungalows to meet the different interests and budgets of its customers. In my opinion its best for business guests, and ideal for conferences. For smaller budgets, a walk in for just a meal is very refreshing. Could stay at the Lubowa Gardens which is a short drive away, and walk in for a meal that is definitely tastier than most places in the same area.
My disappointment though was with the fact that we could not use our Credit card to pay for our meals. The waiter told us the network was done...So carry extra cash for the 'rainy day'!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends